Tired of the lame "wrestling isn't real fighting excuse" in MMA. Escpecially from you Bisping

Theproof

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So sick of hearing this from guys. This is about the lamest thing that can come out of an MMA fighters mouth. I've been hearing Bisping talk about how GSP will try to incorporate wrestling into the match and that all wrestlers are just people who want to "hide from the fight" which is absolutely silly.

I mean, maybe Bisping should just go and do Kickboxing and get knocked the fuck out if he hates wrestling so much.

It's just funny to me that it's called mix martial arts and yet all a lot of guys want to do is turn each fight into a boxing or kickboxing match.

Shout out to Conor who I'm sure wished he could have panic wrestled Floyd before getting stopped. LMAO

its a joke

watch this interview with him. Doesn't sound so much like a joke the way he's explaining it. Talking about how wrestling isn't giving the fans their money's worth and whatnot.

Not all wrestlers get takedowns to avoid a fight. But GSP does, a lot.

I agree. Anyone who says that is just too lazy to learn/try to stop it.

It would be no different than somebody saying "kicking isn't real fighting! If you throw a kick, you're not a real fighter!"

Wrestling is a part of fighting. You can take somebody down, you can clinch up when in close quarters.

Anyone who disagrees should go watch boxing or kickboxing. This sport MMA was once called NHB (No Holds Barred) and also Vale Tudo, which means anything and everything is allowed.

Bisping is just planting the seed for his excuse if he gets dominated on the mat by a superior wrestler.

It also seems that most modern fighters are not very confident in their submissions and sweeps on the ground. Most of them only focus on takedown defense, escapes and standups so they get frustrated when a great wrestler is able to maintain control.

Also, the 5 minute rounds of UFC can be a blessing for non-wrestlers so they can start the next round back on the feet, yet at the same time being on bottom for the duration of a short round also likely means you probably just lost that round.

Many factors have contributed to weaker grappling and the mindset of the modern fighter looking to only win rounds and not the fight itself. That goes for both the guy on top and the guy on bottom. Often times both men are stalling and looking to game the system these days. If we had 10 minute rounds and knees on the ground in America, many more opportunities would open up. There would be more action and more finishes.

Last edited:
A fighter who can't defend a TD deserves to lose.

Mike's just trying to play mind games. There are plenty of fights were he has wrestled the opponent himself (Like vs Kang, Elvis, Stann, Chael against the cage etc)

You guys are fucking idiots if u think hes being serious. Hes just trying to get under that french cucks skin.

In a street fight, if a dude can dump you on your back and keep you there, you're done.

Wrestling is the best base for combat there is.

Wrestling is the best fighting base. However, chain wrestling (a la Clay Guida vs. Anthony Pettis) literally is the avoidance of fighting.

If the wrestling is used as a means to go for a sub or lay down some GnP, then i'm all for it.... but it can be boring and often times does look like the avoidance of fighting.

I agree, if you can't top a takedown, that fighter deserves to lose... it just may not be aesthetically pleasing or exciting to a fan watching.

and i'm tired of champs not defending against contenders.

sucks to be us, eh?

So sick of hearing this from guys. This is about the lamest thing that can come out of an MMA fighters mouth. I've been hearing Bisping talk about how GSP will try to incorporate wrestling into the match and that all wrestlers are just people who want to "hide from the fight" which is absolutely silly.

I mean, maybe Bisping should just go and do Kickboxing and get knocked the fuck out if he hates wrestling so much.

It's just funny to me that it's called mix martial arts and yet all a lot of guys want to do is turn each fight into a boxing or kickboxing match.

Shout out to Conor who I'm sure wished he could have panic wrestled Floyd before getting stopped. LMAO
Mike wants gsp to stand and fight, he's trying to get into georges head by saying wrestling is boring hoping he decides to go toe to toe.
This isn't difficult.

Not all wrestlers get takedowns to avoid a fight. But GSP does, a lot.

Depends on the fight

But most of the time GSP got easily side mount or half guard, the other guy just cover up, or turtle up (like Diaz) and didn't attempt sweeps, submissions or just to regain position. In MMA if you try something on your back, you get open for huge ground and pound.

The ground battles GSP had in the past were

Against Alves where he was very aggressive

Against Fitch, where he was very aggressive

Against Hardy, which was all about submission attempts that he wasn't able to finish

Against Condit, he was in the half guard or side mount all the time, could have been more aggressive but Condit never risk anything that could leave an opening

Against Diaz, Diaz was turtling up and was frustrated that GSP wasn't just letting him roll by blocking is legs

In a street fight, if a dude can dump you on your back and keep you there, you're done.

Wrestling is the best base for combat there is.

Honestly, slamming someone on the pavement and getting back up asap is the better plan. You don't want to stay on the ground in case he has buddies... You'd be surprised how fast a boot to the side of the skull can come out of the blue.

He knows GSP is the superior wrestler. Maybe he is trying to make this a standup fight by saying dumb shit like this.

Back