Imagine Rashad didn't hurt his knee and drop out of UFC 128...

The Natural Born Runner

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So many interesting questions come from that.

1.) Who would have won between Mauricio Rua and Rashad Evans?

What a fight that would have been at the time. Shogun was past his athletic prime, but this was still before his second devastating knee injury, he was a different animal. Rashad had gone back to his wrestling roots since the Machida loss, but was riding two big wins over Jackson and Silva.

Personal prediction: Shogun would have knocked Rashad out, would have been a great spectacle though.

2.) What would have happened with Jon Jones?

Jones rose to stardom the night of UFC 128. His demolishing of Rua shocked the MMA world and the star was born right then and there. If he had not been given that shot, would things have worked out the same way, who would he have fought instead?

Personal prediction: It would have only been a matter of time, Jones probably would have fought Rua or Evans in the end anyway and I could only see one outcome in either fight.

3.) Would Evans and Jones' friendship continued?

If Jones didn't "steal" Evans' chance at the belt and then turn around and say he'd fight him, what would have happened? Would Jones have still pursued that shot, would Evans approach a potential fight between the two in the same fashion?

Personal prediction: Sociopath Jones would still have pursued the title and Evans, it was coming either way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any other potential scenarios that may have changed in the Space Time Continuum?

What a fight that would have been at the time. Shogun was past his athletic prime, but this was still before his second devastating knee injury, he was a different animal. Rashad had gone back to his wrestling roots since the Machida loss, but was riding two big wins over Jackson and Silva.

Personal prediction: Shogun would have knocked Rashad out, would have been a great spectacle though.

Jones rose to stardom the night of UFC 128. His demolishing of Rua shocked the MMA world and the star was born right then and there. If he had not been given that shot, would things have worked out the same way, who would he have fought instead?

Personal prediction: It would have only been a matter of time, Jones probably would have fought Rua or Evans in the end anyway and I could only see one outcome in either fight.

If Jones didn't "steal" Evans' chance at the belt and then turn around and say he'd fight him, what would have happened? Would Jones have still pursued that shot, would Evans approach a potential fight between the two in the same fashion?

Personal prediction: Sociopath Jones would still have pursued the title and Evans, it was coming either way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any other potential scenarios that may have changed in the Space Time Continuum?

1. Rashad by LnP UD, with a couple of knockdowns from Shogun's side.

2-3. The relationship would NOT continue, because Jones would've challenge Evans for the belt and split the Jackson-Wink camp once again. And win the title.

Shogun would have likely lost a close decision.

Wrestlers like Rashad are kryptonite to fighters like Shogun...

Shogun was also amazing at that time, don't forget that he solved the Machida puzzle twice.
But that was the only amazing thing he did, he looked stiff against Old Chuck and horrific against Coleman.

He matched up nicely against Machida as it turns out, but Rashad was 15-1 and survived power shots from Rampage - i'd love to see that fight actually, just not any more!

But that was the only amazing thing he did, he looked stiff against Old Chuck and horrific against Coleman.

He matched up nicely against Machida as it turns out, but Rashad was 15-1 and survived power shots from Rampage - i'd love to see that fight actually, just not any more!
Shogun hits just as hard as Rampage I reckon, he has deceptive power.

Shogun murked Chuck, lets not lie. He was a disgrace against Coleman and Forrest, but I honestly believe that had a lot to do with his knee issues. Once he steadied the ship he was back.

So in essence nothing would be different...

Rashad would have beat the ever loving shit out of Shogun at 128

1. Rashad by LnP UD, with a couple of knockdowns from Shogun's side.

2-3. The relationship would NOT continue, because Jones would've challenge Evans for the belt and split the Jackson-Wink camp once again. And win the title.
I think that it’s a possibility that Jon would have been the one to leave the camp instead of rashad in a scenario like this though. Rashad would have been the established champion at the time and not just another contender and Jon would have been challenging him.

Shogun in his prime back then would have completely destroyed Rashad, KO'd him similar to what Machida did to him

1. Rashad would have beaten Shogun, and with ease. Shogun wilts under wrestlers and physically dominant fighters. Rashad destroyed Tito later this year like it was nothing, and dominated Phil Davis not much later. Shogun only had a puncher's chance.

2. I think you're exaggerating about how shocked the MMA world was. Jones was betting favorite. I and many others expected it to go down the way it did. Hardcore PRIDE/Shogun fans were the reason polls had Shogun winning. Jones was destined for greatness regardless. It isn't like he won this fight THEN people started to notice him; he was already expected to be a future long reigning champ. To answer your question, Jones woulda beaten Rashad in late 2011. The timeline woulda been shifted, but things woulda ended up going a similar way to how they did in reality.

3. I agree with you. Jones woulda fought Rashad.

I think that it’s a possibility that Jon would have been the one to leave the camp instead of rashad in a scenario like this though. Rashad would have been the established champion at the time and not just another contender and Jon would have been challenging him.

Jackson and Winklejohn know both fighters very well and see their potential.
No way they would've prefer Rashad over Jones.

Jones would have faced his nemesis Phil Davis

jonjones_phildavis_evelynrodrigues.jpg

Jackson and Winklejohn know both fighters very well and see their potential.
No way they would've prefer Rashad over Jones.
I don’t think they would turn down a champion who was there first. Rashad chose to leave, they never forced him out. With him as champ I think Jon would have made the decision himself to go elsewhere

I don’t think they would turn down a champion who was there first. Rashad chose to leave, they never forced him out. With him as champ I think Jon would have made the decision himself to go elsewhere
Plus who would ever want to spend extended time in ABQ.

Back