This is why weight cutting is so complicated

legkicktko

Only the Strong Survive
@Black
Reaction score
Guys like Gastellum and Cerrone experience great success when not having to cut weight. Both guys had great success in lighter weight-classes. However, few would argue how great they looked but going up. They were no longer depleting their body of water and nutrients to make the weight and it showed in their performances, fighting some of the top guys in a weight class higher than the one they were accustomed to.

Joe Rogan frequently pleads for these guys to stay at these higher weightclasses because cutting is deleterious to their health, and they look on top of their game when they're not dehydrated. He's not wrong, it seems like an obvious win-win. But fights like tonight elucidate why this problem is not going to go away any time soon, at least not with the current set of rules.

When Gastellum fought Kennedy (a fight with a contender in the higher weight class), most didn't give him a great chance. He smoked Kennedy and then fucked up Vitor. I found myself confused as to why he was talking about going back to welterweight. After performances like that, what would be the benefit in going back to depleting your body?

Then he gets matched up with Chris Weidman and right from the stare down, I said "Oh shit", that's why.

You may be in your natural weightless, but there is always that guy that chops his leg off to make weight and get that extra size advantage. Guys fighting at their natural weight are facing it two fold. Cerrone experienced that to some degree tonight (fair play to Till, he made the weight and his skill set was always going to be a tough matchup for Cerrone).

Yet to have Till bragging in the octagon post fight., calling himself a light-heavyweight fighting welterweights, we are reminded why guys like Cerrone and Gastellum are going to need to go back to depleting themselves in order to preserve their health and ability to compete. What an irony.

Last edited:
You either kick your own ass to kick ass, or save your ass for someone bigger to kick.

Do a Body Composition exam on every UFC athlete and calculate their lowest weight possible while maintaining a healthy body fat percentage. Athletes would be ineligible to compete lower than that number. Maybe in conjunction with hydration tests during fight week and some additional weight classes.

Men: 125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, 195, 205, 225, 275

Women: 105, 115, 125, 135, 145 (155?)

Cerrone didn't lose because of weight classes. It's a small difference between welterweight and lightweight. He got some good wins at the weight class so he's not outsized. He's losing either because of technical deficiency or mental issues. I think his mental game is his weakness more than anything else. Doesn't help that the guys he is losing are excellent from a technical standpoint too.

Cerrone didn't lose because of weight classes. It's a small difference between welterweight and lightweight. He got some good wins at the weight class so he's not outsized. He's losing either because of technical deficiency or mental issues. I think his mental game is his weakness more than anything else. Doesn't help that the guys he is losing are excellent from a technical standpoint too.
I didn't say he did, in fact, I specifically said Till was always a tough fight.

It is not a small difference between LW and WW. He does have good wins, but he was fighting average sized welterweights, where he can hang. Till was every bit a big MW out there tonight. Reminded me of Brandon Thatch and Benson Henderson.

Yeah but it's really not that complicated. You either ass or someone else asses.

LW and WW are the only divisions where it happens frequently, it says a lot. UFC needs 165, simple as that. I'm sure Till won't be able to fight at 165, even 175 will become harder soon. Cowboy has no place fighting Condit, Kim, Cummings and other big WWs.

Do a Body Composition exam on every UFC athlete and calculate their lowest weight possible while maintaining a healthy body fat percentage. Athletes would be ineligible to compete lower than that number. Maybe in conjunction with hydration tests during fight week and some additional weight classes.

Men: 125, 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, 195, 205, 225, 275

Women: 105, 115, 125, 135, 145 (155?)
fighters would just find ways to game the test.....there would be more ww giants deciding to cut the extra 5 than those willing to cut 5 less.....

best way to solve the problem.....fight night weigh ins.....

some idiot will still do it..... but he'd learn his lesson real quick.....

you either eat ass or give ass
why-not-both-animated-gif-7.gif

You’re assing the wrong question.

Guys like Gastellum and Cerrone experience great success when not having to cut weight. Both guys had great success in lighter weight-classes. However, few would argue how great they looked but going up. They were no longer depleting their body of water and nutrients to make the weight and it showed in their performances, fighting some of the top guys in a weight class higher than the one they were accustomed to.

Joe Rogan frequently pleads for these guys to stay at these higher weightclasses because cutting is deleterious to their health, and they look on top of their game when they're not dehydrated. He's not wrong, it seems like an obvious win-win. But fights like tonight elucidate why this problem is not going to go away any time soon, at least not with the current set of rules.

When Gastellum fought Kennedy (a fight with a contender in the higher weight class), most didn't give him a great chance. He smoked Kennedy and then fucked up Vitor. I found myself confused as to why he was talking about going back to welterweight. After performances like that, what would be the benefit in going back to depleting your body?

Then he gets matched up with Chris Weidman and right from the stare down, I said "Oh shit", that's why.

You may be in your natural weightless, but there is always that guy that chops his leg off to make weight and get that extra size advantage. Guys fighting at their natural weight are facing it two fold. Cerrone experienced that to some degree tonight (fair play to Till, he made the weight and his skill set was always going to be a tough matchup for Cerrone).

Yet to have Till bragging in the octagon post fight., calling himself a light-heavyweight fighting welterweights, we are reminded why guys like Cerrone and Gastellum are going to need to go back to depleting themselves in order to preserve their health and ability to compete. What an irony.
This take is moronic. Weidman doesn't cut his own leg off to make 185. He's in phenomenal shape. Gastelum is a fat body compared to his peers. His weight class is 170, but he's too lazy and undisciplined and make it happen.

This take is moronic. Weidman doesn't cut his own leg off to make 185. He's in phenomenal shape. Gastelum is a fat body compared to his peers. His weight class is 170, but he's too lazy and undisciplined and make it happen.
Lol. Weidman is documented saying he has cut 30+ pounds in the last two weeks, and that the weight cut is so brutal, he's gone entire days without eating any meals other than a spoonful of peanut butter. Every fucking time he fights, there is hyper focus on his weightcut from the media. It's not because he's in "phenomenal shape", its because he's a light-heavyweight fighting middleweights. Gian Villante, his teammate, is a LHW and has said multiple times on record that Weidman is heavier than he is.

Kelvin is in shit shape though I'll give you that.

Which one is the middle weight?

ufc_weidman_gianvillante_anahissa.jpg

TS why did you make a thread about people's asses ?

Back