Did anyone in MMA history stayed #1 contender in a division for as long as Benavidez did?

SirKratos

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Dude is #1 contender since fucking 2009.... Almost 10 years without going up or down a single spot

#1 BW contender between 2009-2012

#1 FLW contender between 2012-now

Props to him for keeping himself motivated all this time. You'd think a fighter would lose some of that after losing twice to champions in 2 different divisions

More curiously did anyone stay the #1 contender as long as Benevidez while never even fighting the other long standing #1 contender Jon Dodson? How the hell have they never fought or even had the bout discussed?

They might aswell make a third fight with Mouse

I can't think of anyone else who has been ranked #2 that long. If it's even true.

I feel sorry for Benavidez that he's so tiny. If 115 were a thing, he'd make it easily. He was a beast. I don't think he'll hold that spot much longer though. Hasn't looked the same since MM decked him in the rematch, despite the wins.

Dude is #1 contender since fucking 2009.... Almost 10 years without going up or down a single spot

#1 BW contender between 2009-2012

#1 FLW contender between 2012-now

Props to him for keeping himself motivated all this time. You'd think a fighter would lose some of that after losing twice to champions in 2 different divisions

He wasn't the #1 contender that entire time. He wasn't #1 when Barao was wrecking shit and Faber was strangling everyone etc.

Funny, I don't think DC was the #1 contender at any point in his career. Dead serious

Up until First Jones fight:

Only beat Cummins and old Hendo at LHW. Can't be the #1 contender with those wins.

Between the first Jones suspension and first Rumble fight:

Rumble was the #1 contender

Between first Rumble fight and Jones rematch:

He was the champ.

Last edited:
I feel sorry for Benavidez that he's so tiny. If 115 were a thing, he'd make it easily. He was a beast. I don't think he'll hold that spot much longer though. Hasn't looked the same since MM decked him in the rematch.

He's married to fucking Megan Olivi. WTF do you feel sorry for him for? He's doing a job he enjoys, making good money, is a top guys in his weight class and is married to Olivi.

He's married to fucking Megan Olivi. WTF do you feel sorry for him for? He's doing a job he enjoys, making good money, is a top guys in his weight class and is married to Olivi.
I just think if he was a little bigger, he'd have won a title at 135 and/or 125. He gave Cruz more trouble than most did, despite an enormous size disadvantage.

Funny, I don't think DC was the #1 contender at any point in his career. Dead serious

Up until First Jones fight:

Only beat Cummins and old Hendo at LHW. Can't be the #1 contender with those wins.

Between the first Jones suspension and first Rumble fight:

Rumble was the #1 contender

Between first Rumble fight and Jones rematch:

He was the champ.
When all said and done he will go down as a staying the longest as a paper champ for sure

Big Nog was either the HW world champ or the 2nd best guy in the world for like 8 or 9 years.

Crazy run

The Iceman Chuck Liddell Tito straight up running away from him for years.

More curiously did anyone stay the #1 contender as long as Benevidez while never even fighting the other long standing #1 contender Jon Dodson? How the hell have they never fought or even had the bout discussed?

They were saving Dodson for a second title shot and then he went up after losing

Relative to the length that that her division has been around, gadelha deserves a mention.

Chael was #1 in MW for quite some time

Back