Bisping might retire after GSP fight

Actualized174

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
“Just, I’ve been here for so long,” Bisping explained. “I’ve done it for so long now, and there’s other things to do in life. I mean, I still love this, don’t get me wrong. But you can’t do it forever. You can’t do it forever, and Georges — Georges should’ve stayed retired. He should’ve retired as a champion. I’m going to beat Georges and I’ll retire as a champion, maybe. I haven’t made my mind up on that yet. It depends.

“If there’s enough money involved, maybe I’ll stick around. But as of right now, I don’t know. My family wants me to retire. My wife wants me to retire. There’s a lot of people saying, ‘Mike, you should retire.’ My manager says it. So everyone’s in my ear saying, ‘Mike, you should retire, you should retire as champion.’ I’ve earned some money along the way, I’ve had a great career, I’ve represented my country. I’ve achieved more through mixed martial arts than what I ever would’ve dreamed of. We can’t keep going forever. You’ve got to know when the time is right, and I’m not saying the time is right, but I am contemplating it.”

Bisping said his retirement has been a topic of discussion within his family since before his 2016 title shot against Rockhold. He said his wife wanted him to retire “win or lose” after that fight, but once he won the belt, he took that option off the table. But now, as Bisping inches closer to 40 years old and the opportunities available to him outside the fight game continue to grow, it’s a discussion he’s revisited ahead of UFC 217.

“It’s a 50/50 (chance I retire),” Bisping said. “It may or may not be. But not because — you know when you hear Dana (White) say, ‘When people start talking about retirement, that means they’re done.’ That doesn’t mean that at all. I’m just trying to think smartly here, because you can’t do it forever. You really can’t. And you’ve got to know when to walk away.

“Next year I’ve got three acting projects lined up that are all big — three big movies and a Netflix series. I’ve got things going on outside the Octagon and I’ve got money that I can earn outside of the Octagon. Ultimately, we do this for the money. You’re doing this right now because you want to earn money. I fight in the UFC because I want to earn money. And if I can earn money outside of the Octagon that’s just as good, that I don’t have to risk my health for, then it makes sense, and I can retire as the champion and parlay that into an active, successful career outside of the Octagon. And retiring a champion helps that. Retiring after you struggle through a ton of losses, and you once were champion and then you get seven shades of sh*t knocked out of you, you’re still making a payday — I’ve done myself an injustice there.”

Either way, Bisping made it clear that his final decision is one he likely won’t settle on until after the “GSP” fight, as he is still relishing every step of the journey towards Madison Square Garden and UFC 217.

“We’ll see,” Bisping said. “I’m still enjoying it. I’ve just had a great training session with (coach) Jason Parillo. Sparred five fives this morning, ran this morning. I’m going to go train tonight. The fire is still there, I’m still hungry as ever. I still love this sport and I’m going to put a beating on GSP like he’s never experienced. I’m going to remind him why he retired.”

https://www.mmafighting.com/2017/9/...georges-st-pierre-might-be-my-last-ever-fight

I don't think he will. Only when the UFC makes him fight an actual Middleweight will Bisping call it quits.

He's already preparing for that Bobby Knuckles duck.

white-duck-inclining-head-to-one-side-picture-id200202501-001
maxresdefault.jpg

Weakest male champ ever

Yes even Serra gets ranked above him.

He's already thinking about retirement and his upscoming movies won't be a good thing fighting against the hungriest George we have ever seen.

When George is hungry and beltless he's at his most dangerous point.

I see this going very,very bad for bisping now. George wants that MW strap he's never held.

The red coat wants to make movies, the motivation difference will be huge.

Don't blink lol

Somebody check on Rockhold. This is the last thing he wants to hear.

Well he Will lose so... Yeah!

HE WILL BE MISSED!!! After he retires as one of the all-time Middleweight Greats, I hope he starts a reality show where he tracks down stupid sherdoggers who talk shit and jabs them until their eyes bleed. Seriously, can you be more desperate for self-assurance than to shit on a cagefighter? A professional, championship-caliber one, too. Grow up and get some confidence people!

"50/50 chance" = either Bisping retires GSP, or GSP retires him?

I don't think he will. Only when the UFC makes him fight an actual Middleweight will Bisping call it quits.

Who else is there though? Woodley wont get a super fight, they hate him. MCG fights another guy 3 times his size?

Bisping defended and had a 3 fight streak before fighting for the belt. You're an idiot.

Hendo wasn't a contender, so I don't count a 13th ranked cherry picked opponent as a title defense. And the wins, 2/3 were mediocre ranked,with only post dick pill silva as noteworthy, and all 3 were decisions...

He better lose that belt in the octagon like a man. He has to fight a legit contender win lose or draw or he will remain mediocre in the history books. Great skill set but too much ducking of late.
th

Whatevs.

He'll always be this guy to me:
<15>

Bisping defended and had a 3 fight streak before fighting for the belt. You're an idiot.
Bisping's 3 fight win streak was a decision over CB Dolloway, a SD in the UK over Thales Leites in a fight I still think that Thales got royally screwed in, and a ducked a KO lost because AS didn't even attempt follow up shots after landing that volcano knee.

Serra signed up to fight Hughes and then GSP on short notice. The consensus number 2 and 1 WW at that time. And just so happen to be the number 2 and 1 WW GOATS.

And the equivalent to Bisping defending against Dan would have been Serra defending against Shoonie Carter. You don't get points for that.

Who else is there though? Woodley wont get a super fight, they hate him. MCG fights another guy 3 times his size?
More exciting fights than anything involved with McGregor getting KO'd at MW.
1500079555101.jpg

He beat anderson silver, he beat dan henderson and he beat luke rockhold...not bad in my eyes.

He ducked Romero, he ducks Whittaker, what a clown.

Back