White: Ngannou could be the next big thing, literally and figuratively

FrankieNYC

STUFF!
Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/new...the-next-big-thing-literally-and-figuratively

These are lean times for the UFC. Last year there were five shows that did over 1,000,000 pay per view television buys. This year there have been none. PPV lives or dies on stars, and the stars are winking out, one by one. Ronda Rousey is apparently retired. Brock Lesnar was suspended for failing an anti-doping test, and is so out that the remaining six months are tolling. Conor McGregor has never defended either of the UFC belts he won. Jon Jones has had his belt removed for the third time. GSP fights next month, but hasn’t fought since 2013.

In sum, the UFC needs a new, young star.

UFC president Dana White appeared recently on The TSN MMA Show and asked who on the roster has the “it” factor to be the next star in mixed martial arts.

“I like Francis Ngannou,” said White, as transcribed byRussell Ess for BJPenn.com. “I think Francis Ngannou could be the next big thing, literally and figuratively.”

Ngannou is a perfect 5-0 so far in the UFC, with his last two fights winning performance bonuses. And he was on a four-fight win streak heading into the UFC. French is his first language, and he doesn’t engage in trash talk, in a era when trash talking in English is at least as prized as a mighty straight right. White, however, is unphased.

“Listen, when you’re a badass, language has nothing to do with it man,” said the UFC boss. “It’s all about how you – look at Anderson Silva. It’s about your performances. Listen, we think about the talking because Conor is so good. Conor is a great fighter and every time he opens his mouth it’s hilarious, you know? You find those guys once in a blue moon.”

Ngannou fights Alistair Overeem at UFC 218 on December 2, 2017. With a win there, he would get a title shot. With a win there he would be the baddest man on the planet, and perhaps the next big thing.

Until he gets choked out. I think it would happen before long. Bad dude though.

N'Gannou is 30, he's not the next young star...that's Platinum Mike Perry.

223.gif

Agree with Bozopotomus here.

Ngannou is a monster with tons of potential.

What I'm worried about is he seems to be living out of UPI by White's account. Then who is coaching him on technique? Who are his sparring partners?

At first sight I just read:
White Ngannou could be the next big thing

HW seems like a toss up alot times. Human beings aren't built to be blasted with sledge hammers. I'm intrigued with the Stipe fight. Nganou's should be the one saying "don't blink"

He's the heir to the HW throne and everyone knows it.

Pretty much sums up the HW division if a guy who's been training for like 3 years comes in and takes the crown.
HW is in an awful state right now.

I actually think Cormier would probably wreck this guy.

He's the heir to the HW throne and everyone knows it.

Prince Charles is heir to the British throne and everyone knows it. But he's almost 70 and still only a prince, because his mom is a determinedly sturdy cuss. Don't count your crowns before they're hatched.

I've been saying it since his first fight in the UFC. Dude is a fucking savage and will be champ. If overeem makes one mistake for one second, he's getting slept HARD.

Ngannou, Perry, Garbrandt

All 3 have the potential to be the next big thing. The UFC will be fine imo as long as these 3 continue to perform well and build their brand. They should do incredibly well in 2018 in terms of PPV buys.

I like Ngannou a lot, I seen basically all his fights now pre UFC and since he has been in UFC and he can be champ for sure, he has very crisp hands and obviously has huge power. I was worried about his TDD but so far its been good and he has improved it a lot. I can honestly see him beating Stipe, because Stipe has zero head movement, he is very stiff, I could see Ngannou knocking him out cold. And I like Stipe.

Dana is right in that Ngannou has huge talent, but to be a superstar requires so many other factors.

Back