Who is Demian Maia of Boxing in MMA?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
Now this is the question that I've been pondering for a while, and now I feel like I have an answer.

This fighter can be also said to be an equivalent of

Crocop of kickboxing,
Machida of Karate,
Fedor of Combat Sambo/Judo
Yoshida of Judo,
Maia of BJJ
Askren of Wrestling,
Maybe Anderson/Shogun/Wanderlei of Muaythai,,

in MMA.

This fighter has to be someone who's one dimensional in using his BOXING Skills, and someone who actually have a boxing background, and who at least had some extensive MMA career, so not James Toney or Mercer, etc.

The answer, I think, is Fabio Brawlandado(sp?).

Though he gets quite a lot, and doesn't hit necessarily hard, I think this guy is pretty much what you might look like if you got a boxer off the street and put him in mma gloves and get him to fight MMA fights. And I think it's because he doesn't have a boxing glove to rely on, and his fighting style that he gets hit quite a bit, not necessarily that he has a poor defense techniques, and his boxing doesn't necessarily shine through in fights, not because it's not good enough, but because he lacks power or explosive.

Now, there are guys who have pretty good boxing like Diaz, Gomi, JDS, Conor, etc, but these guys really don't have amatuer or pro boxing background. There are guys like Jens, Davis and KJ Noons, but I don't think these guys are one dimensional like Fabio, and to be honest, though Fabio's boxing credentials gets shit on, I don't think Fabio's boxing credentials are necessarily worse than KJ and Davis's. Well, I guess that's up to another debate.

Conor McGregor.

Outboxed every single opponent of his in every fight, except for Nate Diaz I and Floyd fucking Mayweather.

GOAT.

Conor and Diaz bros. Cruz and Garbrandt.

Artem AKA Lord Lobov

Artem-Lobov-w-Hammer.jpg

There isn't one.

Nobody as high level in boxing as compared to Maia's BJJ credentials is in the UFC, nor will they ever be (Until they are well past their boxing prime of course).

The closest was prime JDS before the Cain trilogy, I remember the good ol days when he would just absolutely destroy everyone with just boxing it was ridiculous.

Maia is able to win BJJ tourneys at the highest level, you got wrestlers who got Olympic Gold medals, you got kickboxers who have won K1. While there is no one in MMA who has ever won or could win a title in Boxing. So there is no world class Boxer in MMA. Part of the reason is, if they were world class in Boxing they most likely would have stayed in Boxing.

Now this is the question that I've been pondering for a while, and now I feel like I have an answer.

This fighter can be also said to be an equivalent of

Crocop of kickboxing,
Machida of Karate,
Fedor of Combat Sambo/Judo
Yoshida of Judo,
Maia of BJJ
Askren of Wrestling,
Maybe Anderson/Shogun/Wanderlei of Muaythai,,

in MMA.

This fighter has to be someone who's one dimensional in using his BOXING Skills, and someone who actually have a boxing background, and who at least had some extensive MMA career, so not James Toney or Mercer, etc.

The answer, I think, is Fabio Brawlandado(sp?).

Though he gets quite a lot, and doesn't hit necessarily hard, I think this guy is pretty much what you might look like if you got a boxer off the street and put him in mma gloves and get him to fight MMA fights. And I think it's because he doesn't have a boxing glove to rely on, and his fighting style that he gets hit quite a bit, not necessarily that he has a poor defense techniques, and his boxing doesn't necessarily shine through in fights, not because it's not good enough, but because he lacks power or explosive.

Now, there are guys who have pretty good boxing like Diaz, Gomi, JDS, Conor, etc, but these guys really don't have amatuer or pro boxing background. There are guys like Jens, Davis and KJ Noons, but I don't think these guys are one dimensional like Fabio, and to be honest, though Fabio's boxing credentials gets shit on, I don't think Fabio's boxing credentials are necessarily worse than KJ and Davis's. Well, I guess that's up to another debate.
McGregor, Stipe, Gustafsson, people are gonna shit on me for this, but Woodley has some pretty good boxing too.

You should be ashamed of yourself for even thinking that this guy's boxing ability is some kind of high level representation of the sport.

You can't be a one dimensional striker and survive in mma, Holly Holm has the best boxing credentials in mma but to think she's one dimensional the way Maia is is crazy, she wouldn't be able to stop Rousey takedowns and avoid her grappling if that was the case.

Back