How come Asian fighters never make it to the top?

• Thread starter Deleted member 500785
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 500785

As title says, why? It must be more than a lack of physical strength.

Well, there is that, and that is huge, as well as ones that dont train in thailand or America aren't on Juice like everyone else, also, don't weight cut nearly as much. Also, haven't updated their training in forever, as in never, as in same as 1995

does machida count as an asian? lol

It's definitely not lack of physical strength because Asians do great in weight lifting.

Well, there is that, and that is huge, as well as ones that dont train in thailand or America aren't on Juice like everyone else, also, don't weight cut nearly as much. Also, haven't updated their training in forever, as in never, as in same as 1995

shannon-discusses-bruce-lee-legacy2_a.jpg

As title says, why? It must be more than a lack of physical strength.

Physical strength is hardly the issue.

It's the lack of western wrestling, the lack of good boxing, the lack of gyms. There is no Jacksons in Japan, no Tristar Gym in Thailand, which is dominated by Muay Thai, there is no Team Alliance where Han Chinese can train at. If anything, Basketball is a bigger sport in China than fighting.

Sakuraba for his size was pound for pound amazing with all the drugs and fat he consumed. Ryo Chonan stood toe to toe with Anderson Silva even though he was a "can" lmao.

There are two South Asian (Burmese) MMA fighters I've seen with so-so records who are very physically strong (I met one of them personally), I'd say stronger than the majority of their opponents, but they move horribly in the ring, one of them being soundly beaten by Uriah Hall.

0,00000000000001% of asian people know about MMA.
If it was one of the olympic modalities, this is how they would probably do imo. Top 3 for sure.

11518001_f520.jpg

Japanese are killing it in Boxing right now. Koreans had few world champs until the sport died.
There are definitely talents in Asia. It seems people are generally disinterested in combat sport, specially MMA.

I'd disagree with the notion that it's really a cultural or genetic thing, if this is leaning there. There have been plenty of asian ufc title challengers (korean zombie, okami, horiguchi off the top of my head), and a good few top rated fighters in general right now (like DHK and doo ho choi).

Remember, since Arlovski in 2005 it took 10 years for us to get another European ufc champion, and there's no shortage of great fighters there. MMA's been pretty slow to develop in Asia outside of Japan, but that's starting to change, and you can't judge too much off Japan's smaller population

Why would I fight in the UFC when I can fight for One FC, the Asian version of the UFC?

Back