Is brain damage a massive underrated issue for the UFC?

A

AusMMAfan

We've seen Mark Hunt recently talk about how he is starting to slur his speech and forgot things he did Yesterday. Then we have GSP who believes aliens are manipulating the space time continuum.

These guys use to be normal well spoken dudes.

Coleman also looks like he is 20 years older than he actually is.
images

Then we have Jon Jones(Okay, I think this guy was born a moron) but I think you get my point.

morans.jpg

It's a massively underrated issue on Sherdog. (With regards to it's members).

GSP literally believes he was molested by aliens...so yes.

giphy.gif

ask Terry Ettims about brain damage.... if you can find him. He's drooling on a park bench somewhere watching the ducks

I can totally see a future where if you have xyz symptoms or a certain number of KOs you HAVE to retire.

It's very hard to diagnose brain injuries properly even post-mortem, we know so little about how the brain actually works. So yes.

Yes, I think a serious study needs to be done on the fans of Mike Perry.

Last edited:
Hunt's case you could argue is perhaps not the best example for MMA as a whole, a HW who has had both kickboxing and MMA careers in which he's defended greatly on his chin.

I tend to think the most dangerous period though is late in a career when fighters start picking up a lot of damage. Had Goodridge for example retired in the mid 00's I suspect he would be in far better health.

Hunt's case you could argue is perhaps not the best example for MMA as a whole, a HW who has had both kickboxing and MMA careers in which he's defended greatly on his chin.

I tend to think the most dangerous period though is late in a career when fighters start picking up a lot of damage. Had Goodridge for example retired in the mid 00's I suspect he would be in far better health.

True. Would bot surprised if he played rugby in his younger days aswell.

Who cares? Is motorcycle riding dangerous? Yes. Ive seen three die right in front of me - one I gave CPR to with legs cut off and foaming at the mouth - but it's a free country. Let them fight if thats their thing. Fuck man you only live one time might as well pursue your passion whether it be fighting or ballet or even riding a motorcycle which are all dangerous.

Last edited:
I mean, yes and no. Guys get punched in the head, everyone involved from athletes to promoters and fans know its a risk. Its not like football that tried to cover it up.

Well, UFC fighters aren’t kneeling for the national Anthem yet, so they’re not completely concussed into dumbfuckery like NFL window lickers are. ;)

its massively underrated in all contact sports. Its a known quantity in boxing because its been around so long. guys who fought 10 years ago or so are gonna start coming out in droves with CTE. Id support fighter pension funds ect for when these guys are completely debilitated. But you cant act like you didnt know what you were getting into when you chose to get punched kicked elbowed kneed ground and pounded ect for a living.

Well, UFC fighters aren’t kneeling for the national Anthem yet, so they’re not completely concussed into dumbfuckery like NFL window lickers are. ;)
I havent watched NFL since Montana retired. I was in HS still playing so it seemed important. But at the end of the day once I found MMA all other sports are just a derivative of actual fighting - "sportsman" who dont want to get their hands dirty or the contact and simulate imposing your will on another. Snooze fests really. Add the hate for the country that made them rich I wouldnt watch a NFL game if you paid me.

then you get nightmare scenarios out of the blue like TJ grant or what happened to terry etim. Plenty of young guys like Uncle creepy and chris holdsworth with CTE issues ending their careers. But then you get guys like bisping who looked like they died in a couple fights and he;s the MW champ. its a weird situation, I think we're gonna see it a lot more in MMA and the whole punch a guy 9 times while he's sleeping thing is gonna eventually come to an end.

Back