TJ vs. Cody is the final of an [unofficial] 8-Man Bantamweight Grand Prix

mattandbenny

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
BW_Tourney.png

So if you work back, it works out this could be the final of a GP.

I know it's obviously not a real tournament, but from someone who loves tournaments i thought this was quite cool.

Mizugaki wasn't one of the top 8 bantamweights but close enough. Interesting find

Maybe if you replaced that fight with Cody-Almeida

BW_Tourney.png

I know it's obviously not a real tournament, but from someone who loves tournaments i thought this was quite cool.
Well spotted. The final is a fight that couldn't be more exciting.

Tournaments is what started it all in the UFC, and continued in Pride (RIP, Pride never die, 10 year anniversary).

Thanks TS! Looking forward to the final of the UFC 8 man bantamweight tournament.

You can literally do this with any fight that with fighters that had no rematches in their previous 2 fights.
The whole point of a tournament is the ability to predict future matchups.

Mizugaki wasn't one of the top 8 bantamweights but close enough. Interesting find

Feel like most high level tournaments or GP's back in the day were always missing at least 1 important/relevant fighter due to prior engagements or injury or whatever. At the very least he was incredibly experienced fighting a then 9-0 fighter.

Ufc wanted ratings.. this would have brought them, great tournament with great fighters and fights.

Good job TS

You can literally do this with any fight that with fighters that had no rematches in their previous 2 fights.
The whole point of a tournament is the ability to predict future matchups.
*and that won their previous two fights.
But yeah this is really nothing special. This retroactive bracketing can be done to any one of the titles that is not a WME shitshow.

It does make it fun to look at it like a tournament. Still have no idea who is going to win or who I even want to win, its one of those fights I'm just going to enjoy no matter what the outcome.

BW_Tourney.png

Its close, but your missing out the fact that Dominic Cruz beat TJ. So bascially TJ would have been knocked out of the tournie.

Its close, but your missing out the fact that Dominic Cruz beat TJ. So bascially TJ would have been knocked out of the tournie.

Where is he missing? Cruz vs. TJ happened before that hypothetical 8-man tourney started

Where is he missing? Cruz vs. TJ happened before that hypothetical 8-man tourney started

WOW yeah you guys are right.. I apologise.. I thought the TJ cruz fight was a lot sooner than it actually was.. Time flies ..........

BW_Tourney.png

UFC should hire people like you. an official tournament would be more fun for the fans

Completely agree - when i was making the brackets i actually thought the Cody-Almeida fight would have been a QF... Was a bit gutted when i realised he fought Mizugaki after beating Almeida.

*and that won their previous two fights.
But yeah this is really nothing special. This retroactive bracketing can be done to any one of the titles that is not a WME shitshow.

It's a lot harder for these unofficial tournaments to happen than you think - as far as i'm aware this is the only one (maybe Flyweight too). I actually started to do one for a lightweight GP which Ferguson won involving Kevin Lee, Mike Chiesa, Rafael Dos Anjos, Francisco Trinaldo etc. But Dos Anjos Messed it up - he fought Ferguson (in what would have been the semi's) after getting KO'd by Alvarez.

Maybe there would be a Flyweight one if you work back with DJ, Borg, Reis, Formiga etc, but it wouldn't have the same name power as this BW one - this BW is stacked.

It's a lot harder for these unofficial tournaments to happen than you think - as far as i'm aware this is the only one (maybe Flyweight too). I actually started to do one for a lightweight GP which Ferguson won involving Kevin Lee, Mike Chiesa, Rafael Dos Anjos, Francisco Trinaldo etc. But Dos Anjos Messed it up - he fought Ferguson (in what would have been the semi's) after getting KO'd by Alvarez.

Maybe there would be a Flyweight one if you work back with DJ, Borg, Reis, Formiga etc, but it wouldn't have the same name power as this BW one - this BW is stacked.
You're right in fact - I suppose it shouldn't be a surprise that the category that I mentioned of "WME shitshow" turns out to include all but one of the divisions. I wonder whether you would have found more eligible titles a couple of years ago. Probably.

That doesn't make sense at all. Mizugaki wouldn't be in the tournament and top seeds are supposed to face lowest seeds first. They wouldn't start off with Cruz/Faber.

BW_Tourney.png

Even in your make believe tournament, how can a title fight be the opening round?

Back