What people don't seem to get - Legendary Status

The8Trifecta

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I see a lot of people, and fighters, acting entitled or complaining about GSP taking the Bisping fight rather than "proving himself" for the Welterweight title.

What people don't seem to understand is that once you reach legendary status, you have far less to prove and you've earned the right to take any kind of fight.

Georges St Pierre has dominated the WW division for over 10 years and defended the title 9 times. Woodley and others are not on that level of accomplishment yet. There are levels to success.

BJ Penn should not receive flack for wanting to come back to fight, he's earned that right.

Conor McGregor earned the right to jump weight divisions and choose where he goes next because he fought and won titles in multiple weight divisions.

Silva, Jones, randy couture, chuck Liddell, and the list goes on.

Fighters like Bisping can have all the wins in the world, but if you haven't defended the title as many times then you aren't as accomplished. Woodley is scratching the surface, but shouldn't be in the same level as GSP because he hasn't reached that legendary status yet.

Conor McGregor earned the right to jump weight divisions and choose where he goes next
oJrBMkfQ0i9PkvJpNxRq_Trampoline%20Ice%20Frown.gif

No.....Just No.

Welcome to the "Super-Fight" era. WME has to get their money back somehow.

Nobody is mad at GSP. It's Bisping who's holding up the division.

I see a lot of people, and fighters, acting entitled or complaining about GSP taking the Bisping fight rather than "proving himself" for the Welterweight title.

What people don't seem to understand is that once you reach legendary status, you have far less to prove and you've earned the right to take any kind of fight.

latest

I have no problem with that

oJrBMkfQ0i9PkvJpNxRq_Trampoline%20Ice%20Frown.gif

No.....Just No.

Conor defeated Jose Aldo and Eddie Alvarez, did he not? They could've have shut him down and showed he didn't belong, but they didn't when it counted.

James Irvin said they same thing about Anderson Silva in Silva's first fight in LHW, but you know how it ended.

Conor defeated Jose Aldo and Eddie Alvarez, did he not? They could've have shut him down and showed he didn't belong, but they didn't when it counted.

James Irvin said they same thing about Anderson Silva in Silva's first fight in LHW, but you know how it ended.

He did NOTHING to "earn" that shot at LW, regardless of how it turned out.

He got put in favorable positions due to his ability to MARKET a fight, and himself, but he most certainly didn't 'earn' it, by working his way up and fighting legit top 10 guys.

And now we find a divisions title frozen up because of him being GIFTED that title shot.

You're right about GSP but everything else is just silly

He got put in favorable positions due to his ability to MARKET a fight, and himself, but he most certainly didn't 'earn' it, by working his way up and fighting legit top 10 guys.

And now we find a divisions title frozen up because of him being GIFTED that title shot.

I concur with you on Conor. He's the only one of the list that isn't as well-established. GSP is a different story, however.

I concur with you on Conor. He's the only one of the list that isn't as well-established. GSP is a different story, however.

Agreed. I only disagreed about the McG part.

GSP is the undisputed GOAT imo.

He still "earned it", just not the way "you" thought he should.
Now that all the Mayweather bs is over, he's gonna have to "earn it" again by defending against the rightful contenders.

Back