When Did Jon Jones Start Using Steroids? (Chuck Liddell Explains)

When do you think Jones started using steroids?

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
hqdefault.jpg

“He’s his own worst enemy,” Liddell said Monday on a special 400th edition of The MMA Hour. “And he was such a great fighter, I don’t know why he decided — it seemed like he decided in his offseason that one time to start using steroids. And obviously he’s got his time in court, I guess, still. I don’t know. But it seems real obvious with his increase in size and stuff. But I don’t know that he needed that, and it just seemed like he got maybe around the wrong people, got around the wrong ideas, and decided he wanted to (use PEDs), and now he’s gotten caught. It’s sad.

. . .

While Liddell noted that Jones is still deserving of his due process in the matter, he also sounded unsurprised by Jones’ alleged PED use.

Without mentioning specific dates, Liddell seemed to speculate that Jones first started using banned substances in the year he spent sidelined from the sport between 2015-16, during which Jones adopted a new weight training regime and dramatically increased the muscle mass on his 6’4” frame. In July 2016, before his second fight back from suspension at, Jones tested positive for two banned substances — clomiphene and letrozole — which led to his first USADA run-in.

“It looked like there was a huge change in a short period of time, that one break he took,” Liddell said. “It seemed like he grew a lot over that time. So, I don’t know. I seem to think that’s when it started, but I don’t know. He hasn’t come out and said anything. It’s another tainted supplement (for UFC 214), right? So I don’t know. He gets his time in court, we’ll see what happens with that too.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/9/...-wonders-if-jones-got-around-the-wrong-people

Last edited:
I think Chuck's probably right

Chuck always knew because Jones had that look in his eye.

Chuck knows what he's talking about.

The original cocaine snorting, hooker smashing, eye poking LHW badass

I take it chuck had no comment on Jon's use of cocaine?

Liddell via swarming KO if these two ever fought, IMO.

Side note, if dc could close the distance and repeatedly find Jons chin, prime chuck would have a legitimate shot at knocking Jones out

Liddell via swarming KO if these two ever fought, IMO.

If you mean he tries to swarm and get KO'd by a Jones standing elbow...or Jones trips him and elbows him to submission, then I agree.

Chuck was a good fighter, but was fortunate to fight grapplers who lacked the TDs or well-roundedness of Jones and Cormier. He couldn't beat Rampage, and would get destroyed by Jones.

Most people who take PEDs 'cycle'. They don't live on the stuff 24/7. You can see how unimpressive Jon looks off the sauce.

jon-jones-nov-19-instagram.0.0.jpg

v75stu.jpg

BPRGvvhCIAEvKft.jpg

I also believe he could start taking some shit when he was powerlifting that 600 lbs

It wouldn't be the first time Jon tried to gain some kind of advantage over his opponents with dirty stuff. Eye pokes weren't accidental, kicks to the knees weren't accidental, that arm twist on Glover wasn't accidental, three failed tests aren't accidental.

I know the knees and the glover stuff weren't illegal, but it goes to show how he will do ANYTHING for an advantage.

It was right after the Stephan Bonnar fight. - He went from decisions to destroying people.

If you mean he tries to swarm and get KO'd by a Jones standing elbow...or Jones trips him and elbows him to submission, then I agree.

Chuck was a good fighter, but was fortunate to fight grapplers who lacked the TDs or well-roundedness of Jones and Cormier. He couldn't beat Rampage, and would get destroyed by Jones.
Rampage just had Liddell's number, and his chin was on its way out anyway.

But Liddell's a bad matchup with Jones, who historically has had issues with guys he doesn't have a huge size / reach advantage over (IE: Gustafsson, Saint-Preux).

I think Liddell stays on the outside, eats a few jabs and oblique kicks, but eventually catches Jones with an overhand right, puts him against the cage, and tees off until the referee stoppage.

Not unlike old man Couture pulling off the win against then-unbeatable Tim Sylvia, who likewise had an insane size / reach advantage over the rest of the competition.

The truth about Jones is that his time was almost up anyway. Cormier was a good win, but again Jones is exceptional at exploiting his reach over smaller fighters. He wouldn't have had such advantages at HW, and would've been dealing with power he's not accustomed to.

Most people who take PEDs 'cycle'. They don't live on the stuff 24/7. You can see how unimpressive Jon looks off the sauce.

jon-jones-nov-19-instagram.0.0.jpg
Just noticed that it looks like he has acne in the second picture too.

Back