Gatekeepers that pulled it off.

Draxton

Hello There
@Black
Reaction score
Who is the top perennial gatekeeper who finally pulled off the big W and took home the gold, even if only for a moment.

Miesha Tate comes to mind. A great fighter always just a runner up due to Ronda.

Bisping is probably my #1 pick. I never thought he would pull it off. I was happy for him when he did but he lost that second Henderson fight and has become a turd since the.

Before Bisping KTFO Luke, I referred to him as, "The Gatekeeper of Gatekeepers."

He punched ME in the mouth as well as Salthold, and shut me the F up for good.

Whether one thinks he's a good fighter or not, he became world champ.

Last edited:
Conor?

e09a9cb80e3e3087d1a84b6762a5f475e5404b6d915185e7da6775ec8cc63210.jpg

Bisping landed 50% more strikes than Henderson. But he was knocked down and hurt, I give Henderson that. A younger Henderson would've won and with the new scoring it would've been closer.

Forrest Griffin

He wasn’t even a gatekeeper really.

Who is the top perennial gatekeeper who finally pulled off the big W and took home the gold, even if only for a moment.

Miesha Tate comes to mind. A great fighter always just a runner up due to Ronda.

Bisping is probably my #1 pick. I never thought he would pull it off. I was happy for him when he did but he lost that second Henderson fight and has become a turd since the.
I believe there´s a misunderstanding about the term "gatekeeper".

According to me, a gatekeeper is someone who´s no longer elite, but not a journeyman yet.

= Someone who used to be a potential contender, then regressed but is still game.

According to me, a gatekeeper is someone who´s no longer elite, but not a journeyman yet.

= Someone who used to be a potential contender, then regressed but is still game.
I always thought gatekeeper was the guy you have to beat to get a title shot. A talented fighter good enough to beat everyone except the elite of the division.

The chick who camps out at my gate always pulls it off to get my attention but my girlfriend always insists there isn't room for 3 in the bed.

I hate the whole situation.

I always thought gatekeeper was the guy you have to beat to get a title shot. A talented fighter good enough to beat everyone except the elite of the division.
Hence, I dont see how BS-Ping fits in there...

To me, a gatekeeper is a top guy who is usually hovering in the top 5. Either he never gets the title shot or just can’t beat the champ. And yeah, beating the gatekeeper gets you a title shot.

Cerrone, Cheik Kongo, Bisping (until recently), maybe even Wanderlei or CroCop.

What gate is that keeping? Gatekeepers are the guys who are consistently just outside the elite against whom up and comers get tested to see where they are.

Some could argue Rafael dos Anjos was a gatekeeper for a time before just finally surging past the rest
Came into the UFC, lost to Tyson Griffin and Jeremy Stephens, beat some low level guys, lost to gatekeeper Clay Guida. Upset George Sotiropoulos who was "In the mix" at the time and then dropped a decision to Gleison Tibau. Then went on a solid streak before losing to Khabib. At this point no one thinks he'll touch the title but he KOs Ben Henderson and then dominates Nate Diaz and Pettis to capture the title.

Last edited:
"In boxing and mixed martial arts (MMA), a gatekeeper is a skillful and well-regarded fighter, but one who does not have the popularity or brilliance of a contender. They are considered to be a cut above most journeymen."

Back