Do UFC fighters cut more weight than regional fighters?

shercatdog

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Would you say UFC fighters cut more weight than local regional fighters?

Is it the same across all the weight classes except heavyweight?

Or are the huge weight cutters mainly in 155 and 170?

Given the gap between 155 to 170 and 170 to 185, and lightweight and welterweight being one of the most stacked divisions?

Last edited:
It's the day of the weigh in, the UFC have the weigh in one day before the fight day

I used to think so, but I was wrong. An up and comer at my gym just had his 3rd amateur fight and he cuts from 195 lean to fight at 170. He's 19 yo and aspires to be a full time pro, so he's probably more motivated than most. Another guy at my gym who fought 185 on the same card ammy only cut 5 lbs but the guy he fought looked like a 205'er.

Edit: ammy circuit in my area is day ahead weigh-ins

When I fought (and yes it was way back like when dinosaurs roamed) regional mma didn't have enough of a talent pool for people to pick a weight and always fight there.

There would be a fight coming up, you'd find out here was a spot at x weight and you tried to make it happen if you thought you could.

Also weight cutting technique and support for most regional fights back the. Was way behind now.

So no most guys didn't have the weight cutting down and still don't from local fights I've gone to watch recently.

My roommate was a wrestler and helped me with my cuts as he knew a lot about it fornthe time.

I walked in shape consitatly around 210-15 and got up to 225 ish occasionally , mainly did 205 and tried 185 once.

With only my roommate helping I missed and came in at 190 and was drained. Didn't do to well. Lost a slow boring decision.

That was one of my last. Most fights back then had same day weigh ins and you only had a couple hours to cut and rehydrate. Big difference.

When I lived in Thailand and fought I was always at hw if they had that spot on the card, but i loved me some damn worlds best chicken and tiger then too. And mainly only had like a days notice(hey so and so can't make the card for etc reason, want in on it? Scenarios)

Back