Cool video, Tony Ferguson earns black belt from Eddie Bravo.

Wow, it's truly an incredible moment. Commonly BJJ is a particularly hard martial art to earn a black belt in. They don't give them away lightly.

I remember an older guy, maybe 55 or 60 or so, who had a brown belt. He had been training for years. Another guy in the gym said to him "you're gonna get that black belt soon." He replied in seriousness "no way, I can't go down that road. Not at my age."

As I said, they don't give them away everyday. And it is definitely true that Bravo has been dreaming and working for many years to make BJJ practical in MMA. Congrats to him too.

Wow, it's truly an incredible moment. Commonly BJJ is a particularly hard martial art to earn a black belt in. They don't give them away lightly.

I remember an older guy, maybe 55 or 60 or so, who had a brown belt. He had been training for years. Another guy in the gym said to him "you're gonna get that black belt soon." He replied in seriousness "no way, I can't go down that road. Not at my age."

As I said, they don't give them away everyday. And it is definitely true that Bravo has been dreaming and working for many years to make BJJ practical in MMA. Congrats to him too.
Bravo is legit so Tony's belt will be but let's not kid ourselves, every fighter in the UFC is apparently a black belt in BJJ these days, you have black belts then you have guys like Jacare and Maia.

Bravo is legit so Tony's belt will be but let's not kid ourselves, every fighter in the UFC is apparently a black belt in BJJ these days, you have black belts then you have guys like Jacare and Maia.
I disagree. Yes, there are many UFC bjj black belts, but there are also many UFC fighters without bjj black belts. And yes, Jacare and Maia are bjj Gods, but they to, at one time, were just earning their black belts.

I disagree. Yes, there are many UFC bjj black belts, but there are also many UFC fighters without bjj black belts. And yes, Jacare and Maia are bjj Gods, but they to, at one time, were just earning their black belts.
Mate there's guys in the UFC with supposed black belts that barely look competent on the ground, Vitor, rashad, lyoto, there's tonnes!

Back