Fighter Badly Misses Weight at UFC Japan Weigh-Ins, Stumbles off Scale

TheHNICuLuv2Hate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Ahead of the promotion’s most recent attendance in Japan, to be headlined by a fairly uninteresting fight between Ovince Saint Preux and a returning Yushin Okami, drama unfolded on the scale.

Featherweight Mizuto Hirota, 1-3-1 in the UFC, arrived as the last to weigh in among athletes slated for the card and looked off from the moment he appeared from behind the curtain. Swaying slightly as he met the public, he shuffled to the scale and climbed on.

150 pounds.

It was an egregious miss in its own right, four pounds above the non-title featherweight limit, but it got worse from there.

Hirota, badly drained and looking a little aloof, resignedly took a second to ponder his miss before making a move to exit the scale. When he did, he quite evidently became temporarily overwhelmed and stumbled from the scale, saved from falling only by a pair of UFC overseers who caught him.

Hirota is the most recent example, coming but a few weeks after Ray Borg was pulled from a title fight due to complications arising during his weight cut and after superstar Paige VanZant announced moving up in weight after passing out cutting to 115 pounds.

Adding insult to injury, Hirota will forfeit 30 percent of his purse to his opponent. Check out video of his weigh-in below.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ght-at-ufc-japan-weigh-ins-stumbles-off-scale

Mizuto Hirota is off the card.

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/9/...n-for-health-reasons-following-scary-weigh-in

Last edited:
Wow, that was a bad one.

he's just faking that shit to make it look like he really tried

These guys are killing themselves for peanuts

Permanently injuring your internal organs and risking losing your UFC career over missed weight, just so you can avoid fighting a slightly larger fighter who might very likely be drained and still recovering from his own weight-cut

Never really saw the logic in that

Jesus thats scary, the fight should be pulled.

Probably wont be since there is no real commission in Japan.

but guys are hurting there career insisting on cutting as much as possible. Its to the point i dont feel really bad for them anymore and i know its only a matter of time before someone's body really doesnt react well and something really serious happens in the UFC.

That dude would've been cancelled out by the doctors if he did that in Vegas.

Ahead of the promotion’s most recent attendance in Japan, to be headlined by a fairly uninteresting fight between Ovince Saint Preux and a returning Yushin Okami, drama unfolded on the scale.

Featherweight Mizuto Hirota, 1-3-1 in the UFC, arrived as the last to weigh in among athletes slated for the card and looked off from the moment he appeared from behind the curtain. Swaying slightly as he met the public, he shuffled to the scale and climbed on.

150 pounds.

It was an egregious miss in its own right, four pounds above the non-title featherweight limit, but it got worse from there.

Hirota, badly drained and looking a little aloof, resignedly took a second to ponder his miss before making a move to exit the scale. When he did, he quite evidently became temporarily overwhelmed and stumbled from the scale, saved from falling only by a pair of UFC overseers who caught him.

Hirota is the most recent example, coming but a few weeks after Ray Borg was pulled from a title fight due to complications arising during his weight cut and after superstar Paige VanZant announced moving up in weight after passing out cutting to 115 pounds.

Adding insult to injury, Hirota will forfeit 30 percent of his purse to his opponent. Check out video of his weigh-in below.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ght-at-ufc-japan-weigh-ins-stumbles-off-scale

Wasn't Ray Borg a viral issue?

Permanently injuring your internal organs and risking losing your UFC career over missed weight, just so you can avoid fighting a slightly larger fighter who might very likely be drained and still recovering from his own weight-cut

I don't disagree that weight cutting is dangerous but have you ever competed in combat vs someone who is equally skilled and bigger? It's not a good combo plus a lot of guys do it properly and are recovered by fight day.

i agree totally. Spend more time training technique and pushing your cardio and not counting calories and feeling hungry for weeks tryin to grind thru training and you havnt even started cutting weight yet.

and ask anyone who has ever had to cut weight multiple times. They always dont go easy peezy and sometimes your body just doesnt want to get with the program.

I don't disagree that weight cutting is dangerous but have you ever competed in combat vs someone who is equally skilled and bigger? It's not a good combo plus a lot of guys do it properly and are recovered by fight day.
If this guy is nearly killing himself to cut weight, then him fighting fully hydrated and not as dieted-down at his normal weight probably wouldn't result in that much of a weight difference. And if you're worried about a weight disadvantage, you can always gain some lean muscle mass and then just cut a smaller reasonable amount of weight at the higher (natural) weight class. Then hey guess what you have more time and energy to actually work on your skills and prepare for your opponent

I have a theory that it's not about being outweighed; I believe most fighters cut weight in order to (a) either gain a reach advantage at a lower weight or avoid a reach disadvantage at their natural weight, or to (b) mitigate a lack of power or chin that would disadvantage them at their natural weight class

Last edited:
Awesome, we might get to see the first death before, during , or after a UFC fight. At least i think it would be the first. I am being sarcastic btw.

Why the hell is he still in the UFC with a record of 1-3-1??

That was fugly somebody is gonna die just in order to gain a size advantage that may not help you in the first place, fight at a weight you're not killing yourself to drop down to.

Back