Steroids improving training

Beta Wolf

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Many athletes have attested to the fact that steroids improve endurance and aid recovery in training. Not only do you put on more muscle for doing the same squat, you can increase the average number of squats you do (increase the number of reps). Being able to work more frequently and for longer hours during training or the off-season is often cited as one of the main incentives for PED use by athletes.

However, training isn't only used for getting stronger and faster, or improving cardio. Training is the primary means of improving skill; if you're able to train more hours in a day, or more days in a week, practicing techniques beyond the point where your body would normally be exhausted, you're obviously going to get better at executing moves in a combat or sport situation. Athletes who've used PEDs have said as much.

So it's not entirely true that PEDs don't improve skill. They can, to a certain extent.

giphy.gif

The "PE" in PED's stands for "Performance Enhancing"

Lol, OK. I mean, actual fighters who've used PEDs have said as much (they would practice the same kick over and over again for longer hours, or whatever it was). Lot of Jones fans out tonight, huh?For the record, I'm not saying PEDs would have an enormous impact on skill, not to the extent it has on strength, anyway.

And to the nuthuggers, I wasn't targeting Jones, who by various reports is probably too lazy to have benefited from this effect, anyway. But if you're seriously saying that a given fighter uses PEDs to improve stamina, recover from injuries, etc., and as a result he trains 6 hours a day instead of 4, practicing his techniques (or even 4 hours and 30 minutes instead of 4), yet there's NO difference whatsoever in how well he performs those techniques, that's retarded. Why do fighters even train, then?

Many athletes have attested to the fact that steroids improve endurance and aid recovery in training. Not only do you put on more muscle for doing the same squat, you can increase the average number of squats you do (increase the number of reps). Being able to work more frequently and for longer hours during training or the off-season is often cited as one of the main incentives for PED use by athletes.

However, training isn't only used for getting stronger and faster, or improving cardio. Training is the primary means of improving skill; if you're able to train more hours in a day, or more days in a week, practicing techniques beyond the point where your body would normally be exhausted, you're obviously going to get better at executing moves in a combat or sport situation. Athletes who've used PEDs have said as much.

So it's not entirely true that PEDs don't improve skill. They can, to a certain extent.
I mean, duh. The most obvious benefit of steroids is that you can continue gaining muscle while working on cardio and endurance, which is extremely hard to upkeep when you aren't using PEDs. It's why you see cardio machines like the Diaz brothers, Cain, etc not being insanely jacked, whereas Hector Lombard post-PEDs is wheezing after throwing two punches, yet before PEDs he was keeping pace with a cardio machine like Shlemenko (who we later learned also used PEDs at one point).

I think the point people make is that these guys are top tier, gifted athletes who are just about as skilled as they're ever going to be, barring some minor improvements. Having the ability to train a little bit longer isn't going to create this giant skill gap when these guys are already the top of the top. Think of it like those stat allowances in sport video games, where the athlete is ranked for speed, power, etc on a 1-100 scale, 100 being their absolute max possible for their body. Take someone like Jones, who's like a 90-99 in almost everything, from physical ability to technical ability, even without PEDs; are those couple points going to really make that much of a difference against someone else on a similar level? There's a difference between that and a guy who's pretty well skilled technically, like a 75, but has shit for athleticism, like a 40-50. Give that guy PEDs and his physical attributes are going to shoot up to 80+ for an immense gain in athleticism, and a few minor gains in technical ability. The overall physical gain that guy gets is immensely more important than the minimal skill gain he might get.

I know the analogy is a little contrived, I can't think of a better way to describe it though. The skills allotted from a little bit of extra training are very minimal; it's more the ability of PEDs to allow an average athletic guy to perform, at least physically, at a professional level. It doesn't make them as skilled as elite professionals, however, and the only reason you see these tops guys using them is because they are so dedicated to. and obsessed with, winning that they'll risk anything for even a tiny advantage. It's not really the actual benefits, but their insane winning mentality.

Well articulated Captain Obvious.

Wait, so performance enhancing drugs can enhance performance?

It's true.

It might seem obvious but most here seem to have no clue what PED's actually do and why they're beneficial to a martial artist beyond strength / endurance gains.

In other breaking news..... water is wet!!!!

I guess I learned something new today .I always figured PED's was short for performance enhancing dogs.

IDK why you guys are ganging up on this dude...there are a lot of people saying "steroids dont make you a better fighter" bullshit and he addressed that.

Basically we should all take steroids.

IDK why you guys are ganging up on this dude...there are a lot of people saying "steroids dont make you a better fighter" bullshit and he addressed that.

True, but they are so stupid its best to just ignore them

Back