Rory MacDonald vs. Ben Askren: who'd win?

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
If these two welterweights ever clashed who do you think would win and how would it end?

Rory - by referee stoppage due to strikes

Probably Rory, due to a much more complete skill-set, but Askrens wrestling can give anyone problems. He's up there with Khabib in terms of wrestling.

Askren doesn't gas like Maia and has the best scrambles in the game.

askren via submission, rory falls asleep from boredom/comfort after being cuddled for ~12 straight minutes.

hqdefault.jpg

Yeah but those attributes have been shown against MUCH lower competition than guys like rory or maia. We don't know how Askren would do against top caliber ww's because he hasn't fought any. Anybody can look like a beast when fighting cans.

I'm picking The Funk (surprise surprise). When I visualize the fight it seems like a difficult challenge for Askren; but the fact that Askren called Rory out and agreed to get paid zero dollars and quit the UFC if he lost to Rory leads me to believe that Askren sees holes in Rory's well rounded game.

Askren could have played it safe and called out Matt Brown or Carlos Condit; but he called out Rory and I think Askren is too smart to call out a guy he can't defeat with that high of stakes.

Ben wins by stoppage midway through the third. Rory wins first round

Rory would sprawl and piece askren up.

Maia got him done in the first round and again in the 3rd (although was too tired to keep him there). Watch Askrens takedown vs Lima. It was very Maia-like in that he took a bad shot just to work a roll from underneath.

Maia has the better submission game but Ben has the better gas tank and likely better takedowns than Maia.

Yeah but those attributes have been shown against MUCH lower competition than guys like rory or maia. We don't know how Askren would do against top caliber ww's because he hasn't fought any. Anybody can look like a beast when fighting cans.

He was fine after 5 rounds of dominating Lima and Koreshkov.

It would look like rounf 1 of Maia-Rory
but for all 5. Maia is known for weak cardio; he could barely stand in round 3 against Laflare.

Back