I remember when Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard was announced everyone knew the PPV would flop

FlyThaiMMA

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Yet the UFC made the fight anyway because Gray was the rightful contender for the belt and they wanted to uphold the integrity of the sport

I miss those days of the LW division

true. new years card too, UFC 125. i ordered it. it was a really entertaining show.

Frankie-Gray 2 amazing fight
Stann starching Leben
Thiago Silva playing bongos on Veras back and than breaking his nose
Dong throwing around Nate ( LOL at conor fans trying to act like Nate is a top level Welterweight. I mean seriously watch this fight and than tell me that)
Clay guida doing that weird movement thing against Gomi

plus Jermey stephens removing marcus davis from this earth and Porier ending that RIDICULOUS Josh Grispi hype

Some of my favourite fights between those two, just fucking brilliant wars.

Can't believe Middleweight is still this much of a goddamn clusterfuck.

GSP vs Bisping fucked the whole division and the sport.
Can't wait for the winner to face Whittaker, although they already killed off plenty of legitimate contenders in the meantime.

true. new years card too. i ordered it. it was a good show.

I remember I was still salty af about Edgar beating Penn, and never cared for Gray Maynard so I was like meh. Then after the fight I've been on Team Edgar since. Incredible night

i have still not seen it summed up better than Mike Brown did here:

“I think it used to be you would find it was 80 percent merit, and 20 percent entertainment/money to make the fights....Now I think that it’s almost 80 percent money than the merit of who deserves the fight. I honestly didn’t see it coming so quickly.”​

I remember I was still salty af about Edgar beating Penn, and never cared for Gray Maynard so I was like meh. Then after the fight I've been on Team Edgar since. Incredible night
Same. BJ was one of the few fighters I ever cared about, if they won or lost. I thought BJ got robbed at 112. Edgar beat him decisive at 118.

Than this fight came around and thats when frankie became alright in my book

I remember back when nobody gave a shit about press conferences.

Also, the good old days when nobody really cared about ppv numbers, unless it was record breaking.

true. new years card too, UFC 125. i ordered it. it was a really entertaining show.

Stann starching Leben
Dong throwing around Nate ( LOL at conor fans trying to act like Nate is a top level Welterweight. I mean seriously watch this fight and than tell me that)

plus Jermey stephens removing marcus davis from this earth and Porier ending that RIDICULOUS Josh Grispi hype
I was there live. It was a super intense night. Never been to a card that was even close to being as great as that one was.

Same. BJ was one of the few fighters I ever cared about, if they won or lost. I thought BJ got robbed at 112. Edgar beat him decisive at 118.

and yet by the 3rd LW belt rematch in a row, we were all sick of it. each one was fine by itself (of course BJ deserved one, and of course after a draw you have one), but by the time Edgar v Bendo II happened...it sorta killed LW for years.

Stann starching Leben

"Weird movement thing against Gomi"??? That's top level striking, son.

tenor.gif

Yeah I was much younger back then so I got way too emotionally invested in fighters and seeing BJ Penn get robbed pissed me off so bad

Seeing him get beat down in the rematch was demoralizing. So I wanted to see Edgar lose so bad out of revenge lol. I was such a twat

and yet by the 3rd LW belt rematch in a row, we were all sick of it. each one was fine by itself, but by the time Edgar v Bendo II happened...it sortak killed LW for years.
I agree. I will say the best were fighting the best at that point. Gray was pretty much #2 until Bendo came along and the WEC guys

Yeah I was much younger back then so I got way too emotionally invested in fighters and seeing BJ Penn get robbed pissed me off so bad

Seeing him get beat down in the rematch was demoralizing. So I wanted to see Edgar lose so bad out of revenge lol. I was such a twat
Yeah. Tbh i dont really care who wins and loses anymore. Its just all kinda meh right now. Still watch and am entertained but with zero emotional attachment

I remember back when nobody gave a shit about press conferences.

Also, the good old days when nobody really cared about ppv numbers, unless it was record breaking.

Yep

I still love the fights but hate the culture of MMA now where it has essentially been hijacked by the public turning it into a WWE like fiasco or bust.

UFC 125 was a damn good card. Kind of ironic it was titled 'Resolution' and it ended in a draw.

Yeah. Tbh i dont really care who wins and loses anymore. Its just all kinda meh right now. Still watch and am entertained but with zero emotional attachment

Same. I have certain fighters who I root for and want to do well, but I'm fine regardless of outcome now. I just want to see the best man win while in the past I was upset whenever my favorites lost LMAO

Just watching Frankie stay in that fight, let alone almost come back to win it, was one of the great things I've seen in any sport. Before that I thought Frankie was just a pitty-pat fighter that danced around to decisions. didn't know about him going "hard Jersey"

Back