Aljamain Sterling on USA Fans support

License to Kill
@Silver
Reaction score
Not sure how to load the podcast to this site but on the mmajunkie 134.5 episode Sterling says he wishes the fans in the states would back their fighters like they did in Poland with cheers, chants etc...

Is the fan support weak in the states?

Patriotism is basically nonexistent in America when it comes to fighters..

Probably cause they have so many, and half the time they're fighting each other..

I think you guys spends so much time with this stupidity race-talk in sports that you don't have time to patriotism, USA seems like the only place where people care about this stuff instead of where the athlete was born and grow.

Doesn't he rep Jamaica even tho he lives here?

But still, Weidman said the same thing

I do root for the USA guys, but some guys I don't, for personal reasons

And if I really don't like a guy I might root for the guy from a different country like Gus against Jones

It's all in who you respect first that I think you should go with

Last edited by a moderator:
Americans dont have football culture. They will always be subpar in terms of fans and live events.

perhaps he should make himself morel likeable instead of relying on nationality to carry him

Is the fan support weak in the states?[/QUOTE]

If a fighter came along that expressed love for America the way Conor does for Ireland; &, if they were to back it up, patriotic Americans would respond. They would get made fun of by some; but, so does Conor. We Americans have, for far too long, been conditioned in school to feel guilty about our nation, so athletes follow suit. We voted for Trump because all other politicians had ceased standing up for our country. We would follow US fighters the exact same way.

Doesn't he rep Jamaica even tho he lives here?

But still, Weidman said the same thing

I do root for the USA guys, but some guys I don't, for personal reasons

And if I really don't like a guy I might root for the guy from a different country like Gus against Jones

It's all in who you respect first that I think you should go with
Yeah same here i can't root for Erick Silva, guy is really annoying and pathetic. Also he is a dirty fighter.

Uh, then why do I always here those annoying "USA! USA!" chants when an American is fighting someone from another country??

If a fighter came along that expressed love for America the way Conor does for Ireland; &, if they were to back it up, patriotic Americans would respond.
The last American patriotic fighter..

vlcsnap-1804471.png

Hawaii seems pretty supportive of its fighters, last I was there.

Americans are spoiled by having so many professional athletes. There isn't a novelty in saying so-and-so is from America.

And patriotism is sometimes free associated with racism in the United States. I've heard people criticizing "USA USA" chants, for example, if the fighter from the USA is white and the foreign fighter isn't.

If a fighter came along that expressed love for America the way Conor does for Ireland; &, if they were to back it up, patriotic Americans would respond. They would get made fun of by some; but, so does Conor. We Americans have, for far too long, been conditioned in school to feel guilty about our nation, so athletes follow suit. We voted for Trump because all other politicians had ceased standing up for our country. We would follow US fighters the exact same way.[/QUOTE]
Tim Kennedy, Brian Stann and we still find reason to hate <NightKingBringIt>

USA fans are the worst. I think a lot of Europeans don't understand the US and vice Versa. If you come into any European country fighting one of our own you better look out it's like entering a war zone. USA and Canada are on the same continent but they couldn't be more different. Fan-base wise Canada is more like a European country just look at GSP in his prime, when they went to Canada was the same thing.

Another thing to take note take Darren Till for example he is from Liverpool. If UFC decide to take a card there and you bring an American over to fight him like say a Mike Perry he may as well be walking into Afghanistan.

Don't get me wrong i like American people i have American friends but in sports across the board they have loyalty issues. Aljamain Sterling is right to be fair to the lad.

Last edited:
We have American MMA fans who don't even like American fighters! Something needs to be done about this

Well, the U.S. is also far more diverse than countries like Poland, in more ways than one. Soooooo I'm sure that plays a role. I'm sure most actual fans don't want to get get up with the "USA! USA! USA!" crowd.

He's annoying and I've only watched 1 interview of his

Americans dont have football culture. They will always be subpar in terms of fans and live events.
We don't even cheer for our own country in soccer (football) it is sad mate

I can't think of one black fighter that comes out with the American flag, other than Bendo, but he has a Korean flag sewn to the back of it

Plus with all the fists in the air and kneeling at sports games, it turns white American fans off

A lot of these black guys, like Wood, Sterling, etc have chips on their shoulders and it's hard to get behind them for that

Especially a guy that is repping Jamaica but is wanting casual American fans to support him

Sorry, brotha man, not gonna happen here
Even Stipe a full time firefighter from Cleveland reps another country

Well, the U.S. is also far more diverse than countries like Poland, in more ways than one. Soooooo I'm sure that plays a role. I'm sure most actual fans don't want to get get up with the "USA! USA! USA!" crowd.
Maybe Poland isn't particularly diverse but you can't say the same about Sweden, UK, Brazil, Australia and they all get behind their fighters. I think America just lacks the culture of competing in international sport that most countries get from football.

Back