UFC cut Okami for no reason, and then brought him back to headline

Queen B

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
image.jpg

Well no... they brought him back out of desperation.

It could be said that Dana played a hand in that, and that's probable, but I'd think Joe Silva had a lot to do with it.

did they give him a new contract or is this a one-off fight to save a card?

205 is so fucking sad they had to bring Okami lol

UFC 217: St-Pierre vs Shields II incoming

It could be said that Dana played a hand in that, and that's probable, but I'd think Joe Silva had a lot to do with it.
if anything, the new leadership would be quicker to fire the likes of Okami, Fitch and Shields (the holy blanket trinity).

When asked via Twitter why he released Okami, UFC President Dana White remarked "Our roster is packed." When asked by Yahoo Sports why he was releasing a highly ranked fighter who had won three of his last four bouts, White responded: "He was always a tough guy and was right up there, but it's almost like he'd become a gatekeeper. I like Okami, and you've heard me say this many times, that a win over Yushin Okami meant something ... But he was never able to get over the hump and win one of those [significant] fights. We have a lot of guys coming in and I've been saying this all year: We have a full roster and there are guys who deserve opportunities. When you bring guys in, someone has to go. That's why these fights are so meaningful."

So, that's why according to wiki. And they only brought him back for this card because he didn't need to get a Japanese visa on a week's notice to save the card.

if anything, the new leadership would be quicker to fire the likes of Okami, Fitch and Shields (the holy blanket trinity).
True. Maybe they don't understand what they've done?

When asked via Twitter why he released Okami, UFC President Dana White remarked "Our roster is packed." When asked by Yahoo Sports why he was releasing a highly ranked fighter who had won three of his last four bouts, White responded: "He was always a tough guy and was right up there, but it's almost like he'd become a gatekeeper. I like Okami, and you've heard me say this many times, that a win over Yushin Okami meant something ... But he was never able to get over the hump and win one of those [significant] fights. We have a lot of guys coming in and I've been saying this all year: We have a full roster and there are guys who deserve opportunities. When you bring guys in, someone has to go. That's why these fights are so meaningful.

So, that's why according to wiki. And they only brought him back for this card because he didn't need to get a Japanese visa on a week's notice to save the card.

I hope Okami is getting some big $$ out of WME for saving this card.

I hope Okami is getting some big $$ out of WME for saving this card.
Sad thing is, we will never know. They don't have to report salaries from cards in Japan.

Young highly ranked 205lb contender OSP vs old unranked former WSOF welterweight title Challenger Okami and the sad part is that Okami has a decent chance.

Why is that?
Stateside commissions can request the public disclosure of fight purses, but the disclosure is only required in states that specifically request them. States like New York and several others (Kentucky? Tennessee? And others I can't remember) don't care. And outside of the states, the UFC is bound by a country's athletic commission if the country has one, and if they don't, they can act as their own commission (which includes ref choice, judges, etc). They had some controversy in Macau when Dana benched a judge during an event because that judge screwed up two fights in a row.

They get regional cans literally every place they go to get the crowd cheering for their people, complete with favorable match ups and home town cooking refs/judging. Idky this card would be any different.

Hold on, so Okami gets a fight and will get paid....what are we crying about again????

This is some LifetimeTV movie melodrama crybaby ass shit.

We can only hope the man is getting paid well...

Back