So did Okami lose on purpose?

explodingbunny

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Why did he make such a horrible takedown attempt like that against a guy who was probably 20 or more lbs. heavier? I don't ever remember seeing Okami be that dumb in a fight. Seems weird to me. I dunno.

Maybe he took the fight vs OSP for the opportunity to get back in the UFC and wanted to make sure he got out of the fight without getting hurt?

Last edited:
Probably was garanteed another fight at Middleweight if he took that fight on short notice.

He played that one safe.

No need to get Ko'b by a Bigger Guy like OSP

Was a great sub tho

Probably was garanteed another fight at Middleweight if he took that fight on short notice.

He played that one safe.

No need to get Ko'b by a Bigger Guy like OSP

Was a great sub tho

Oh yea and then Okami wraps his arm around OSPs head for no reason justgiving OSP the perfect opportunity to choke him out. Like I said, I don't ever remember Okami having such low IQ in a fight

He can either strike with OSP and literally die

Or he can try to grapple and maybe have half a chance. Or at least get subbed and pick up an easy, pain free paycheck.

I think it was the logical choice. And I don't think he chose to lose -- I don't think he had any choice. That was such a brootal mismatch.

Last edited:
Why did he make such a horrible takedown attempt like that against a guy who was probably 20 or more lbs. heavier? I don't ever remember seeing Okami be that dumb in a fight. Seems weird to me. I dunno.

Maybe he took the fight vs OSP for the opportunity to get back in the UFC and wanted to make sure he got out of the fight without getting hurt?
I think he preferred to grapple, even from bottom, rather than strike. It looked like he anticipated the sprawl and went to pull guard but did not anticipate to be immediately caught in a terrible position and choked

I wouldn't say he lost on purpose as much as I'd say he didn't get KTFO on purpos

He can either strike with OSP and literally die

Or he can try to grapple and maybe have half a chance. Or at least get subbed and pick up and easy, pain free paycheck.

I think it was the logical choice. And I don't think he chose to lose -- I don't think he had any choice. That was such a brootal mismatch.

I think he preferred to grapple, even from bottom, rather than strike. It looked like he anticipated the sprawl and went to pull guard but did not anticipate to be immediately caught in a terrible position and choked

I agree but the Okami I remember was always more of a patient fighter and waited for good opportunities in fights. He wouldn't just stupidly shoot for a takedown like that. Maybe my memories are wrong or maybe he's changed. I dunno I haven't seen his fights since he left the UFC

You might have a point. I think he did and should be cut again. That main event was pointless.

I agree but the Okami I remember was always more of a patient fighter and waited for good opportunities in fights. He wouldn't just stupidly shoot for a takedown like that. Maybe my memories are wrong or maybe he's changed. I dunno I haven't seen his fights since he left the UFC

Yushin is now 36 years old and has been fighting professionally for 15 years, since 2002.

To say he's out of his prime is an understatement. He continued to lose immediately after being scuttled from the UFC and fought at welterweight several times. Recently he's been fighting cans, which is an appropriate level if he wants to keep doing this for a living.

Booking Yushin to fight a top 10 light heavyweight was dangerous and stupid. This sort of thing should never have been sanctioned.

We are all very lucky he just got put away quickly with a choke instead of getting seriously hurt.

Shame on the UFC.

He made some key errors but I don't think he threw the fight. I think nerves got the best of him. I was rooting for him even though it was such an uphill battle. Moving up two weight classes on one week's notice is no joke.

I would say he likely wanted to try and catch OSP by surprise. He has OSP elevated pretty well but at the end of the day OSP had more than enough of a base to stay on top of Yushin and he got the sub.

No I'm pretty sure he was just intimidated and collapsed under pressure

What were people expecting to happen?

He made some key errors but I don't think he threw the fight. I think nerves got the best of him. I was rooting for him even though it was such an uphill battle. Moving up two weight classes on one week's notice is no joke.
He moved up one weight class.

He's a big, strong dude but he's no LHW. Never has been in his career. He was coming in short notice and he was fighting a guy who is dangerous a big f'n dude at 6'3. OSP is no world beater but he's dynamic and has power. I think what you saw was Okami looking for a desperation takedown off the bat because he didn't want to get clocked standing.

Whatever bro, everyone expected it to be a mismatch, let's give Okami a last chance at his weight.

Back