Do you guys think ring rust is real?

12ga.

Gold Belt
Reaction score
I was listening to a podcast with Kevin Lee and he was saying you need time away to learn new skills so he's taking off until August maybe September and that you cant really learn anything new in camps fighting every 3-4 months. So does this mean you actually can get better with a ~ year off and ring rust is not real? Yes/no? How long way until ring rust is real?

I can tell you that I’ve never seen a ring plug a hole.

Its a mental state that can be fixed with proper preperation imo.

I think it's overrated imo

The only elite fighters I can recall returning after a long layoff are GSP and Cruz, both won

Frank Shamrock did as well, he won

Same with Bas

Am I missing any Elite fighter that lost due to ring rust?

Ring rust being real or not depends on how you train. Most good camps avoid ring rust via heavy sparring.

I think it's real, but one opinion I've expressed in the past was that fighters should take time off to build new skills. I'm guessing you have to get tunnel vision when you have a specific opponent coming up in a few months and need to just practice to go for what you know in the fight vs trying out things that are new to you.

Without a fight coming up, a fighter has time to expand their abilities without pressure of an acid test in the near future.

I think ring rust is real also. For one thing, a lot of fighters who show signs of ring rust are not only out of competition, but also probably haven't been training for the whole layoff.

A psychotic would not experience it, say someone like the warrior Conor McGregor!!!!

I was listening to a podcast with Kevin Lee and he was saying you need time away to learn new skills so he's taking off until August maybe September and that you cant really learn anything new in camps fighting every 3-4 months. So does this mean you actually can get better with a ~ year off and ring rust is not real? Yes/no? How long way until ring rust is real?
Good point.
But imo ring rust is real and he should focus on fighting more often and perfect the techniques he already has and not on learning a plethora of new techniques.
quote-i-fear-not-the-man-who-has-practiced-10-000-kicks-once-but-i-fear-the-man-who-has-practiced-bruce-lee-17-13-68.jpg

tumblr_nv0danEGNf1ueu615o1_500.gif

It depends on the fighter of course. GSP said he felt ring rust only when Bisping was elbowing him on the ground because you can't train for that during camp since getting cut during practice is highly probable so it can be to specific areas as well. So it depends on the fighter and situation.

Ring rust is one of those old ass boxing terms that doesn't make any sense today.

Fighters train 365 days per year today, if he isn't injured he is using that time off the get better, and Kevin Lee is right, when you are constantly fighting like he was it's hard to acquire new skills because you are more focused on gameplan and get in fight shape.

Good point.
But imo ring rust is real and he should focus on fighting more often and perfect the techniques he already has and not on learning a plethora of new techniques.
quote-i-fear-not-the-man-who-has-practiced-10-000-kicks-once-but-i-fear-the-man-who-has-practiced-bruce-lee-17-13-68.jpg

tumblr_nv0danEGNf1ueu615o1_500.gif
That was a new technique though.

Developed in secret by Sensei Seagal.

Cruz vs Mizukaki

Cruz was off 3 years with injury, look what he did

Spending 3-4 years off not fight due to retirement is different to say spending 6-9 moths to learn a new skill.

Its a mental state that can be fixed with proper preperation imo.
Agreed. I feel like ring rust is not as much of a problem with highly professional and structured fighters or guys that spar so hard that it's almost a real fight.

Yes it’s real!

I haven’t stepped foot in an octagon in over 30 years.....and would get murdered if I did now!

Yes and no. Not every situation is the same.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back