Ferguson is overall better than Diaz atm but Diaz is harder fight for Conor.

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Tony deserves the match with conor no doubt. Diaz shouldnt get the fight for being inactive.

One thing though imo is that Tony is the easier fight for conor. His boxing is a step below Diaz and conor and while he is the number 1 contender he doesn't matchup with conor as well as diaz does.

So while i think it would be a shame to pit conor vs diaz at this point i do see while people want it because it is definitely a harder matchup for Mcgoat

Simply because Nate has better boxing ?.
You're going to have to give us more than that if you want to convince anyone.

The only thing that matters is

Nate fight will line Conor's pockets better

I think if Conor fought Nate again he would smoke him. Nate is stuck in the mud, Conor still progressing. While Tony seems very very sloppy on the feet sometimes and think Conor can and would pick him apart, he is tough as shit and really unconventional with great subs. Think Tony is a much harder fight for Conor.

We'll see if Tony has much success at all in getting McGregor to the ground, but his tdd and clinch is underrated Imo.

I agree that standing up Nate is a worse matchup for Conor. Cormier was right, Ferg leaves his chin up and exposed.

I think Tony is way more awkward across the board but Conor will be able to hit him. The Nate fight will always be there. It will be an even bigger fight the longer it's put aside.

"Absence makes the heart grow fonder"

This is even more true when you consider that Diaz's boxing was far from the sharpest its ever looked in his two fights with McGregor. If Nate comes into the third fight looking as sharp as he did when he fought Cerrone, then it'll definitely be the toughest fight of the three for Conor.

Tony is a beast and is good everywhere. His only flaw is his boxing defense. His toughness and chin has held up so far but will it hold up against someone as technical and precise as Conor? That’s the big question.

Not sure about harder, Tony is a brilliant grappler and I have my suspicions he's going to go straight to it in this fight, I don't think he'll risk getting caught, we all know he likes to strike but it's Conor's only chance really so he'll look to avoid it and play to the guys weakness.

Tony deserves the match with conor no doubt. Diaz shouldnt get the fight for being inactive.

One thing though imo is that Tony is the easier fight for conor. His boxing is a step below Diaz and conor and while he is the number 1 contender he doesn't matchup with conor as well as diaz does.

So while i think it would be a shame to pit conor vs diaz at this point i do see while people want it because it is definitely a harder matchup for Mcgoat

TS, Tony is tough as nails evident in the Lee GNP, and pulling out the sub granted it was a guy with a staph infection.

I think Tony is the true #1 contender but, he runs forward with his chin in the air, and I think McGregor snipes him.

Tony is a beast and is good everywhere. His only flaw is his boxing defense. His toughness and chin has held up so far but will it hold up against someone as technical and precise as Conor? That’s the big question.

He almost got KTFO by a journey man with not a fraction as good a striking or power. Tony was on queer street skating all over the octagon. He still pulled out the W so, you cannot question his heart or his chin. I think Tony has the pace to beat Mcgregor in the later rounds but, I think Mcgregor needs to snipe him early because Tony is a late starter IMHO.

Not sure about harder, Tony is a brilliant grappler and I have my suspicions he's going to go straight to it in this fight, I don't think he'll risk getting caught, we all know he likes to strike but it's Conor's only chance really so he'll look to avoid it and play to the guys weakness.

The thing is, tony is a cocky guy, and he tries to stand and I think he will with Mcgregor. A journey man had him on queer street.

The reason is we all assume tony is gonna strike. If tony is super disciplined and follow a grappling game plan. He can beat conor

What an original, hardly ever mentioned on Sherdog opinion.

I'm not totally sure Ferg would beat Nate in a 5 rounder.
Nate is frustrating to deal with no matter where the fight goes.

Ferg's fancy grappling would never work on someone with such solid BJJ fundamentals and aggressive style as Nate.

TS, Tony is tough as nails evident in the Lee GNP, and pulling out the sub granted it was a guy with a staph infection.

I think Tony is the true #1 contender but, he runs forward with his chin in the air, and I think McGregor snipes him.
I rewatched the fight Lee basically missed every punch during his Gnp flurry bc Ferg defended and deflected. Great defense from ferg imo

The thing is, tony is a cocky guy, and he tries to stand and I think he will with Mcgregor. A journey man had him on queer street.
Yes if he chooses to stand I think he'll get destroyed and it's all a case of how durable he really is, if he lasts more than 2 rounds it's his, he could ofcourse get sparked.

We'll see if Tony has much success at all in getting McGregor to the ground, but his tdd and clinch is underrated Imo.

How would you know? Ferguson hardly ever takes anyone down. He's had three takedowns in his last ten fights, and not a single takedown in his last five bouts. Tony's been taken down six times in the same five-fight span.

On paper, Ferguson is a much better wrestler than Nate Diaz. But you wouldn't know it from the stats.

Back