Werdum fights beautifully

ManjesterUnited

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
The guy is 40 yrs Old. But he aways brings something new, other types of kicks, flying knees, some trolling faints.
Today he pointed to the ceiling and said: "look" for tybura. I thought it was very funny.

Even winning by points Werdum kept going ALL IN.

He is a example of fighting. Hope that younger fighters with more gas follow his example.

He's a bad match up for everyone if you cant put him to sleep early

I´m a huge Werdum fan, but I´ll have to disagree with you here. Not taking anything away from Tybura, but I thought Werdum looked sloppy in his striking again and he left himself open too many times; he chased Tybura around a few times like he did agaisnt Stipe; he kept fainting punches to get close for the MT clinch (which wasn´t working like it worked against Cain), but at some point he was just telegraphing those strikes to get that clinch and was leaving himself exposed.

Well, a win is a win and maybe I´m being a little too critical of his performance, but I expected a more dominant win or a finish, and I saw some holes I didn´t like and I think that other better HW fighters may be able to capitalize and exploit it.

Last edited:
Not taking anything away from Tybura, but I thought Werdum looked sloppy in his striking again and he left himself open too many times.
Yep.

But hes been that way for awhile. His age makes it worse. Its his grappling that allows him to get away with throwing the kitchen sink at people everytime he gets tagged. His lack of defense really urks me,especially when eh played rockem sockem robots with cain when he didn't even need to.

Yep.

But hes been that way for awhile. His age makes it worse. Its his grappling that allows him to get away with throwing the kitchen sink at people everytime he gets tagged. His lack of defense really urks me,especially when eh played rockem sockem robots with cain when he didn't even need to.

This. He left a lot of openings tonight that a better striker could've taken advantage of. Still, he looked better tonight than in his second fight vs Browne. Outside of the flying kick and the punch he dropped Browne with, he looked absolutely awful in that fight (especially compared to his 1st performance vs a much more game Browne).

Tybura was a HW with 18 fights who faced legit competition and never had lost by stoppage (other than a doctor one of course), i think people aren't giving him credit here.

This. He left a lot of openings tonight that a better striker could've taken advantage of. Still, he looked better tonight than in his second fight vs Browne. Outside of the flying kick and the punch he dropped Browne with, he looked absolutely awful in that fight (especially compared to his 1st performance vs a much more game Browne).
Better striker? Dude, look HW top 15, the only ones who could beat Werdum in stand up fight are probably Hunt and Volkov and maybe Hunt is not fighting again.. Volkov can do it, but can he defend takedowns like Tybura did? Volkov was taken down a lot against Denis Smoldarev at Russia and couldn't get up, and against Timothy Johnson he should had lost. I don't see any "better striker" taking advantage of Werdum's defense, this is HW, you can't expect fighters to move and strike like LWs or WWs.

Tybura was a HW with 18 fights who faced legit competition and never had lost by stoppage (other than a doctor one of course), i think people aren't giving him credit here.

Better striker? Dude, look HW top 15, the only ones who could beat Werdum in stand up fight are probably Hunt and Volkov and maybe Hunt is not fighting again.. Volkov can do it, but can he defend takedowns like Tybura did? Volkov was taken down a lot against Denis Smoldarev at Russia and couldn't get up, and against Timothy Johnson he should had lost. I don't see any "better striker" taking advantage of Werdum's defense, this is HW, you can't expect fighters to move and strike like LWs or WWs.

Stipe, Overeem and JDS could as well

Respect went five rounds high pace without slowing down
I want to see him vs Stipe again
fok the other guys

I´m a huge Werdum fan, but I´ll have to disagree with you here. Not taking anything away from Tybura, but I thought Werdum looked sloppy in his striking again and he left himself open too many times; he chased Tybura around a few times like he did agaisnt Stipe; he kept fainting punches to get close for the MT clinch (which wasn´t working like it worked against Cain), but at some point he was just telegraphing those strikes to get that clinch and was leaving himself exposed.

Well, a win is a win and maybe I´m being a little too critical of his performance, but I expected a more dominant win or a finish, and I saw some holes I didn´t like and I think that other better HW fighters may be able to capitalize and exploit it.

You're absolutely right. Werdum IS a very sloppy striker, the fact that he gets praised as world class is honestly a joke. His whole approach is that he knows people don't want to take him down, so he just wades in - which is why he's found himself levelled by people who actually know how to strike.

I was actually kind of suprised that Tybura wasn't able to knock him out.

Werdum is a good fighter, but Cordeiro doesn't really teach good technical strikers.

You're absolutely right. Werdum IS a very sloppy striker, the fact that he gets praised as world class is honestly a joke. His whole approach is that he knows people don't want to take him down, so he just wades in - which is why he's found himself levelled by people who actually know how to strike.

I was actually kind of suprised that Tybura wasn't able to knock him out.

Werdum is a good fighter, but Cordeiro doesn't really teach good technical strikers.
His striking has been super overrated for a while now. It's effective, but far from the technical mastery people claim.

Not suprised tybura didn't knock him out though. Despite being ko'd by stipe and jds werdum still has a solid chin and tybura is an arm puncher

but Cordeiro doesn't really teach good technical strikers.
you don't know shit about MMA or you are a brazilian hater, which one? Werdum dropped and had a close stand up fight with fucking Overeem to a fucking stupid noob like you say that he's not world class, just ridiculous.. how many world class are them? who is better than Werdum? Stipe, JDS and Overeem = 3, there's no other "world class" fighters? lmao

His striking has been super overrated for a while now. It's effective, but far from the technical mastery people claim.

Not suprised tybura didn't knock him out though. Despite being ko'd by stipe and jds werdum still has a solid chin and tybura is an arm puncher
a effective striking is a good striking, you don't need to be very technical, we have a boxing champion who isn't

Why are people praising his striking..? His striking looked horrible tonight.
Out of all fights... why praise it after this one? lol.

Why are people praising his striking..? His striking looked horrible tonight.
Out of all fights... why praise it after this one? lol.
he outstruck badly the 8th ranked HW, simple as that.. his striking is not very technical or suitable to more rigorous eyes but it works, it clearly does.

Apart from his ace ground game, Werdum brings forward pressure and a high workrate for a HW. He's also got a few flashy moves in his repetoire. That said, both his and Tybura's boxing looked bum level last night. Neither seemed capable to keep balance when moving or to throw hard shots to actually hurt their opponent. Instead, we got two chubby guys sort of staggering around after each other throwing arm punches. Keep it crisp, dammit!

Back