Does the featherweight division have the most prospects right now in all the UFC?

BjPenn2017

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Do Ho Choi (14-2 3-1 Ufc)
Mirsad Bektic (11-1 4-1 Ufc)
Jared Gordon (13-1 1-0 Ufc)
Jason Knight (20-3 4-2 Ufc)
Arnold Allen (12-1 3-0 Ufc)
Alexander Volkanovski (15-1 2-0 Ufc)
Shane Burgos (10-0 2-0 Ufc)
Jeremy Kennedy (11-0 3-0 Ufc)
Brian Ortega (12-0 1NC Ufc 4-0 1NC)
Zabit Magomedsharipov (13-1 1-0 ufc)
Yair Rodriguez (12-2 6-1 Ufc)

Just looked over the UFC featherweight roster and damn, I can't think of another division in the UFC that has this many exciting prospects. Might have missed a prospect or two, but Pretty sure everyone of these guys is in there mid 20s, average being somewhere around 26. Most of them have wins over solid UFC mainstays on their record already as well. Not to mention Max Holloway the champ of the division, is only 25 years old.

With guys like Frankie, Aldo, Lamas and Swanson getting older, Mendes career up in the air, Conor most likely never returning to the division and Mike Perry being a Welterweight.. I'd say this is a pretty good start to building a solid and exciting next generation of featherweight fighters.

Last edited:
You forgot Jeremy Stephens.

Who da fook is that guy??

He's been around since like ufc 70 something hasn't he? Lol. I don't really consider him a prospect, he hasn't improved in years. Still a good fighter tho and a tough test for any of those guys, I think Stephens could potentially comatose Yair.

Probably. But as far as i can remember this prospects are 0/4 recently against the veterans. Cub beat Choi, Lamas beat the shit of Knight, Elkins stopped Mirsad and Frankie crushed Rodriguez. The only young guy who suceed against the top contenders was Holloway, Ortega although is likely to receive a chance to point for the prospects, i hope he fights Swanson or TKZ next.

Don't forget this guy
AwWqgnV.jpg

Let's not forget the real prospect here, Artem Lobov.

Edit: goddammit too late

Probably. But as far as i can remember this prospects are 0/4 recently against the veterans. Cub beat Choi, Lamas beat the shit of Knight, Elkins stopped Mirsad and Frankie crushed Rodriguez. The only young guy who suceed against the top contenders was Holloway, Ortega although is likely to receive a chance to point for the prospects, i hope he fights Swanson or TKZ next.

Holloway lost alot of fights early on in his career, to lesser competition than most of these guys. Leonard Garcia got robbed against in him in the fight. Lol.

When you look at their losses objectively they still look quite good. Bektic was putting the beat down of the decade on Elkins before the hail mary KO, Choi had FOTY against Swanson, Knight fought a guy who hasn't lost to anyone out of the top 5 in years, Yair fought Frankie who is a former champion in the weight class above and hasn't lost a fight that wasn't for a belt in years. All those guys who lost are also in their mid twenties, plenty of time for them to improve.

Dude, all Aaron Pico had to do was take his head a little bit off the center line, and that left hook he threw would have been the most picture perfect left hook ever. Keep that kid in mind.

Dude, all Aaron Pico had to do was take his head a little bit off the center line, and that left hook he threw would have been the most picture perfect left hook ever. Keep that kid in mind.
I was gonna make a post like "I dunno about the UFC but Aaron Pico is probably the best prospect at 145" but you beat me to it ;)

His wrestling and boxing are next-level.
If he gets to a high level of MMA fight IQ he's gonna be a world beater.

Holloway lost alot of fights early on in his career, to lesser competition than most of these guys. Leonard Garcia got robbed against in him in the fight. Lol.

When you look at their losses objectively they still look quite good. Bektic was putting the beat down of the decade on Elkins before the hail mary KO, Choi had FOTY against Swanson, Knight fought a guy who hasn't lost to anyone out of the top 5 in years, Yair fought Frankie who is a former champion in the weight class above and hasn't lost a fight that wasn't for a belt in years. All those guys who lost are also in their mid twenties, plenty of time for them to improve.
I know, i don't think any of them sucks and i agree they all have a lot of room to improvement, i just think it will take some time until this prospects beats the old guys of 145, above top 5 FW is all monsters.

Back