What's Your Opinion On Fighter Rankings?

the ufc ignores them so why wouldnt everyone?

I sometimes have a look at them, see what's what.

The stupid thing is, they're voted on by incompetent journalists that seldom update their lists.

it's total bullshit, I can't find Artem Lobov in the rankings

I haven't looked up the UFC's rankings for couple of years now, I think. Don't care about their rankings.

Rankings matter if the fighters I like are ranked high. If not then they don't matter.

they're interesting. they're not gospel. ufc/rankings are not gospel. just like ELO rankings are not gospel.

but when you combine a) your own opinion/bias, b) collations of opinions/biases (e.g. "official" rankings) and c) mathematical but small sample ELO rankings, the gray areas start to get colored in a bit. each have huge flaws, but when you combine them, and you're somewhat open minded, then patterns can emerge.

and frankly i'd rather debate rankings than P4P or GOAT. that's for damn sure.

Last edited:
So, would it be safe to say that you agree with the sentiment 'rankings don't matter'?
tenor.gif

eh the ufc dont even follow their own rankings and they play bullshit with certain fighters. i might look at sherdogs once in a while but other then that i know who the best guys are in the div and who deserves a title shot

and p4p has been a joke since they started adding women. rousey with her skillset wouldnt even be on the ufc roster if she was fighting in the mens 135 or possibly even the 125.

If I agree with them they're great, if I don't agree they then suck.

and p4p has been a joke since they started adding women. rousey with her skillset wouldnt even be on the ufc roster if she was fighting in the mens 135 or possibly even the 125.

P4P was a joke before, during and after they started adding women. that you took it seriously enough in the first place to get mad about them adding women....

they obviously expanded the definition of "P4P" to mean something different when they added women. and that's the beauty of a made-up award; anyone can define it however one wants. but you wanted to keep the older definition, and got resentful at the new people under the new definition.

as they say, the #1 cause of resentment is unreasonably high expectations. your expectations for this particular made up award was, i suggest, unreasonably high.

but hey, people got made when ESPN added Secretariat to the "top 100 athletes of the 20th century" as well. so you have good company.

just food for thought. cheers.

Meaningless and pointless. Just a marketing gimmick.

UFC's "official rankings" are pure propaganda. Unofficial rankings are fan-wank and weapons-grade autism.

P4P was a joke before, during and after they started adding women. that you took it seriously enough in the first place to get mad about them adding women....

they obviously expanded the definition of "P4P" to mean something different when they added women. and that's the beauty of a made-up award; anyone can define it however one wants. but you wanted to keep the older definition, and got resentful at the new people under the new definition.

as they say, the #1 cause of resentment is unreasonably high expectations. your expectations for this particular made up award was, i suggest, unreasonably high.

but hey, people got made when ESPN added Secretariat to the "top 100 athletes of the 20th century" as well. so you have good company.

just food for thought. cheers.
no clue what you just said but ok man cheers to ya

Back