WME is abandoning the 10 million real UFC fans in hope for 100 million casual fans

nanika

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
*I picked 10 million and 100 arbitrarily as an example of 10%. Not real numbers of “fans”

The ufc is not mainstream and has never been mainstream. This did not stop it from having an extremely devoted fan base. While not as large a base as the big 4(us) or football(worldwide) I am willing to bet about 50% of ufc fans considered it their favorite sport and does not even watch the ball sports. For me, the UFC will always be behind ncaa football but it was up there with the NFL. Even with the nfl having rating issues I feel mine and my friends lack of interest in the UFC after around 15 years of heavily following fights.

Now with match making based on numbers not rank or skill. They add women to main events strictly for money and to improv public image. Most weight classes have 2 belts, one being interim. The biggest ufc star ever has not defended his belt(s).

Maybe in the long run this will create more profit and allow the UFC to grow and mature back into a sports organization. But right now the UFC is heading more towards WWE than a legit 1 on 1 sport with rankings like Tennis( shit on tennis all you like I’m referring to organization and rankings not the game itself).

If WME and UFC succeed in winning main stream approval and the fan base it comes with that will be great for th UFC. However if they fail, they have alienated the fans whose money developed the sport and replaced them with a larger group who rar ly cares except mega fights and will not spend the cash the older fans would have spent on a regular basis.

Last edited:
I picked 10 million and 100 just randomly as an example of 10%. Not real numbers of “fans”

It's pretty awful that this is absolutely necessary to let people know on Sherdog so some idiot doesn't come screaming at you ""THESE ARE NOT ACCURATE NUMBER$ OMFGMSDGMSDFG U STOOOPID""

Yet only 100K are buying Mighty Mouse fights.

*I picked 10 million and 100 arbitrarily as an example of 10%. Not real numbers of “fans”

The ufc is not mainstream and has never been mainstream. This did not stop it from having an extremely devoted fan base. While not as large a base as the big 4(us) or football(worldwide) I am willing to bet about 50% of ufc fans considered it their favorite sport and does not even watch the ball sports. For me, the UFC will always be behind ncaa football but it was up there with the NFL. Even with the nfl having rating issues I feel mine and my friends lack of interest in the UFC after around 15 years of heavily following fights.

Now with match making based on numbers not rank or skill. They add women to main events strictly for money and to improv public image. Most weight classes have 2 belts, one being interim. The biggest ufc star ever has not defended his belt(s).

Maybe in the long run this will create more profit and allow the UFC to grow and mature back into a sports organization. But right now the UFC is heading more towards WWE than a legit 1 on 1 sport with rankings like Tennis( shit on tennis all you like I’m referring to organization and rankings not the game itself).

If WME and UFC succeed in winning main stream approval and the fan base it comes with that will be great for th UFC. However if they fail, they have alienated the fans whose money developed the sport and replaced them with a larger group who rar ly cares except mega fights and will not spend the cash the older fans would have spent on a regular basis.

10 million?! I think you might have over estimated, hahaha.

Call them and tell them what they're doing wrong. I'm sure they'll take the call.

It's pretty awful that this is absolutely necessary to let people know on Sherdog so some idiot doesn't come screaming at you ""THESE ARE NOT ACCURATE NUMBER$ OMFGMSDGMSDFG U STOOOPID""

This place is like an autism magnet.

most of us are too poor to buy events - although we're fast on the internets - so probably a good move

I don't mean to point at TS with this, but saw it the other day & just thought about how it fits for MMA too

It's pretty awful that this is absolutely necessary to let people know on the internet so some idiot doesn't come screaming at you ""THESE ARE NOT ACCURATE NUMBER$ OMFGMSDGMSDFG U STOOOPID""
Fixed

THESEARE NOT ACCURATE NUMBER$ OMFGMSDGMSDFG U STOOOPID

I said pretty much this in my "other" reason cancelling Fight Pass when they asked. Doubt anyone read it but numbers don't lie. UFC is tanking on normal shows compared to past so either it was a fad or HC fans had enough BS. I won't give UFC another dime until it's run like a legit sports org - same reason I stopped watching boxing.

Agreed

Rankings getting ignored to a degree in favour of a more lucrative fights
The way it's always been

You're 20+ years too late if you don't want to see a WWE influenced UFC product. Kimo, Tank, Varelands, Howard, etc. Back then the UFC were selling characters as much as individual fighting ability. Things quieted down on that front when John Perretti took over the matchmaking, but you'd still see some showmanship from the guys from that era too (e.g. Carlos Newton coming out with shades, big afro, two girls on his arms, etc.).

Back