In the age of USADA, is it time for 3 minute rounds?

In USADA era, what round length makes sense?

• Total voters

trident

Water Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
An MMA fight, at five rounds each, is a serious mother fucker to get through.

No doubt some of the roster can compete in this time frame naturally, but the shear challenge of making it through these rounds is not something most can do well.

That demand makes PEDS attractive. It's not the only factor of course, but it is a remarkable challenge.

Fighters pace these rounds a lot. Often we get slower paced five minute rounds.

Would 3 minute rounds increase the pace of the fight? Would this be a more realistic time limit?

I would rather watch intense three minute rounds then boring paced out five minute rounds.

I think it could increase the urgency of the fight. It could push top control fighters to be more aggressive.

Referees could have more leniency on non-action and timidity.

This could cut down on late fight sloppiness where you have two exhausted fighters fighting like zombies.

It would streamline the fights, bring the walls in, so to speak, and push the urgency and pace.

It's also a more realistic framework if everyone is determined to get PEDS out of competition.

No. Might be time for some guys to move up in weight so that they aren't exhausted from the cut going in though.

10 minute 1st round followed by two 5 minute rounds.
Championship fights should be two 10 minute rounds followed by three 5 minute rounds

10 minute 1st round followed by two 5 minute rounds.
Championship fights should be two 10 minute rounds followed by three 5 minute rounds

35 mins of MMA dude? Just bleed!

Where's the logic here? There isn't any just mention USADA and then something which makes no sense at all.
Fighters are usually popped for roids and not EPO or other drugs associated with stamina so if anything 3 minute rounds encourage roid use as athletes with more muscle will get more rest.
The reasoning between 5 minute rounds is grappling and subs. Kickboxing already exists and has 3 minute rounds.

35 mins of MMA dude? Just bleed!

Why not back in the old days of boxing the fights didn't last 12 rounds they continued until a winner prevailed. A 35 minute championship MMA fight more than likely would produce a clear cut winner.

With 3 min rounds you've basically got a kickboxing fight.......would reduce submission finishes

3 minutes round kills the submission game. It becomes kickboxing with stalling takedowns.

2 rounds, each 5 minutes.

Audience votes on if they want the fight to go to a third round. That way we don't have to sit through the 3rd round of boring fights, and there would be so many draws that it would motivate fighters to finish their opponents.

<{ohyeah}>

1 ten minute round and then two 3 minute rounds.

1st round favours the grappler to an extent, 3 minute rounds favour striking. its balanced.

I'm fine with the rounds as they are, to be honest.

Why not back in the old days of boxing the fights didn't last 12 rounds they continued until a winner prevailed. A 35 minute championship MMA fight more than likely would produce a clear cut winner.
More likely it would result in both fighters gassing completely.

id like to see it tested

youd basically win a rpund with 1 takedown but it would also be less time to work a sub

but in the cte era maybe we need to favor wrestlers again

Let's just turn the whole thing into amateur low level boxing. 3 rounds of 3 minutes, no grappling, no kicks, elbows and knees.

I like a ten minute first round. Feels more like a real fight and allows things to play out.

Has nothing to do with USADA, and there's no reason to change anything. I wouldn't object to 2 minutes between rounds however.

Back