If Stephen Thompson beats Masvidal and then loses to Woodley, should he move up to MW?

MMAart

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
If Stephen Thompson beats Masvidal and then loses to Woodley, should he move up to MW?

Would you like to see him at MW?

Thompson vs. Machida - Kempo Karate vs. Shotokan Karate would be an interesting match-up.
What do you guys think?

Height: 6′ 0″ (183 cm)
Weight: 170lb (77kg)
Reach: 75 in (191 cm)
StephenThompsonKAR.jpg

Height: 6′ 1″ (185 cm)
Weight: 185lb (84kg)
Reach: 74 in (188 cm)
Leotomichada.jpg

He lost to Woodley twixe already and offered nothing i dont want to see him in a title fight

While i would like to see whittaker get his revenge, i dont believe wonderboy belongs at middleweight.

Like I said another time. Beefcake Thompson KOs all the glass chin hypes at 185.

Wonderboy.png

Bisping will be retired when WonderCount reigns. Maybe his boy Weidman moves up.

He might as well move up he isn't beating Woodley anytime soon.

Like I said another time. Beefcake Thompson KOs all the glass chin hypes at 185.

Wonderboy.png

Bisping will be retired when WonderCount reigns. Maybe his boy Weidman moves up.

Rockhold/Wonderboy would be an amazing matchup stylistically, though im not sure how much size Rockhold has on him or if he'd be willing to stand and trade or just grapplefuck him

While i would like to see whittaker get his revenge, i dont believe wonderboy belongs at middleweight.
Well he weighs around 190 on fight night and weighed 200 for his fight with Matt Brown. Cerrone is 174 on fight night at 170 and has looked amazing besides the Masvidal fight. Brown, Story and Cote all had 20+lbs on him. Wonderboy would be fine at 185.

I assumed he doesn't want to go to 185 to avoid fighting Weidman (his brother in law).

Wonderboy is a nightmare matchup for most fighters - while I was rooting for Woodley in both of their fights, neither fighter really "won"( and conversely, neither of their stock really changes that much one way or the other. It was a virtual stalemate).

I do however see WB struggling against really physical wrestlers like Romero.

Is it because of his frame or fighting style?
Frame. I think wonderboy lacks the strength to be able to stop romero, rockhold, jacare, branch etc grappling him

Wonderboy was too scared of Woodley, who is thick as hell but arguably a manlet, to do a damned thing.

At 185 he'd be utterly petrified. It's probably a bad idea.

Makes a lot of sense if Whittaker becomes champ.

He'll have an easier road to the title considering that he has a win over Whittaker and Whittaker's success at MW itself will give optimism for Wonderboy's journey.

Its going to take a lot more than beating Masvidal before i'd ever want to see him fight Woodley a 3rd time.

Thompson Woodley 3 would do about 5,000 in PPV numbers...

He lost to Woodley twixe already and offered nothing i dont want to see him in a title fight

If he wins in impressive fashion his next fight, and the one after that.. i say give him another shot. I was really disappointed with his showings in title fights, but prior to them he showed he is a exciting fighter.

He has a case of Cerronites ( yeah i just invited that), and probably his weirdo father isn't really helping things along. Its a shame, with a trainer like Greg Jackson he would reign over the division with ease.

He needs to win 2 or 3 more fights to get another shot at WW.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
durbanik916
Back