Do you believe that losing a fight isn't the end of the world/career but HOW you lose the fight?

ClosetVitorFan

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Because I remember chuck Liddell getting knocked out by a short arm punch from a MW in Rich Franklin and getting knocked out several times prior. He had to call it quits. Then I see Werdums "losses" to Overeem and I'm like dude Werdum arguably won both of those fights he "lost" to Overeem, landing the cleaner punches in the Strikeforce fight. Controlling more of the fight in the UFC. Losing isnt everything. It's how you lose. When cm punk lost, he showed nothing. He showed he doesn't belong there. With artem lobov was his performance against fili really "dude I need to retire" worthy?

This would have been an interesting topic had you not made it about Artem Lobov

Mostly my feeling is that this is MMA, not boxing and as there are so many ways to win there are equally as many ways to lose so it’s not such a big deal to have losses on your record, even if they are ‘bad’ losses, such as Aldo v Connor. The problem comes if there is a pattern of losses that reveals a particular weakness, cos there are some ruthless mofos in the fight game and they’ll take advantage.

Because I remember chuck Liddell getting knocked out by a short arm punch from a MW in Rich Franklin and getting knocked out several times prior. He had to call it quits. Then I see Werdums "losses" to Overeem and I'm like dude Werdum arguably won both of those fights he "lost" to Overeem, landing the cleaner punches in the Strikeforce fight. Controlling more of the fight in the UFC. Losing isnt everything. It's how you lose. When cm punk lost, he showed nothing. He showed he doesn't belong there. With artem lobov was his performance against fili really "dude I need to retire" worthy?

History usually judges only fighters' records...
But of course, the way of losing matters.

Lobov's career is pretty much either "I need to retire" worthy, or "I need to go back to Cage Warriors where I belong skill-wise" worthy.

HOW you win or lose is definitely an important factor in gauging your overall merit and abilities.

However, I think if you lose enough times in a row (especially if we're talking about someone in the twilight of their career), then it doesn't matter how close the fights were or not, you should maybe consider hanging them up because you're going nowhere fast.

History usually judges only fighters' records...
But of course, the way of losing matters.

Lobov's career is pretty much either "I need to retire" worthy, or "I need to go back to Cage Warriors where I belong skill-wise" worthy.

I couldn't tell you what Couture's or BJ Penn's record is off the top of my head.

That's sherdog for you, when a fighter loses, they should retire/change weight classes and when they win they are the GOAT

That's sherdog for you, when a fighter loses, they should retire/change weight classes and when they win they are the GOAT
Yeah and that's silly. MMA is a different animal than boxing. A close competitive loss isnt the end of the world. But people make it out like it is

This is mma, great fighters lose all the time because you couldn't possibly be the best at everything. A way larger margin of error for mixed martial artists than boxers, kickboxers etc.

Any fighter that loses should be forced to live in the sewers for the rest of their lives.

Also, how you come back from it, if you still could.

An interesting question semi related to your topic, what fighters have been completely schooled/exposed/dissected and went on to keep evolving and won a belt or climbed very high on the ladder?

No.

Neither losing the fight nor how you lose the fight mean the end of the world/ career.

Fans from other sports understand this.

MMA fan:
Why should those 2 teams play each other in the playoffs? We ALREADY saw how that goes!

It's also that every MMA weight class has 100000 great fighters in it. There's no shame in losing to Jon Jones or getting KOd by Rumble.

If everyone in your weight class is a can though because all the great fighters are divided up between 1000000000 weight classes and 30000 different belts in each class, you better not lose to some can.

I agree with op, looks at the dillishaw vs cruz fight

if the same exact fight hapenned, but 2 judges scored it for tj instead of cruz, he would be seen as maybe even the number 1 pfp

he would still be champ, with 5 titles defences now ( vs much better competition than mm), he beat lineker and raphael after he lost to cruz, while cruz fought lower ranked guys

Both Ronda and Conor got beat in the 2nd round by an underdog opponent.

The nuthugging fanbase of one is nowhere to be found on Sherdog in 2017.

Don’t forget that fighters jump in and out of their prime depending on their success. Mid-fight, they are in Shrodinger’s box.

Back