now that the dust has setted...thoughts on Weidman vs Silva 1 and 2

revoltub

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
when weidman beat anderson, we saw what at the time we thought was a changing of the guard.

both fights are very polarizing.

the first one, you might say weidman tricked silva into slipping into his left, or you might say it was just bad timing on andersons part.

in the second fight, there was a freak accident, or a perfectly times check.

what do u think

Both fights were completely legit. Silva won zero rounds of either fight. He landed nothing of note in the first fight, and got caught multiple times on the chin before being knocked out. Then he got rocked in the second fight before the leg break. In fact there wasn't even a minute that he won in either fight. That said, Silva was in his late 30s and had already been dominated and rocked multiple times by the pillow-fisted Sonnen. He clearly wasn't in his prime.

Diaz 1, 2, 4 ... wait wrong thread

what do u think

I think you could discuss it ad nauseam. But that doesn't change the fact that Weidman was in his prime and simply a better fighter. If they fought 10 times I suspect Weidman would win all 10.

Unfortunately, the rest of the division was growing up at the same time and it didn't turn out that Weidman was Silva's long term successor. Still had a good run. Beat the goat twice.

Anderson Silva, you absolutely suck.

when weidman beat anderson, we saw what at the time we thought was a changing of the guard.

both fights are very polarizing.

the first one, you might say weidman tricked silva into slipping into his left, or you might say it was just bad timing on andersons part.

in the second fight, there was a freak accident, or a perfectly times check.

what do u think
Two legit losses IMHO.
I was ready to make Weidman the MW GOAT.

What happened later is what gave me
headaches.
Anderson got caught and The Chris efficiency dropped dramatically as USADA updated their game.

Weidman deserves credit for what he did in the first fight. He didn't let Silva's mind games bother him and got the finish. Of course, you still have to take into account that Silva was on the decline.

The 2nd fight ended in an unfortunate way but I still think Weidman would've won had it not occurred.

I think Silva got bored in the first fight and freak accident in the 2nd fight

Silva is the superior fighter by far imo he was also past his prime when they met.

Silva underestimated The chris alas Rochold vs Bisiping 2. And then broke his foot in a freak accident just as he started to find his range.

3rd one Silva should be able to pull the horseshoe up Chris arse, and beat him on the head with it

The Chris won both fights easily it's time to move on Silva fans.

Well I sure wish Weidman had fucked off and never fought Silva at all.

anyone who says 1st fight was luck isn't giving Weidman enough credit - he tko'd Uriah Hall with a similar strike

anyone who says 1st fight was skill isn't giving Silva enough credit - he was unfocused and clowning

I still would like to see a 3rd fight in Brazil where Silva refuses to lose and see what happens

It’s pretty obvious both wins were flukes

1st fight Silva was clearly toying with weidman. He was coming off a 1st round ko win vs a lhw who’s not been finished up until that point (2 tko loses were due to doctor stoppages). He clearly went into weidman fight overconfident n felt unstoppable.

After giving weidman 1st round (Silva had the tendency to lose the 1st to “feel out” the opponent) Silva noticed weidman was visibly gassed n that’s went he went into his clowning mode. He didn’t respect the inexperience n gassed weidman n paid the price for it.

In the 2nd fight Silva lost the 1st round after getting dropped. He still finished that round strong by beating up weidman off his back n busting him up.

In the 2nd round weidman was once again visibly tried n probably didn’t recover from all the blows in the 1st round

Silva once again felt weidman was seconds away from being finished n that’s when he started throwing those telegraphed kicks. Weidman pretty much became a punching bag in that round n all he did was block.

The ending was a freak injury

it never ceases to amaze me how delusional silva nuthuggers are.

People say the first one was legit cos Silva "always did that" as if that means he needs to do it to win and therefore that was him trying 100%.
People say the second one was legit because even if he breaks his fucking leg, it can't be a fluke because one already happened

Silva messes with people it's part of his game.It screws people up,they don't know what to expect,it freezes people up so they can't find their rythm/timing and it was often very effective.He got caught using one of his usually very effective tools.Chris was very smart in how he attacked when Silva did his thing instead of freezing up like most,it was part of his gameplan and this is something he talked about to counter Silva's antics.So many people call it a lucky shot or Silva was just clowning and messing around,people are pretty stupid.Chris was winning and then knocked him out.

In the 2nd fight Silva had an unfortunate injury but up until then was getting his ass kicked and at one point dropped and rocked real bad.

Chris whooped his ass,twice.

You can argue about it forever.

Some people keep saying Silva was "losing every single moment".
Silva is never going to be "winning" against a wrestler. He looks for that one moment to finish them with.
On top of that, Weidman has never lost a first round; Weidman wasn't doing much of anything in the 2nd round of either fight until the bizarre finishes.
Silva might play some mind games but NOTHING like he did in the fights against Bonnar and Weidman. Those were free KO shots. What if Bonnar had managed to KO him? It was possible.

Silva was getting old and lost speed.
We've seen Weidman give plenty of moments that a younger Silva could easily capitalize on.
I think Weidman was just in the right place at the right time.

When you close your eyes while someone is trying to punch you in the face sometimes you get knocked out.

I think Silva got bored in the first fight and freak accident in the 2nd fight

Silva is the superior fighter by far imo he was also past his prime when they met.

Silva got so bored in the first fight he fell asleep...

Back