GSP vs. Bisping - A Forecast

krelianx

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Many have noted that the new, bulkier GSP looks a bit slow and soft in recent footage. It makes good sense he would be less lean and quick, however:

1) People tend to forget he tore his ACL again right after he retired. This makes two ACL injuries, which naturally suggests his knees have sustained damage.
2) He is going up a weight class.
3) He is three years older at 35, and has been out of it for three years.

Now, Georges is very strong and with the added muscle he might be stronger than before. But people tend to forget that his major offensive and defensive weapon, which is the double leg, was so effective because of the amazing explosiveness and speed with which he reacted with excellent momentum in a blink. Georges isn't an upper body takedown wrestler; he relies on his shot to neutralize his opponents from top position with control and great jitz.

With this speed diminished due to added weight and weaker knees, even if he is physically stronger, he won't be able to successfully close the distance and counter with the takedown as effectively. With that said, it is doubtful that Georges can sustain a long stand up war with Bisping. The latter is larger, much more fluid with his combos, and durable as hell. Georges is not going to knock Bisping out like Henderson, or overwhelm physically him ala Rockhold. He has neither the power or size.

With that said, I am expecting him to lean down a bit in the pending 22 or so days before the fight. He will be leaner come weigh in, and look better than now come fight night. Recent footage might have been collected a few weeks ago as well, and every day counts for weight loss-cutting.

But this is shaping up to be a very steep battle with Bisping.

Bisping is going to absolutely smoke him. Too big. More active. And gsp doesn’t have the one shot power to put Bisping away. I took bisping early at +150

He can and will take Bisping down. But first he´ll jab his one good eye into "bolivian".

No offence TS but you've took way too much time to write that for what's gonna be a Bisping UD

George will take that good eye and shut it down.

GSP could hav reinvented himself and could show us some surprises.

I'm just wondering how you figure he's slower now? Is there any proof of that? Also weaker knees? Again where's the proof of that. GSP has had all this time off to get his mind and his body right and completely heal up. My main concerns are moreso regarding ring rust and stamina with the added muscle.

We don’t know how he will be. He could’ve learned lots in these past few years. Maybe he will rely more on skill, octagon savvy and general fight iq rather than raw athleticism. Lots of fighters still improve even out of their physical prime ie Anderson Silva

I'm just wondering how you figure he's slower now? Is there any proof of that? Also weaker knees? Again where's the proof of that. GSP has had all this time off to get his mind and his body right and completely heal up. My main concerns are moreso regarding ring rust and stamina with the added muscle.

I mentioned a few factors: he sustained two consecutive acl injuries, he is 35 years old now, and he has put on a good chunk of weight. And he has looked a bit plodding in footage, although I understand and acknowledge one should take this with a pinch of salt. But these are all reasonable indicators, even if not cast iron argument enders.

While it would be unrealistic to expect GSP to be the same as when he left, keep in mind that he is a perfectionist. He would not be coming back unless he was able to compete at the top again.

While it would be unrealistic to expect GSP to be the same as when he left, keep in mind that he is a perfectionist. He would not be coming back unless he was able to compete at the top again.

This is very true. I doubt he would be coming back riding on delusion or greed. But age has a way to only become itself manifest when you need to be at your sharpest in fight time, and doesn't manifest itself in training.

Why is it that everyone assumes Bisping will be 100% and good as ever?

Especially considering that he was out with knee surgery himself at the beginning of this year and was unable to train or do anything for the first half of the year.
http://www.foxsports.com/ufc/story/...-delay-return-but-still-wants-gsp-next-051717

For all we know Bisping might be even more crippled than GSP since he hasn't had as much time to rehab and train, but no one even wants to talk about that possibility.

I'm expecting Bisping to pressure GSP to fight hard early

with the 4 year hiatus, added weight and larger opponent

I see Georges getting badly hurt and likely finished

Many also doubted him when he took a year off when he tore his first ACL and then came back to beat Condit and reclaim his title. GSP has a huge ego. I seriously doubt that he would make a second comeback if he didn't think he could win.

bisping is going to probably knock gsp out... too many times i have seen old fat "legends" in comeback fights that get their ass whooped and loook horrible and the fight is boring. I will have to watch it on the internet not live because i hate watching ufc broadcasts, they put you to sleep

Tough fight for Georges, yes he is strong but I'm not convinced that he is strong enough to take down and control Bisping, I think Georges knows this and is working on his boxing to combat Bisping's good boxing with Freddie Roach.

Why is it that everyone assumes Bisping will be 100% and good as ever?

Bisping is looking very fast and powerful in training...check videos

22639467_121615881866732_4288437575615512576_n.jpg

Bisping is looking very fast and powerful in training...check videos

Training doesn't tell you much unless it's Ronda Rousey bad or something like that.
Holly Holm looks like a fucking animal in training yet she's timid and air punching everything in her fights.
Not to mention McGregor's carefully edited videos where he's knocking people down and wailing on them compared to Mayweather's vids where he was looking old and washed up.

When you're looking at training vids from high profile fighters, which GSP and Bisping both are, you're seeing what they want you to see. They can mostly control what gets out and what doesn't so you're not going to learn much from them. It's fight hype, which is why ignore it for the most part.

Back