Is it time for a change?

SrdjanPsy

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm a long time fan and MMA enthusiast, someone that grew up with Pride, K1 and old-school UFC and this has been troubling me recently more than Kim Jong-un. Though I've seen sport evolving greatly I feel that I often see fights that are almost not competitive or almost no strikes thrown/submittions attempted. Also match making is often limited and some divisions lack dept.

I blame the scoring system, that I find inappropriate for an actual battle (as I consider an MMA fight to be one). It has been the same (and very shady) through decades, and it produced bunch of "scorers", people that ignore the whole point of the fight-the finish. They don't fight to be a better fighter, they come in not to get punched and slightly outscore the opponent. Many built their careers like that. This Idea crossed my mind: the fight should be 3x5min with no contest call if not finished. Championship fights can add extra 10 min round if not finished in first 3... What do you think about that? I believe this model would get people to put on a real fight instead of counting their strikes, takedowns and octagon control and arguing if their statistic was better at the end?

Weight classes are a story of their own: people starving themselves to be in a less competitive weight class to climb up the ranks. I think weight classes should be more open-meaning you can fight people from other weight classes but hold the belt in the one you're most consistent, or hold multiple belts. Rankings would be slightly different and one of my ideas is it you're on a 3 fight win streak, you do a contender fight with an equal opponent and if you win you line up for the belt. Also belt holders should have a must fight with another champ weight class above our below after every two title defenses. I'm just throwing it out there, maybe tournament would be a solution or occasional unified title fights but anything that can get these people to show up at their best shape and be able to perform their best?

Just wanted to see what you guys think about this, do I have any supporters or is it just me thinking this way?

Last edited:
Yes it's time to change from one paragraph, to many paragraphs.

a9c.png

NHB was were it was at. Businessmen, tried to make it a sport and ruined what we had.

That proposal is a mess

Joined today, welcome to the gutter.

I read 2 paragraphs and....
I think that would only happen IF you own the UFC, or just start your own company. The UFC today will never do that, it is already sooo watered down already, maybe they are going PG in 10 years.

It's a martial arts competition, not a fight to the death. You win by executing your technique better than the other guy.

It's a martial arts competition, not a fight to the death. You win by executing your technique better than the other guy.
Simple example: football (soccer) match, one team plays much better, has lots of nice moves, shots on goal etc but no one scores -it's a draw!
Same applies to the fighting game, you can have all the technic in the world, if you don't win you don't win...

I read 2 paragraphs and....
I think that would only happen IF you own the UFC, or just start your own company. The UFC today will never do that, it is already sooo watered down already, maybe they are going PG in 10 years.
True, I just find it frustrating... Hope someone wealthy sees this as an opportunity...

Simple example: football (soccer) match, one team plays much better, has lots of nice moves, shots on goal etc but no one scores -it's a draw!
Same applies to the fighting game, you can have all the technic in the world, if you don't win you don't win...

That's not quite true, though. If no one scores in soccer, it goes to an alternate scoring method - a shootout. To continue the analogy, this would be similar to letting a fight go to a decision and having the judges score it. One team/fighter still comes out on top, even if they didn't score the finishing blow during regulation time.

And since we're looking at sports, a more apt example would be American football. If it's the last minute of the game and you need a touchdown to win, it doesn't matter if you throw twenty 5-yard passes (jabs/straights/etc.) or one 95-yard pass (haymaker knockout). Either way, you win.

Actually, soccer would probably be more entertaining if the match (if being a draw) was to go to the judges scorecard and the better team was awarded the win.

Back