Country specific UFC's

elwani

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What do you guys think about country specific UFC's, like a China specific UFC and Indonesia specific UFC etc. limited only to athletes from that country?

Why have such a thing? Well both the UFC and fans would like to see MMA grow all over the world. I think there are many countries that would be big fans of MMA, but where the ecosystem doesn't exist yet to produce world class MMA fighters. For example, imagine if you had no BJJ black belts in your country to train you and no sparring partners. If you find the rare fighter in these countries who can compete on talent alone and put them into the UFC, they will most likely lose, and then the interest in that country will dissipate before it ever has a chance to take root.

However, everyone is interested in a good fight. If you limit it just to athletes from that country, people from that country will probably love seeing it. MMA would have a chance to become popular. And where there's popularity, there's money and a chance for an ecosystem to develop. There will be increasingly more schools, teachers, sparring partners, and means of making a living based on MMA. The UFC can use both its capital and experience shepherding such a process in the US to grow MMA in that country. Once each year, they can also have an exciting world competition, like the Olympics.

This would help MMA grow world wide, attract more top level athletes, and possibly lead to more TMA's being incorporated into MMA, making it an overall more exciting sport.

Last edited:
That's what they've been doing with TUF, basically?
Plus, they already absorb the best talents and prospects from all around the world (who aren't tied to a specific organisation).
And having different nationalities, fighting styles, camps and have them go against each other adds to the variety of the fights themselves.

That's what they've been doing with TUF, basically?
Plus, they already absorb the best talents and prospects from all around the world (who aren't tied to a specific organisation).
And having different nationalities, fighting styles, camps and have them go against each other adds to the variety of the fights themselves.

Yes but TUF is so small and doesn't even get any attention in the US, not to speak of other countries.

I agree that for a country like Brazil with a developed MMA ecosystem, UFC should absorb the top talents immediately to compete in UFC US. But I'm talking about countries like China (and yes even Uruguay) where MMA has almost no ecosystem but the market can be potentially huge.

If you do the same thing with China as you do in Brazil, the predictable result is that their athletes will lose, and then people in that country will be immediately turned off to MMA before they know much about it. This closes the door to potentially a vast source of exciting athletes and new skills just because MMA was not given a chance to grow, kind of like if you have someone who walks into a gym for the first time immediately roll live with a black belt they will probably not come back.

What do you guys think about country specific UFC's, like a China specific UFC and Indonesia specific UFC etc. limited only to athletes from that country?

Why have such a thing? Well both the UFC and fans would like to see MMA grow all over the world...

I only made it this far in your novel but I would like to comment anyway.

I think that building a regional talent base is a great idea. Those fighters can always be migrated to the larger markets after they've had success and gained popularity at home.

Lol no

You do realise other than America and Japan barely any other country's give a fuck about MMA

And Russia
But they just like fighting regardless

I only made it this far in your novel but I would like to comment anyway.

I think that building a regional talent base is a great idea. Those fighters can always be migrated to the larger markets after they've had success and gained popularity at home.

Ah too bad, you would have enjoyed the subsequent description of epic battle and giant orgy that ensues.

Why have such a thing? Well both the UFC and fans would like to see MMA grow all over the world. I think there are many countries that would be big fans of MMA, but where the ecosystem doesn't exist yet to produce world class MMA fighters. For example, imagine if you had no BJJ black belts in your country to train you and no sparring partners. If you find the rare fighter in these countries who can compete on talent alone and put them into the UFC, they will most likely lose, and then the interest in that country will dissipate before it ever has a chance to take root.

However, everyone is interested in a good fight. If you limit it just to athletes from that country, people from that country will probably love seeing it. MMA would have a chance to become popular. And where there's popularity, there's money and a chance for an ecosystem to develop. There will be increasingly more schools, teachers, sparring partners, and means of making a living based on MMA. The UFC can use both its capital and experience shepherding such a process in the US to grow MMA in that country. Once each year, they can also have an exciting world competition, like the Olympics.

This would help MMA grow world wide, attract more top level athletes, and possibly lead to more TMA's being incorporated into MMA, making it an overall more exciting sport.

Do you mean a UFC-Japan (ex) promotion or just a fight card?

I would not be shocked if there is a UFC-China build if they get a stronghold. Mainly due to the size & how the country supports its own, but I don't see it elsewhere.

But interesting thought

Ah too bad, you would have enjoyed the subsequent description of epic battle and giant orgy that ensues.

*through clenched teeth*

Dont you dare make me waste my time going back to read that with promises of ogre battles :mad:

Do you mean a UFC-Japan (ex) promotion or just a fight card?

I would not be shocked if there is a UFC-China build if they get a stronghold. Mainly due to the size & how the country supports its own, but I don't see it elsewhere.

But interesting thought

I mean like a separate semi-autonomous promotion, like UFC-China, UFC-Indonesia, etc. It's not even such a new idea, I mean doesn't leagues like NBA and soccer do the same and with great success?

I personally can see at least a UFC-China and UFC-India where there's already huge interest in martial arts and huge potential market but no MMA penetration, and possibly UFC Indonesia, UFC-Mexico, UFC-Australia, UFC-Russia, UFC-Japan, and UFC-S. Korea.

We would all also enjoy debating which country is best all year round.

Last edited:

I think something along these lines will happen, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't in the works. The world economy is shifting to Eurasia, so if North America has 25 shows why not 25 shows in Eurasia.

The cards would have mainly but not exclusively local fighters and be shown on local platforms and on fight pass for any diehards in the US who were interested. It would mean new weight classes, men's 115 and 105 for example, but these would rarely feature on a US card.

I mean like a separate semi-autonomous promotion, like UFC-China, UFC-Indonesia, etc. It's not even such a new idea, I mean doesn't leagues like NBA and soccer do the same and with great success?

I personally can see at least a UFC-China and UFC-India where there's already huge interest in martial arts and huge potential market but no MMA penetration, and possibly UFC Indonesia, UFC-Mexico, UFC-Australia, UFC-Russia, UFC-Japan, and UFC-S. Korea.

We would all also enjoy debating which country is best all year round.

Its interesting
But the only place I see it it is China
The other countries don't have the volume needed.

Any other country will already have promotions that UFC can monitor & cherry-pick from.
They don't need to go to the expense & man-power to set up a promotion.

Lol no

You do realise other than America and Japan barely any other country's give a fuck about MMA

Well that's the point, is how to develop that interest. Plus countries like China and India already have a huge interest in TMAs, so one would suspect that they are prime for development.

I'd like to see the broadcast incorporate aspects of the place the card is held.

However, when Goldberg drew connections between samurai and prizefighters bc it was in Japan that time is not what I had in mind lol, too on the nose.

We (USA sportscasting) describe everything in data and stats like it's a list of bullet points to hit kinda takes away from whatever whimsy an overseas show may have had otherwise.

And Russia
But they just like fighting regardless

So US, Japan, Russia.

Might as well keep going.

Obviously Brazil. And South Korea. England and Ireland of course.

And Netherlands. Then Mexico is an obvious market too.

China is a possibility on a lesser level but sheer population will mean a lot of people care.

That's a start.

I'd like to see the broadcast incorporate aspects of the place the card is held.

However, when Goldberg drew connections between samurai and prizefighters bc it was in Japan that time is not what I had in mind lol, too on the nose.

We (USA sportscasting) describe everything in data and stats like it's a list of bullet points to hit kinda takes away from whatever whimsy an overseas show may have had otherwise.

Always fancied the Sumo setup:

sumo0014.jpg

Always fancied the Sumo setup:

sumo0014.jpg
See? Dat shits classy imo lol.

I wish it were less "67%TDD in 3 Rd fights" analysis by numbers and more "What a wonderful day and place for big fights, my goodness!"

Just don't want them to go full on romanticism either. Samurai were known to kill farmers, commoners over not returning a bow or a nod properly. But they were the focus of the lead in promo.

Seemed like that's all the effort they could muster lol

"Land of the Rising Sun, Joe!"

Back