Why does the UFC have a weight limit for the HEAVIES? WTH?

BringBackTRTforFairness

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

It means we dont get to see who the best guy is, if guys like Lesnar, Tim Silvia, semi schilt, hunto etc are allowed to mass up to 350 plus they gain a whole new level of prowess sometimes, not always but I think a 300 lb hunto is better than the 250lb hunto I mean just his mass gives him great TDD

Anyway it might be that it makes no difference and huge guys are no good but not every huge guy is like hong man choi, some are skillful and potent

Its not fair that naturally MASSIVE guys have to cut down, they should be allowed to bulk up if it wins them fights.

There should be a SUPERheavyweight division as well, where mo-foz can balloon up to 1,000 lbs

six-hundred-800.jpg

While I don't think these guys would get any performance bonus from being heavier, it is kind of idiotic that there's a weight limit in their heaviest weight class.

With that said, almost all of the top HWs are a lot lighter than the limit.

Last edited:
UFC doesn't set weight limits - it is up to athletic commission, no?

Because the fighters over 265 are terrible?

They should remove the upper limit though Nikolai Valuev is 7ft tall and 320 lbs and the heaviest heavyweight boxing world champion, his last fight was getting beaten by the former cruiserweight David Haye.

When the UFC instituted their weightclasses, Olympic wrestling had a weight ceiling of 265.

Heavyweight limit should be raised to 300 perhaps?

But its tough to find guys who can avoid the diminishing returns.

I agree, just remove the stupid 265 cap. Its nonsense. No other combat sports do this. in boxing and kickboxing HW's can weigh whatever they like. Butterbean was IBA HW champ for a long time and was on like a 60 fight win streak at 400 Ibs range, you can't get that in UFC because of that dumb cap. They should remove it.

Shit, my phone's autocorrect can't speak english
It's ok during the last fight night my phone auto corrected at least 20 different posts praising "like cockhold"

EDIT: SHIT DID IT AGAIN!!!.....LUKE ROCKHOLD

Last edited:
its for fighter safety....most people are morbidly obese any heavier than 265....

even roided up 265lb gorillas are a heart attack risk.....

your heart doesnt care if youre 300lbs of fat or muscle.....youre 300lbs!

For people close to 7 feet the 265 limit is an obstacle but for most fighters it isn't. I say just make it 300 to be fair to everyone.

I agree, just remove the stupid 265 cap. Its nonsense. No other combat sports do this. in boxing and kickboxing HW's can weigh whatever they like. Butterbean was IBA HW champ for a long time and was on like a 60 fight win streak at 400 Ibs range, you can't get that in UFC because of that dumb cap. They should remove it.
There was still a 400 pound limit that he had to do a weight cut for....hence the name butterbean (he subsided on chicken and butterbean for the diet)

The Performance boners of the night should be bigger if there was no heavyweight cap
angry-kid-screaming-gifs-of-wrestling-fans-being-wrestling-fans.gif

For people close to 7 feet the 265 limit is an obstacle but for most fighters it isn't. I say just make it 300 to be fair to everyone.

Thats not every1, maybe one time there will be a skillful athletic 500lb man and he could be the best in the world but he cant even try out, thats ridiculous. It should be a genuine search for the best guy on the plannet and you need a fair test to see who that is, cutting out the biggest men is not a fair experiment, also 265 is rediculous as the 300 pound men can gain an extra advantage by bulking up not cutting down, Lesnar Carwin Schilt etc would probably get an advantage with 50 extra pounds to expand on their already very dominant size and weight advantage on most guys, make it even more of an obsticle for their opponent some big guys can carry that extra without much fuss guys like Hunto can.

sylvia-arlovski.jpg

Think of the advantage guys like Silvia could get esp for takedowns and top position, same with big foot he'd have become even more potent

Its not fair on the big guys, its not fair on the sport because the best guys might not be winning the titles because of the silly artificial weight limit

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back