I think Rockhold should take his fights to the ground alot more

Kaiserjuan

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
His grappling, position control and gnp are amongst the best in the game. He might not be the best eva at bjj technique-wise but he surely is effective. Most of his finishes or at least a good deal of them are by submission.
His striking is overall ok, good and dangerous kicks to body and head but I feel his boxing is pretty weak, he has bad defense and gets into bad spots quite often.
Of course to fully implement a solid ground game he needs to sharpen his TDs, seeing as he mostly relies on trips and throws.
I think that a ground-oriented Rockold could be champ easily just as long as he doesn't meet jacare on the way...that fight would be a toss-up

That's how he became champ that one time that he was

Fighting Branch, Machida, and Weidman it has become obvious that his ground game is superior to his standup game.

It is odd how he seems to always want to go to his striking first and foremost, if that doesn't work, then he will go for the takedowns

His problem is his arrogance. He thinks he's a great striker so will stand until he gets hit.
Gee, with Luke's personality on view this passed 2 years, why would anyone ever think he was a stubborn dick?

I always wondered how a guy with such an amazing ground game had so poor offensive wrestling in general. Especially considering he trains with DC and Cain. He basically goes to the ground only by scrambles(he has excellent scrambles),I don't recall him going for the takedown in any of his fights prior to his last one. And he struggled a lot to take down Branch with that trip from the clinch.

That Bisping KO/choking out Bisping do suggest that TS theory is correct

He's got no TD.
He really should have developed an effective double leg by now.

His striking consists of a left body kick. His boxing is awful. Incredible ground game. Whittaker is the best MW after seeing Luke this weekend.

Rockhold has shit wrestling. Should really work on that considered all the work he puts in striking. Hes still a shit striker.

No, he is not a blanket, don't give him any ideas.

I don't think his body type is suitable for offensive wrestling, you need a more powerful build.
Same with jones, great defensive wrestler, great on the ground and in scrambles. both have those long body types.

That Bisping KO/choking out Bisping do suggest that TS theory is correct

He choked out bisping with one arm...He has an unreal ground game...nobody would beat this guy, if his game plan revolved more of his striking setting up his takedowns...but he took way too many shots against branch...He could have ended that fight, any time he wanted...all he had to do, was get him down...I haven't seen anyone get up, once luke gets you down...he just murders you....

He's got no TD.
He really should have developed an effective double leg by now.
Don't really need take downs when you can do this
ufc-172-rockhold-vs-boetsch1.gif

He choked out bisping with one arm...He has an unreal ground game...nobody would beat this guy, if his game plan revolved more of his striking setting up his takedowns...but he took way too many shots against branch...He could have ended that fight, any time he wanted...all he had to do, was get him down...I haven't seen anyone get up, once luke gets you down...he just murders you....

I agree. And if what others are saying is true, about his ground-game, then how can you hate him when he tries to finish people on the feet? I think it's admirable. He's trying to improve.

What if the opponent is not shooting? Belfort was happy to stand and trade, so was Bisping; both of them knocked Rockhold out. He is great at countering TDs, not so great at initiating them.

Well waiting for the other guy to grab for a single leg and reverse him might work sometimes, but I'd say a good power double would serve him a lot better.

He needs to stand in the pocket & trade hooks/uppercuts.

David "I hit really fucking hard" Branch couldn't wobble that granite chin.

what? rely on the other guy taking it to the ground? If guys just avoid the ground and box him, they can beat him. Branch was winning in the standup, then he kept foolishly going to the clinch and wall and stall, which gave Luke the opportunity to get the TD and win.

what? rely on the other guy taking it to the ground? If guys just avoid the ground and box him, they can beat him. Branch was winning in the standup, then he kept foolishly going to the clinch and wall and stall, which gave Luke the opportunity to get the TD and win.
What if the opponent is not shooting? Belfort was happy to stand and trade, so was Bisping; both of them knocked Rockhold out. He is great at countering TDs, not so great at initiating them.
Well if fights stay standing Luke might just end up waking up asking what happened. Doesn't matter a whole lot to me.

Back