Was GSP vs Bisping their plan all along or do you think Tyron lost his chance after the Maia fight?

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Was GSP vs Bisping their plan all along or do you think Tyron lost his chance after the Maia fight?

Imo that was just an excuse. Woodley was never really an option, they just used his performance as an excuse to justify GSP not fighting him because of the higher risks. I think Bisping is an easier match up for GSP and the UFC wants him as champ again..... and one right hand from Woodley would screw their plans over.
GSP%20Jackson.gif

Thoughts?

I think they were open to multiple options and that they may have tried to get Tyron a highlight reel (Dana's post-fight comments and the unprecedented short notice for Maia) to use that in negotiations against GSP. However, after that shitshow GSP was probably not imprezzed by Woodley's performance.

Bisping is a harder fight than woodley.

And no. This fight has been kicked around since before the Maia fight. But that fight did ruin any interest in GSP vs wood after bisping and whitiker

What's funny is there is a lot of talk about anderson vs Maia being what killed the interest for GSP vs anderson at the time too

Fight killer maia

Bisping is a harder fight than woodley.

And no. This fight has been kicked around since before the Maia fight. But that fight did ruin any interest in GSP vs wood after bisping and whitiker

What's funny is there is a lot of talk about anderson vs Maia being what killed the interest for GSP vs anderson at the time too

Fight killer maia
Well, to be fair, in both fights Maia was the one putting pressure all the time, so imo it´s mostly Woodley and Silva´s fault here.

Nah I think Woodley was in the cards for sure after Bisping fell through but after the boring ass Woodley-Maia fight they didnt want to go that route.

He still might fight him anyway though.

GSP was there at McGregor-Diaz one so that Conor could call out GSP (@170) after winning. Then GSP was to go into the cage and say "I was impressed by your performance" and accept the fight. Once Diaz beat Conor that all went down the toilet and thus Bisping became the opponent of choice for GSP's return (and because it's a move up, the fight has been delayed as long as possible to allow GSP to bulk). If GSP wins (and assuming Conor beats Diaz) then the original plan will be back on and Conor-GSP will be next.

I genuinely believed that GSP vs Woodley was the plan. I don't blame Dana for saying "fuck you" to Woodley and his million dollar GSP fight after he beat Maia

Only on sherdog could facing the MW champ be seen as an easier option than facing the WW champ.

Bisping is the bigger prize, bigger pay day, greater for his list of accomplishments.

All you guys see is the Lawler KO when you see Woodley. If you think GSP is going to go out there and repeat brawlers like Kos or Lawler, you are nuts. Woodley couldn't defend takedowns and fight effectively against Demain Maia. Rory was 100% for TDs on Woodley, and he never got up. Woodley has an incredibly low out put and GSP is a pressure fighter. There is no way GSP looks at Woodley in fear. He see a fighter like every other one on his resume, and a low pay day.

Bisping is the bigger prize, bigger pay day, greater for his list of accomplishments.

All you guys see is the Lawler KO when you see Woodley. If you think GSP is going to go out there and repeat brawlers like Kos or Lawler, you are nuts. Woodley couldn't defend takedowns and fight effectively against Demain Maia. Rory was 100% for TDs on Woodley, and he never got up. Woodley has an incredibly low out put and GSP is a pressure fighter. There is no way GSP looks at Woodley in fear. He see a fighter like every other one on his resume, and a low pay day.
Yeah woodley couldn't defend takedowns against Maia. Hence why he defended 24 out of 24

Imo that was just an excuse. Woodley was never really an option, they just used his performance as an excuse to justify GSP not fighting him because of the higher risks. I think Bisping is an easier match up for GSP and the UFC wants him as champ again..... and one right hand from Woodley would screw their plans over.
GSP%20Jackson.gif

Thoughts?
You hit the nail on the head in my opinion. I thought the same thing. They used the Maia bout as a convenient way to get Woodley out of the conversation.

Ronda gone. Bones gone. Anderson fading. Conor playing boxer.

GSP returns by default.

Instead of cultivating new stars, they bring back an old one.

This was always going to happen. Too much money in it for the UFC to say otherwise.

The thing is Dana knows he can't keep Bisping on the sidelines to wait till the end of the year for GSP... so they do this bullshit "July" date announcement for PR reasons... though GSP wouldn't technically even be cleared by July considering he has to be tested for 4 months before he can fight. Unfortunate for Dana, GSP didn't want to mislead fan and admitted early on that July was impossible.

Earliest would have been August, but then that's when they were doing Conor-Floyd. September was Canelo-GGG. That's 2 big ppv events back to back, they give the public one month to cool down and collect some change before buzzing for GSP-Bisping again in November.

Dana gets to do his Don King story spinning shit- blaming all this on Woodley and throwing the man under the bus despite Woodley defending his belt 3 times against the #1 contender in 1 year. Sucks for Tyron, he was the 1 champ constantly fighting the top contender the division, regardless of the "drawing" aspect of things... regardless of how the styles would have made it for less entertaining fights for him (especially against Maia)... he still said "Maia I respect you, you're next".

Fuck him for that obviously. He should have taken a page from Conor's playbook and handpicked a Diaz for entertainment value.

Bisping and GSP seemed to want the fight, whether the UFC was serious about Woodley I'm not sure.
It was probably just fake controversy to hype the fight and to try and get Woodley to be more exciting/go for a finish in his next for so win/win for the UFC.

This was always going to happen. Too much money in it for the UFC to say otherwise.

The thing is Dana knows he can't keep Bisping on the sidelines to wait till the end of the year for GSP... so they do this bullshit "July" date announcement for PR reasons... though GSP wouldn't technically even be cleared by July considering he has to be tested for 4 months before he can fight. Unfortunate for Dana, GSP didn't want to mislead fan and admitted early on that July was impossible.

Earliest would have been August, but then that's when they were doing Conor-Floyd. September was Canelo-GGG. That's 2 big ppv events back to back, they give the public one month to cool down and collect some change before buzzing for GSP-Bisping again in November.

Dana gets to do his Don King story spinning shit- blaming all this on Woodley and throwing the man under the bus despite Woodley defending his belt 3 times against the #1 contender in 1 year. Sucks for Tyron, he was the 1 champ constantly fighting the top contender the division, regardless of the "drawing" aspect of things... regardless of how the styles would have made it for less entertaining fights for him (especially against Maia)... he still said "Maia I respect you, you're next".

Fuck him for that obviously. He should have taken a page from Conor's playbook and handpicked a Diaz for entertainment value.
great post

The plan was to keep Woodley down, Tyron needs to take a knee.... lol

Back