The 75% pattern. Great fighters usually win 3/4 of their bouts by the time they retire

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
I always love looking at fighters records and comparing the differences. One distinct pattern that I have noticed is that fighters who are at least at a gatekeeper or higher is that they have records with around 75% W/L ratio by the end of their careers.

Benson 24-8
Pettis 20-6
Faber 34-10
Reem 43-15
Lyoto 22-7
Rampage 37-12
Bader 23-5
Lil Nog 22-8
Anderson 34-8
Forrest 19-7
Corey Anderson 9-3
Wanderlei 35-13

Obviously you are going to have some exceptions
Robbie 28-11
Matt Brown 20-16
Hunt 13-11
Mir 18-11
Sylvia 31-10
Arlovski 25-15

Why is this a common theme? As guys come up, of course they are going to be 15-3, 12-2, 18-4, etc, but as they move out of their primes, they tend to rack up losses and makes their record drop below that 75% and as low as 60%

Some guys absolutely slaughter their impressive records in just a few fights. It can be a little painful to see. But at the same time, much better than guys that bail out and don't fight anymore when they could have years still yet to go.

original

great fighters don't know when to hang it up

Some guys absolutely slaughter their impressive records in just a few fights. It can be a little painful to see. But at the same time, much better than guys that bail out and don't fight anymore when they could have years still yet to go.

This. Most great fighters end up taking some unnecessary L's at the end of their career. It's hard to walk away for most of these guys.

That's why I was glad when GSP retired on a winning streak, as few people get to do that. I hope he still gets to do that this time around.

Back