Eugenics is banned by WADA

elwani

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
But how will they detect it, and when will we see the first super fighter?

The World Anti-Doping Agency Is Cracking Down On Gene-Editing In Sports

The promise of gene therapy has the potential to drastically limit the impact of human disease by altering the make-up of the body’s cells to fight back against deadly invaders. If used recreationally, though, gene therapy could also expand the physical limits of human strength and endurance. Like high-tech steroids, gene therapies could one day be a new way for athletes to dope.

Hoping to preemptively limit the consequences of the rapidly advancing field of genetic engineering in sports, the World Anti-Doping Agency officially added genetic engineering to its black list of banned substances and methods earlier this month. Beginning next year, the updated list will include “gene editing agents designed to alter genome sequences and/or the transcriptional or epigenetic regulation of gene expression.”

“Gene editing technology has advanced impressively in recent years,” WADA, an independent international agency which influences anti-doping polices at the Olympics and in nations around the world, told Gizmodo in a statement. “This has prompted WADA to evaluate possible misuses of gene editing for doping and as a consequence, has included these technologies in the definition of Gene Doping.”

For years, researchers and sports officials have been asking questions about how advancing science might impact sport. It makes sense. Already advances in technology are relied upon to help give athletes a millisecond edge over their competitors. Sometimes that technology is biomedical in nature. The NBA’s Golden State Warriors, for example, have been known to rely on possibly psuedoscientific brain-zapping to give them an edge.

There have been no confirmed accounts of gene doping so far in sports, but the possibility has long been on WADA’s radar. In 2003, the agency officially banned “gene doping.” The update expands that ban to include any form of gene editing, crushing the possibility of any justified use of such medical technologies in sports, even if they one day become more commonplace in other areas of life.

“Despite sensational and scientifically unfounded claims occasionally seen in the media, WADA is not presently aware of any athletes who are gene doping,” the agency said via email. “Nevertheless we want to be ahead of the game and make it clear that when or if such techniques as gene editing would be used to enhance performance beyond a return to normal function, then it would be prohibited.”

It is unclear, however, how WADA would enforce such rules. For more than a decade, the agency began looking for a way to detect gene doping among athletes. Last year, the International Olympic Committee announced that athletes competing in Rio would be tested for added copies of a gene that produces a hormone called EPO that stimulates red blood cell production to increase endurance. No results have been announced, but such small tweaks could be hard to detect.

The agency declined to provide details on how it planned to enforce the new rules.

“At present, WADA is closely following developments in this area to define the best technique for the detection of gene editing if and when it were to be used as a doping method,” the agency said.

Shit,

Maybe in Japan, eh bros?

Maybe Pure-Gene Victor can make a comeback someday

Last edited:
1478010314606.png

I think they're taking this way too far.

"I have no idea what happened. Someone must have spiked my genes."

inb4 Sage

Wonder if that includes STEM type protocols.

Last edited:
WADA is against human evolution

Procter & Gamble would be disappointed.

they are staying ahead of the game, at least in policy...the science will catch up.

it isn't like this decision is carved in stone, never able to be changed.

if reasonable gene therapies are developed to combat disease that is unrelated to performance enhancement, then they could easily do what they do now for 'substances'...some are always permitted, some are permitted with a medical exemption, some are never allowed, etc.

Did they say why they banned it anywhere?

why do you think?

potential to enhance performance, potential to endanger athlete health, against the spirit of sport, it ticks all three criteria

one example is cited in the piece, using gene manipulation to trigger excess epo production

It's a little sad that all science and anything that gives a benefit whatsoever is banned instantaneously.

I'm not going to get into the argument on whether peds should be banned or not, people use the angle that it's unfair because not everyone wants to take them or have to compete against people on peds, but it's also unfair to those who are born without the genetics of a top athlete, they could be a fast learner, have decent skill set but just not cut it by sheer pot luck that they were born with shit genetics, that's where science comes in really.

Again this isn't an opinion or an argument just throwing some random shit out there.

why do you think?

potential to enhance performance, potential to endanger athlete health, against the spirit of sport, it ticks all three criteria

one example is cited in the piece, using gene manipulation to trigger excess epo production

Enhancing performance: Great, isn't that the whole point of honing one's body, mind, and overall skill? Not to mention lessen amount and duration of injuries.

Potential to endanger athlete health: I don't really see how or why it should be up to some 3rd party organization to protect and essentially control people against themselves and the choices they choose to make.

Against the spirit of sport: I guess that's a matter of personal opinion. Personally i want to see the pinnacle of performance, the best of the best. That's the spirit of it to me.

And remember, there is huge variation in genetic potential anyway, so the playing field will always be uneven reguardless

Some guys have twice the natural testosterone that other guys have, some have extreme gene expression in certain specific areas, like muscle types and overall growth, increased bone density, etc, etc, etc.

Should it also be a 3rd party organization's job to protect athlete's health when it comes to someone going against a guy with twice the natural free testosterone content that he has?
Or is it ok for vastly superior specimens to beat on inferior physiques, as long as pure chance from mother nature decided it to be so?

Where and why do you draw the line?

So I can't import my character from Deus Ex into the UFC game?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back