Jake Matthews not fighting to his potential

Pseudo Sane

Black Belt
Reaction score
He actually showed some flashes of talent when he was actually fighting rather than panic-wrestling. He was able to land some punches and time a nice takedown in the third.

But it was pretty clear he was fighting scared and was gifted the win as the hometown fighter.

Not writing him off yet though.

It's almost like training with your dad in some random city in Australia is limiting at the highest levels of the sport.

Really hope he makes the move to a major camp, because like TS said -- there are flashes of his talent now and then that make you think he might not be the down-under erick silva after all

It's almost like training with your dad in some random city in Australia is limiting at the highest levels of the sport.

Really hope he makes the move to a major camp, because like TS said -- there are flashes of his talent now and then that make you think he might not be the down-under erick silva after all

/ thread

Really

He gassed badly and he either needs to add more strength or down to 155.

I really thought this Guy was going to be great at some point

He actually showed some flashes of talent when he was actually fighting rather than panic-wrestling. He was able to land some punches and time a nice takedown in the third.

But it was pretty clear he was fighting scared and was gifted the win as the hometown fighter.

Not writing him off yet though.
Fighting on home soil is more of a curse than a blessing in my opinion. Seems the fighters freeze under the bright lights and do not let it all go because they are too tense and afraid to lose in front of the home crowd.

Now add your dad in the mix. That’s a LOT of pressure not to lose and yep, Jake got a gift decision

I really thought this Guy was going to be great at some point

Erick Silva jokes aside, he is only what, 23? And it looks like the physical tools are there. He was definitely capable of winning that fight for real, and he is the right size for the division.

He would also probably benefit from not having his dad in his corner.

I didn't even know who the two fighters were, but Mathew's was gifted that decision. He definitely lost the fight

He lost that fight. He is young but looks a long way from being a contender

I’ve gave up on him after the Holbrook fight.

Getting his whole shit ruined by Kevin Lee will do something to your confidence. He used to look like he was enjoying fighting, now he looks like he is scared to get hit even when he is winning the stand-up exchanges.

As pointed out prior training under your dad in Australia isn't optimal conditions but I think this is more mental then physical/game-planning.

I'm not seeing this potential. To me, he's just a young lad who has grown up training MMA from day one - in other words, a cookie-cutter jack of all trades with no real, proper focused A-Game. He's not a great striker, not a great grappler, he's just a big, athletic youngster who's durable.

Back