Shogun Rua Apologizes to Fans After UFC Fight Night 117 Withdrawal

TheHNICuLuv2Hate

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Fighting has been my life for over 15 years. It’s what I chose for myself and what I love to do. For me it’s very hard to pull out of a fight, very hard, and accepting that was the only viable alternative wasn’t easy at all. Unfortunately, early in this camp, I hurt my knee. I spent the entire camp doing everything in my power so I could fight on September 23 (22 in Brazil), and I trained the entire time under medicine, protection in my knee, ice and physical therapy. I went beyond my limit because fighting in Japan again is something I’d been dreaming of for a long time, because I didn’t want to let the fans down, and because that’s how I was raised in martial arts by my master

I’ve stepped up to fight injured multiple times in my career, and it wasn’t for lack of effort or trying. But, unfortunately, all this effort ended up making the injuries worse, and there came a time when my team and I had to accept there were no alternatives, and I had to pull out of the fight. It wasn’t easy. I’d like to apologize to my opponent I’ve been in the same situation, including when we fought the first time, and I knew it’s never easy. And, mainly, apologize to the fans, especially those who were anxiously awaiting this fight. I will take care of my recovery now, heal my injuries and come back stronger. Challenges are put in front of us every day, and what really matters is how we face them. Thank you all for the kindness.

https://411mania.com/mma/shogun-rua-apologizes-fans-ufc-fight-night-117-withdrawal/

Nothing to apologize for Mr. Shogun.

We'll always love you (no homo...little bit of homo).

No need to apologize. Just retire already.

One of the best LHW fighters ever.

I've come to learn that Shogun is a brittle dude. Not mad or surprised that he's out because I know he's hasn't given up yet.

As I said in the replicated thread, he always fights injured so this sucks.

Shogun, eithrr fight on the card injured or retire. Shit is NOT going to be get better at this point.

Weak. If you are injured you are injured, and if you don't want to fight injured, you are doing the best thing for yourself and the people who depend on you.

To feel like you should apologize for doing the right thing for yourself, is a sign of weakness. Just my opinion.

I could wake up, go out to my car and see Shogun pouring sugar down my gas tank....and I still couldn't get mad at him.

There is only one fight left for old Shogun, vs old Rampage. Check the interview with Rampage from last nights MMA hour. Rampage is a free agent and want that fight. Its an Epic ending for both of them regardless who wins the fight. The biggest winners will be us though. Make it happen uncle Dana!

great, now he can fight:

anderson-silva-ufc-208-ceremonial-weigh-ins.jpg

It's a nice gesture to apologize but I'd be fine with him retiring at this point.

Weak. If you are injured you are injured, and if you don't want to fight injured, you are doing the best thing for yourself and the people who depend on you.

To feel like you should apologize for doing the right thing for yourself, is a sign of weakness. Just my opinion.

Cool opinion. Your fans must think you're a badass.

Cool opinion. Your fans must think you're a badass.
The thread is about Shogun, not me.

My fans are the sick people I take care of and their families. I am a nurse. I do something that actually matters. If I am not good at my job, people die.

Look it up. Medical errors are the 3rd leading cause of death in America. Shogun is an entertainer.

I spent the entire camp doing everything in my power so I could fight on September 23 (22 in Brazil), and I trained the entire time under medicine
Yeah...I realize this is just a weird reaction on my part, but I always get worried when guys start mentioning stuff like "medicine". It's either code for PEDs, or more likely pain killers. I don't want to imply that Shogun was doing anything wrong, for all I know USADA and his doctors were all on the same page and everything is completely legit.

It's just the word "medicine" that sends up flags for me. I used to be a pro wrestling fan, and I remember the horror stories that came from it. Everyone was destroying their bodies on a weekly basis, so they all became pain killer and PED junkies, and the results are pretty damn depressing.

MMA has all the potential to create some equally horrible stories.

Anyway....I'll shut up now lol.

BREAKING: a shogun thread not created by CereserBr

Last edited:
Back