Greater Legacy: Gomi or Sakuraba?

superpunch

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I choose Gomi.

Saku is close but he never reached the pinnacle of the sport. Saku may have done more memorable things. But he was never a champion. He was never no. 1 in the world. Never the best. Gomi, on the other hand, was the best. That's the difference maker.

Gomi with his belts

TakanoriGomi_BeltsBushido10Press.jpg

Gomi drinking a beer

gomi-drunk-better-o.gif

Saku drinking piss

DSC_0058.jpg

Saku beat better competition, but Gomi was a champion.

In the words of Nick Bakay.....push.

Saku easily. No disrespect to Gomi.

Saku for sure.

Also victim of Big John's biggest fuck up

Sakuraba is a legend, an unique character and fighter.

Gomi was the champion of weak division composed of what, 10-15 fighter?
Sakuraba won a UFC tournament submitting Conan Silveira, that alone is crazy.

Big fan of both guys, although I would say Sakuraba. Anyone who's actually followed the sport since the 90s (or at least gone so far as to educate themselves on it) should agree that Sakuraba dominating the Gracies following the first few UFC events was a renowned accomplishment, and much more significant than being a champion in some organization at some time.

Also, I'm sorry, but Gomi was never truly #1, in my opinion. BJ was always the best at that time, and Gomi lost convincingly in his prime to Marcus Aurelio in a fight which ludicrously wasn't for the Pride strap.

Nonetheless, two great fighters, but in my mind, Sakuraba is a "mount Rushmore" level fighter and a legend of the sport, above almost anyone else.

Gomi was an amazing fighter, but Sakuraba is just something else.

I thought Pride has most of the best lightweights back then. The UFC had Sherk and Franca. Penn was out for a long time and fighting GSP and Hughes. Back then before Hughes lost to GSP, Gomi/Hughes was a dream fight for a lot of people. They were the most dominant in their divisions at that time.

Autism, it's real

I think Gomi is the best lightweight fighter of all time.

Saku has better legendary legacy

That's a great question. When you say "legacy", I think you have to go with Sakuraba, because the LEGEND of Sakuraba is one of the biggest in the entire sport with some of the things he was able to accomplish. But Gomi, comparatively, was a better fighter imo at his absolute best and he definitely makes this question an interesting one.

Saku. Don't get me wrong gomi is a legend for a reason to but he kind of tarnished it by not giving a fuck and just fighting for a pay check once he got to the UFC

I find this question insulting....

It's like asking who has a greater legacy. Mike Jordan, or Patrick Ewing....

Saku, easily. Motivated Gomi may be the lightweight GOAT, but what Saku did at the time was absolutely crazy. I also think Saku had a much larger influence on the growth of the sport as a whole, where as Gomi was just a (admittedly really great) fighter.

I think Gomi is the best lightweight fighter of all time.

Saku has better legendary legacy
You can't say Gomi was a better LW than Penn. BJ beat him handily in his prime and has a better resume. Saying Gomi is the best LW ever is just dumb.

Saku. Respect Gomi even though I don't like the way he has carried himself at times, however it has to be Saku, he may not be a 'goat' to some but to ALL he is a fucking legend

Back