Who was the UFC 1st protected fighter??

lenbiasgoat

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I see a lot of people saying RR and conor were/are being protected from hard matchups.. who would u guys say was the first ufc fighter that got coddled??

Tito Ortiz?

Took so long to fight Chuck and fought Ken 3 times?

Pride FC protected Chuck Liddell lol. He and Couture had their little trilogy while the real killers were in Japan

Seeing so many say Tito, which is a good answer, got me thinking: While I don't think Chuck was necessarily protected, but he benefitted from matchmaking and UFC having a weak LHW division at the time. He fought a lot of subpar strikers who couldn't take him down. He also got to avenge his loss to Jeremy Horn. Chuck was lucky guys like Shogun, Rampage, Wand, etc. competed in Pride. Not quite the same but close.

I don't think UFC cared as much back then. It was more individual fighters like Tito making a habit of trying to hand pick opponents.

The UFC was founded to showcase Royse Gracie. Every advantage possible is said to have been given to him. He backed it up, but some of the stories definitely could land him as the first fighter to be favorited by the organization.

cant believe no one has said anderson silva.and chuck before him. of course tito before him. thought connor was too but seems he will fight anyone. khabib hasnt had much competition either

Pride FC protected Chuck Liddell lol. He and Couture had their little trilogy while the real killers were in Japan
...said the naysayers, until dana brought chuck over to japan to prove a point...and liddell got his ass whooped by the man in your av.

to add insult to injury dana was commentating and was beyond salty when it became clear chuck was about to lose

Which killers?

Wanderlei Silva? came the UFC and has a 50/50 record
Shogun Rua? Gets beat by Forrest Griffin in his first fight and amassed a 50/50 record since then
Ricardo Arono? He said, "screw it, I'm not going to the UFC

Seriously no one saying Tim Sylivia? that guy failed so many Roid test.....

Which killers?

Wanderlei Silva? came the UFC and has a 50/50 record
Shogun Rua? Gets beat by Forrest Griffin in his first fight and amassed a 50/50 record since then
Ricardo Arono? He said, "screw it, I'm not going to the UFC

Hello one of the brain dead... At the time Pride WAS the talent. Years of fighting wears guys out, and change in rules and cage don't help either. Go watch Chuck get the crap kicked out of him when he went there, listen to him bleating...

Hello one of the brain dead... At the time Pride WAS the talent. Years of fighting wears guys out, and change in rules and cage don't help either. Go watch Chuck get the crap kicked out of him when he went there, listen to him bleating...

Oh so you are talking about what you think "woulda coulda" happened. Cool

I don't deal with "woulda coulda shoulda". I deal with do,did, and does.

Back