Whittaker Would Take Rockhold's Head Off.

Arkridge

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed how lazy Rockhold's striking defense is? It's been pretty evident in his last two fights. Bisping lit him up for one of the biggest upset KOs in UFC history and in his return fight with Branch, he was getting lit up early with big punches. I was surprised none of those hurt him.

Don't get me wrong, Branch is a talented fighter but he isn't on Whittaker's level when it comes to boxing and overall power punching. Whittaker can dead you with one punch and that isn't something Branch is known for. If Rockhold went into a fight with Whittaker with this lazy striking defense that has been on display lately, he gets lit the fuck up, no question.

Rockhold benefits from being a long, rangy fighter. It can be hard for guys to get to his chin at times. This causes him to be a bit nonchalant and unconcerned with keeping his hands high. But as you can see from the Bisping fight, that is bound to catch up with him at times. If Branch was more of a power puncher, Rockhold would have been face first on the canvas.

Rockhold has fight like this his entire career, I'm honestly surprised this style of his didn't get him caught any sooner, but this is how he fights. I don't see it changing any time soon. All I know is, if he ends up fighting Whittaker, he's going to get caught eventually employing that style. And when he does, he isn't going to eat those punches as easily as he did against Branch.

Yeah, it looked almost for a sec like Branch might KO him, when he was teeing off on Luke up against the fence.

Whittaker is faster and hits a LOT harder.

I see Whittaker connecting too much on Rockhold and Luke is looking wobbly.

giphy.gif

Yeah, it almost for a sec like Branch might KO him, when he was teeing off on Luke up against the fence.

Whittaker is faster and hits a LOT harder.
When Branch was teeing off I was almost certain Rockhold was going to be in serious trouble, but man. Branch's power seemed almost non-existent.

Yeah.. Rob is a terrible matchup for him.

But the real question is... can Whittaker talk ghetto in a barbershop before the fight?

Has anyone noticed how lazy Rockhold's striking defense is? It's been pretty evident in his last two fights. Bisping lit him up for one of the biggest upset KOs in UFC history and in his return fight with Branch, he was getting lit up early with big punches. I was surprised none of those hurt him.

Don't get me wrong, Branch is a talented fighter but he isn't on Whittaker's level when it comes to boxing and overall power punching. Whittaker can dead you with one punch and that isn't something Branch is known for. If Rockhold went into a fight with Whittaker with this lazy striking defense that has been on display lately, he gets lit the fuck up, no question.

Rockhold benefits from being a long, rangy fighter. It can be hard for guys to get to his chin at times. This causes him to be a bit nonchalant and unconcerned with keeping his hands high. But as you can see from the Bisping fight, that is bound to catch up with him at times. If Branch was more of a power puncher, Rockhold would have been face first on the canvas.

Rockhold has fight like this his entire career, I'm honestly surprised this style of his didn't get him caught any sooner, but this is how he fights. I don't see it changing any time soon. All I know is, if he ends up fighting Whittaker, he's going to get caught eventually employing that style. And when he does, he isn't going to eat those punches as easily as he did against Branch.
Your reasoning is somehow flawed : after chokin´BS-Ping with one arm , I would too dismiss him and fight lazily...

And because of the BS situation at MW, tough to get pumped for a Branch fight...

No wonder he's calling out GSP who's half his size and is mostly a wrestler.

And i still wouldn't be surprised if Georges knock him out.
<GSPWoah>

Luke can't handle forward pressure and has a suspect chin. Robert by first round brutal KO.

Agreed. Whittaker is the prototype to beat Rockhold..

Rockholds defense is so poor he would be KOd by Bisping if .......

..... oh.. yes, that happened already.
He should really do somethig about his defense or no more titles for Luke.

Your reasoning is somehow flawed : after chokin´BS-Ping with one arm , I would too dismiss him and fight lazily...

And because of the BS situation at MW, tough to get pumped for a Branch fight...
Where are the flaws, exactly? Rockhold choking Bisping has nothing to do with the topic we're discussing, which is the striking. I think a fight between Whittaker and Rockhold would take place mainly on the feet. Whittaker has excellent footwork and distance control to go with quite possibly the best TDD in the division. Romero was having a very hard time getting Whittaker to the mat. Rockhold would struggle just as much. Whittaker was also on a bum knee for that fight.

That fight Will happen!

GSP NEED to fight Anderson Silva next.

No luke has a chance, he body kicks at the same range whittaker punches. I favour whittaker but luke can get it done with kicks. Gotta be on his bike the whole fight though, and good luck getting rob down. Whittaker TKO second round imo

There's a reason Luke hasn't mentioned Robs name

Where are the flaws, exactly? Rockhold choking Bisping has nothing to do with the topic we're discussing, which is the striking. I think a fight between Whittaker and Rockhold would take place mainly on the feet. Whittaker has excellent footwork and distance control to go with quite possibly the best TDD in the division. Romero was having a very hard time getting Whittaker to the mat. Rockhold would struggle just as much. Whittaker was also on a bum knee for that fight.
Rockhold´s obvious lazy striking was due to him being so over-confident and dismissing BS-Ping as a worthy opponent.

Rockhold´s obvious lazy striking was due to him being so over-confident and dismissing BS-Ping as a desserving opponent.
But that isn't the only fight he employs lazy striking defense. It's every fight.

Yup. I said it in the other Rockhold thread. He's gotten bad with his striking defense. Hands down, chin up and blocking punches with his face. He's going to get slept again if he doesnt fix that. I know part of the reason is, he's setting up big kicks, but when near the fence its going to be his downfall.

Prior to winning the belt he seemed like a complete fighter.

Last edited:
But that isn't the only fight he employs lazy striking defense. It's every fight.
Every fight? I cant neither confirm or deny this.

He obviously has this cockiness problem, knowing he´s fighting below his real weight class...

On a sidenote: remember everybody, even BW Faber, was mocking BS-Ping´s punching power back then...

Back