Wheight Classes

BloodAxe793

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
So I keep hearing a lot of podcast hosts asking for a 165 and 175 to help curb extreme weight cutting. They say it will reduce the number of people doing it. But wouldn't you think that it would cause even more people to extreme weight cutting from higher weight classes?

I would love to see them add a couple of weight classes. Then, weigh fighters at the same time they are doing the drug testing. If a fighter is ever 10lbs heavier than their fight weight class then they move up a class. I hate weight cutting, which just leads to huge guys cutting as much weight as possible to fight at the lowest possible weight. it would keep fighters "honest", make for better fights and we could truly see who's the best. Not who's the best at being huge and cutting weight.

I always laugh when people can't even make a thread without spelling something wrong in the title,I automatically assume it's going to be a shit thread,but I can't exactly disagree with your point.It's a double edged sword,people can fit in a closer weight while some see an opportunity to cut even lower.It is what it is,there is no simple fix for weight cutting.

As Frankie Edgar pointed out on the 165/175 idea... Yes some Lightweights will be able to move up, however,

Some of the fighters who are currently at 170 will try make 165. And some of the smaller MWs will try make 175.

Doesn't solve anything. Only thing that will solve it is weighing them a certain number of days/weeks out to make sure they're within a decent range of their weight, maybe with hydration tests?

I always laugh when people can't even make a thread without spelling something wrong in the title,I automatically assume it's going to be a shit thread,but I can't exactly disagree with your point.It's a double edged sword,people can fit in a closer weight while some see an opportunity to cut even lower.It is what it is,there is no simple fix for weight cutting.
Spelling police.
<Waaah>

We can treat this as a question of mathematics:

• Minimum weight 156-165 who previously cut to 170 would cut to 165
  • Minimum weight 166-170 who previously cut to 170 would cut to 175
  • Minimum weight 171-175 who previously cut to 185 would cut to 175

Assuming a uniform distribution of athletes to minimum weights, this would mean out of 20 athletes, 10 would cut more, 5 would cut less, and 5 would cut more.

So in terms of the number of athletes cutting less versus cutting more, this would mean of those athletes affected by the change, 75% would cut more while 25% would would cut less.

In terms of pounds, this would mean on average 3.75 additional pounds cut per athlete.

Intuitively this makes sense because if you assume athletes will always cut as much as they can, the more options you give them to cut, the more they will cut.

Last edited:
So I keep hearing a lot of podcast hosts asking for a 165 and 175 to help curb extreme weight cutting. They say it will reduce the number of people doing it. But wouldn't you think that it would cause even more people to extreme weight cutting from higher weight classes?

I think adding weight classes does absolutely nothing.

What there needs to be is a minimum body fat percentage that fighters can go to, like 7 or 8%. Base the minimum weight they can fight at by that.

Another thing to possibly do would be to have more catch-weight fights. So two guys who normally fight at 155 can agree to 160.

I dont think it would have any effect on weight cutting, I dont really even understand that argument. Sure, it might help some guys make weight easier, like Khabib if he fights at 165, but on the other hand you will now have guys cutting even more weight to get down to that next weight class. It doesn't solve anything at all in the big picture.

On the other hand it will give us more champions, and make it easier for superfights to happen so im all for it

200 lbs and Over is heavyweight
199 to 180 is light heavyweight
179 to 160 is middleweight
159 to 140 light weight
And anything underneath that should be treated like heavy weight.

Spelling is hard.

if all they did was that, sure.

that's why adding a couple more divisions is merely 1 point in a 10 point plan in CA, and other places.

that's why when OneFC took on the extreme weight cutting issue, the did so comprehensively, not just one small change and hope it fixes everything.

complex issues usually are (almost) never one small change away from a proper solution.

Last edited:
Adding more divisions between the higher weight classes will only further dilute the prestige of the titles. More weight classes are necessary at lower weights where 15lbs is a proportionatley higher percentage of a fighters weight.

With that said im sure the UFC may one day go in that direction. They may believe that more title fights means more PPV buys, without actually accounting for the lost number of buys due to decreased prestige.

For example, right now I care about a WW title fight. If you add a class above and below 170, ill care a lot less.

I have also seen no evidence that more weight classes will change weight cutting practices. You could add a division every 5lbs and the same repeat offenders would still be killing themselves cuting 30lbs to make weight.

TS needs to be less concerned with weight classes and focus on taking some spelling classes.

TS needs to be less concerned with weight classes and focus on taking some spelling classes.
i figured it would be another silly thread about making height a criteria in divisions.

i thought he was making a lame pun based on a bad idea. instead it was just good ol fashioned bad spelling.

Why try to make some silly weightclass adjustments that wouldn't help at all?

If they want to get rid of extreme weightcutting, it is as easy as this: same day weigh ins!

Why try to make some silly weightclass adjustments that wouldn't help at all?

If they want to get rid of extreme weightcutting, it is as easy as this: same day weigh ins!
again, OneFC solved this years ago. https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2015/12...ighter-one-fc-unveils-new-weigh-in-program-to https://www.mmamania.com/2017/5/25/15693052/one-championship-abolished-weight-cutting-in-mma https://thesportspost.com/mma-weight-cutting-ufc-one-fc-bellator/

it's possible to fix it without making the issue worse (e.g. have guys more dehydrated at fight time). it just takes political will. which UFC, AC's and fans don't have much interest in.

Back