Luke Rockhold vs Gustafsson

Fadetoblack918

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
If Luke were to go up to LHW, lets say he fights Gus. Who takes it?

Good striker would TKO fighter with bad striking defense... unless Luke takes Gus down and beats him up there and subs him.

Both have shit striking defense.

Gus better hands.

Luke better kicks.

Alexander KO's Luke into retirement.

Doubt Rockhold can take Gus down
Gus has good boxing, decent in the clinch throws a lotta knees
Id say Gus by close decision, can't believe everyone's underestimating Luke, he's obnoxious af but he can fight

Thinking about it is kind of funny in sense that when Rockhold was in Strikeforce and Gus was a newbie in UFC I think Rockhold would take it.

In this present day, Gus would very much likely put Rockhold to sleep.

Doubt Rockhold can take Gus down
Gus has good boxing, decent in the clinch throws a lotta knees
Id say Gus by close decision, can't believe everyone's underestimating Luke, he's obnoxious af but he can fight

Got knocked out by Bisping and nearly TKO'd by David Branch. No one is underestimating him but it's clear that Luke has some of the worst striking defense for a top level fighter. Add in the fact that he has no chin, and I'd take a guy who can box and is bigger, stronger and lankier than him.

DC couldn't do shit to Gus with his wrestling, either could Jones. Even though Luke has 3 legs, I don't think he would be able to do much in the grappling department.

Gus by rape. Rockhold has a huge size advantage over everyone at middleweight when he gets them down. He won't have that if he somehow miraculously gets him down against the cage in the clinch. Gus could probably take down rockhold without much trouble. He took down D.C. and Jones. Gus has the striking and arguably grappling advantage in this fight.

Let's see...

- Jones could not keep Gus down
- Luke is a far worse wrestler than roided Jones

- Gus is a great striker with power
- Luke was getting tagged by Branch

- Luke relies on his range for striking
- Gus towers over Luke and is longer

gus easily.

luke cant stand with strikers. he needs to take them down.

Big Rockhold fan ...Gus is too much for him in the boxing department and I doubt Luke gets him to the ground , would be a fun one though .

Also lets not forget Gus's supreme footwork vs Rockhold's non existent footwork hehe

Rockhold has nothing for Gus besides his kicks. Gus by TKO or dominant UD.

Ruinous matchup for Rockhold.

No size advantage, doubtful speed advantage, no wrestling advantage and monster chin and boxing disadvantage.

Also lets not forget Gus's supreme footwork vs Rockhold's non existent footwork hehe

LOL @ "supreme footwork." He's constantly off balance and literally turns his back and runs away when he gets pressured or hit hard.

He also consistently uses the same extended palm technique that Jones did to create distance without ever getting any shit for it even though he has just as many eyepokes in fights as Jones.

The fact that he's considered to be an elite level striker shows poor the level of skill in this sport is.

That said, he'd tool Rockhold. I don't see Rockhold being able to handle pressure from a larger man, and Luke wouldn't be able to use his most effective weapons on the ground. If DC and Jones had trouble taking Gustafsson down, there's no way that Rockhold does.

If Luke were to go up to LHW, lets say he fights Gus. Who takes it?
It's funny you say Rockhold vs Gustafsson because once Rockhold said he would go up to LHW, Gus was the 1st one to come to mind. Luke, you're a big fish in a medium sized pond, you don't want to fuck with those sharks up in LHW. You have the size advantage at MW, just let it be.

Gustafsson
Oezdemir
Manuwa
Teixeira
OSP

Wow I don't really like Rockhold but even I don't wanna see this fight for his sake. Alexander would wreck him

Rockhold is weak to boxing. That's Gus's strong point. And Rockhold isn't going to be able to take someone down who is bigger than him and stuffed Jon Jones either.

Back