GSP is GOAT, and it's not even close: A lazy Sunday morning coffee discussion

FullRoundAldo

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Let's narrow the race down to two people right off the bat: GSP and Fedor. Anderoid and Boner pills Jones are disqualified due to being caught cheating, MULTIPLE TIMES. I know some of you MIGHT want to throw Mighty Mouse in there, but I find that laughable. He is king in a Bellator tier division, the Hector Lombard of 2017. IF he faces ANY of the top 3 at 135 he is sure to get son'd, which is why he wants nothing to do with those Superfights. He is comfortable being the paper p4p champ, and the UFC is comfortable agreeing with that narrative to keep promoting a weak division they put a lot of time and money into, and don't want to scrap for financial reasons.

But I digress...Why is GSP GOAT? Aside from being the most overall consistently talented and athletic competitor of all time, aside from dominating the 2 guys that beat him in spectacular fashion, showing BOTH the loses were flukes, aside from beating the active champs in 3 divisions, his longevity factors kill any hopes of Fedor being GOAT. This is coming from someone who was Fedor's biggest fanboy in his prime. GSP moved up a weight class and took the belt, after having 3 years off, at roughly the same age that Fedor was losing to a 205 catch weight Dan Henderson and a Werdum whose standup skills were still very rudimentary. If we were to be honest here, BECAUSE of longevity, Werdum is pretty close to Fedor in GOAT status. doesn't beat him, but is in the top ten.

So there you have it, simple and as observable as the sky: GSP is taking belts from bigger guys in the UFC after 35, Fedor is losing to the UFC's bench warmers in Bellator and Strikeforce. I hate to say it, but some things need to be said. As fans of Fedor in his prime, we can't start being as delusional as Anderson fans, we need to accept observable reality. Fedor WAS GOAT, but GSP caught up.

I'm going to go back to this delicious, Columbia roast. If you're wondering, I like my coffee like the GOAT likes his...

legacy. Sweet full of flavor. Cheers.

il_340x270.1343060284_etjw.jpg

Let's narrow the race down to two people right off the bat: GSP and Fedor. Anderoid and Boner pills Jones are disqualified due to being caught cheating, MULTIPLE TIMES. I know some of you MIGHT want to throw Mighty Mouse in there, but I find that laughable. He is king in a Bellator tier division, the Hector Lombard of 2017. IF he faces ANY of the top 3 at 135 he is sure to get son'd, which is why he wants nothing to do with those Superfights. He is comfortable being the paper p4p champ, and the UFC is comfortable agreeing with that narrative to keep promoting a weak division they put a lot of time and money into, and don't want to scrap for financial reasons.

But I digress...Why is GSP GOAT? Aside from being the most overall consistently talented and athletic competitor of all time, aside from dominating the 2 guys that beat him in spectacular fashion, showing BOTH the loses were flukes, aside from beating the active champs in 3 divisions, his longevity factors kill any hopes of Fedor being GOAT. This is coming from someone who was Fedor's biggest fanboy in his prime. GSP moved up a weight class and took the belt, after having 3 years off, at roughly the same age that Fedor was losing to a 205 catch weight Dan Henderson and a Werdum whose standup skills were still very rudimentary. If we were to be honest here, BECAUSE of longevity, Werdum is pretty close to Fedor in GOAT status. doesn't beat him, but is in the top ten.

So there you have it, simple and as observable as the sky: GSP is taking belts from bigger guys in the UFC after 35, Fedor is losing to the UFC's bench warmers in Bellator and Strikeforce. I hate to say it, but some things need to be said. As fans of Fedor in his prime, we can't start being as delusional as Anderson fans, we need to accept observable reality. Fedor WAS GOAT, but GSP caught up.

I'm going to go back to this delicious, Columbia roast. If you're wondering, I like my coffee like the GOAT likes his...

You're correct about GSP.

But you sound like a dork, so this conversation is over.

/thread.

If your penis depended on you guessing correctly whether GSP juiced some time during his title defense streak, how would you guess?

Silly ts

Can’t be goat by decisioning most of your opponents, tapping to strikes vs lw, retiring after controversial split decision n of course can’t forget greasing

GSP = The Decisionator!

Keep Dreaming and stop putting Bailey's into your coffee!

Bloody Mary is a better choice.

GSP putting the Muscle Shark on his back.

gsp_sherk_medium.gif

Ducking under an Alves right hand.

UFC100-GSPAlves-10.gif~c200

Puttin an ass whoopin on prime Fitch.

1413921394GSP4.gif

Sorry, just reminiscing about prime GSP. I don't know if you guys heard but final form GSP just choked Michael Bisping unconscious at UFC 217, Georges debuted at UFC 46. <Eek2.0>

GSP lost two fights in his 20's.

Fedor lost three fights in his 30's and one in his 40's.

Pretty much a wash.

If anything, its worse to lose in your 20's than your 30's, but actually both are part of the normal curve for athletes. Take a look at Olympic gold medal winners - the peak age is 28. Very few win gold medals in their 30's (as in less than 10% of gold medal winners are over 30), very few win gold medals in their early 20's).

Choosing between the two is just a question of personal preferences. For what its worth, both Fedor and GSP have said they have huge respect for each other, way more than their fans have for the other.

And despite the problems Anderson and Jones have had with PED's, they won many fights before testing positive, so they're part of the GOAT discussion as well.

Basically as far as I can see there are the big four (in no particular order): GSP, Anderson, Jones, Fedor, and the differentiation between them is like kids arguing about what's the best color:

'red'
'no you're wrong, blue's the best color'

Last edited:
So we want to pretend that GSP didn’t run from Mike Perry to MW?

GSP lost two fights in his 20's.

Fedor lost three fights in his 30's.

Pretty much a wash.

Maybe we could call it a wash but it doesn't account for the fact GSP rematched and destroyed both guys he lost to. He also has the most Top 5 wins in MMA history.

Silly ts

Can’t be goat by decisioning most of your opponents, tapping to strikes vs lw, retiring after controversial split decision n of course can’t forget greasing

GSP = The Decisionator!

Keep Dreaming and stop putting Bailey's into your coffee!

Bloody Mary is a better choice.

Would you rather be caught and TKO'd or absolutely dominated for 25 minutes?

It's not like he was squeeking by with close decisions. The vast majority of GSP's opponents couldn't come out of a loss thinking he got lucky but they could beat him in a rematch. They came out of it realizing they are completely outclassed. That seems like it would be a harder pill to swallow.

As a die-hard Fedor fan, GSP doesn't get to take the crown for beating Michael fucking Bisping....

However, I cam't deny that a victory over Woodley or Whitaker (Whitaker, moreso) would have him take the top spot....

To deny him at that point would be to say that Fedor can't be surpassed....Im not that stuubborn, but it takes more than a win over Bisping for me.....and I would pick GSP over Woodley and Whitaker.....I hope he does it.....the passing of a goat torch happens rarely in sports....we are lucky to be fans of a young enough sport where records will constantly be broken....

GSP putting the Muscle Shark on his back.

gsp_sherk_medium.gif

Ducking under an Alves right hand.

UFC100-GSPAlves-10.gif~c200

Puttin an ass whoopin on prime Fitch.

1413921394GSP4.gif

Sorry, just reminiscing about prime GSP. I don't know if you guys heard but final form GSP just choked Michael Bisping unconscious at UFC 217, Georges debuted at UFC 46. <Eek2.0>

These were 'good' fighters, not 'great'.

The only great fighters GSP beat were BJ Penn who was always undersized from a lower weightclass, and Matt Hughes.

Fedor as overrated as he is, beat Nog and Cro Cop.

Anderson smoked Hendo, Vitor and Sakurai.

Lets not even start with Jon Jones.

GSP is one of the GOATS but pointing to the names he beat is not gonna be a good argument for him.

As a die-hard Fedor fan, GSP doesn't get to take the crown for beating Michael fucking Bisping....

However, I cam't deny that a victory over Woodley or Whitaker (Whitaker, moreso) would have him take the top spot....

To deny him at that point would be to say that Fedor can't be surpassed....Im not that stuubborn, but it takes more than a win over Bisping for me.....and I would pick GSP over Woodley and Whitaker.....I hope he does it.....the passing of a goat torch happens rarely in sports....we are lucky to be fans of a young enough sport where records will constantly be broken....

Fedor already had the torch stolen from him in 2006 by a certain Brazilian Spider. After Pride he fought a MW, a freakshow, a past prime fatso coming off a loss, glass chin Arlovski and a car mechanic who beat the glass chin I just mentioned, and then went on to get wrecked by 3 guys one of which a MW who was crushed by a certain spider right after Pride.

Try as you will to convince yourself and others that Fedor's overall career is better, but that is wishful thinking. Try to cherrypick and say he was better at a certain time or whatever, so what? GSP is still winning titles long after Fedor tanked, and had tougher competition the whole way.

You can believe what you want to believe, and spin it any way that makes you feel good, but the truth is quite apparent.

Fedor's notable title defenses

- Big Nogx1
- CroCrop x1
- AA

Noteable mentions
0 win streak Tim Sylvia
A green K1 Mark Hunt.

Thats it in 7 years.

GSP already has a greater title defense reign in regsrds to quality opponents.

Majority of Fedors TD's were against guys with a 1 win streak and is filled with cans like

Khosaka, Nagata, Fujita, Colemanx2, Randleman, Zulu, HMC, Matt the law Lindland.

Back