How can someone judge both high-level MMA and boxing?

EGarrett

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
So Adelaide Byrd has been "disciplined," which consists of them saying they "won't use her for high-level fights for awhile." But I was shocked when I realized that she judges both UFC fights and boxing main events.

How the heck can one person be qualified to do that? I would think for a gigantic world-championship boxing fights, you would want retired boxers or trainers like Freddie Roach or Teddy Atlas (if they could be objective). And likewise for MMA.

But even then, I can't imagine Roach trying to judge an MMA contest, let alone someone who has no apparent background in either trying to judge both. This seems to be the most damning thing about the whole screwed-up process.

She has zero clue about boxing and mma and is corrupt as hell.
So at least she is consistent and as good in boxing as in mma.

You can't use guys like Roach, because he is personally too involved in many fighters.
And you can't use Teddy Atlas as he also has no clue about boxing and never had. He picks fights worse than Brendan Schaub.

She has zero clue about boxing and mma and is corrupt as hell.
So at least she is consistent and as good in boxing as in mma.

You can't use guys like Roach, because he is personally too involved in many fighters.
And you can't use Teddy Atlas as he also has no clue about boxing and never had. He picks fights worse than Brendan Schaub.
As opposed to Adelaide Byrd? What's her background?

How can a person speak two languages fluently?

If she sucks, she sucks. Has nothing to do with not being able to judge mma as well as boxing.

It's a bit weird, yeah. I think that maybe refs, herb, big john, when they're "done" being referees, they should take up judging instead.
Or having retired fighters do it (though it can be problematic if the same camps or former teammates fight.) I hope they'll do something, because as it stands right now, the judging is a disaster.

need more byrds

Last edited:
Nobody really scores MMA well. Half don't know what to do with kicks and such. To start with, MMA doesn't even do scoring properly. Pride rules in terms of scoring were more in line with being a rule set for determining winners in MMA than using the scoring system from another sport, and just inserting it into another.

How can a person speak two languages fluently?

If she sucks, she sucks. Has nothing to do with not being able to judge mma as well as boxing.
Funny that you used that example, because high-level writing can't be fully appreciated in more than one language either and it's been a problem in literature circles for centuries.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2005/11/07/the-translation-wars

"Translators are, for eternity, sent up, put down, nitpicked, and, finally, overturned. The objects of their attentions dread their ministrations. Cervantes complained that reading a translation was “like looking at the Flanders tapestries from behind: you can see the basic shapes but they are so filled with threads that you cannot fathom their original lustre.”"

I would do well judging both, so don't act like it's impossible.

Nobody really scores MMA well. Half don't know what to do with kicks and such. To start with, MMA doesn't even do scoring properly. Pride rules in terms of scoring were more in line with being a rule set for determining winners in MMA than using the scoring system from another sport, and just inserting it into another.
Agreed. IIRC the UFC used to have special judges for grappling, striking etc. (I think Eddie Bravo was the grappling judge at one point). This seemed like a great idea...but they took a step backward when the Commissions took over and just forced their own model over it.

You don't need any qualifications to be a judge. They will let any fucking moron do it

it was hard to accept but I've come to realise its all business at the pro level.

People act like she's the only corrupt one. Another judge gave it a 114-114, making it a draw, so even if Byrd scored it 115-113 for Canelo It still would have been a draw. The 114-144 was ridiculous as well. The whole thing was corrupt.

Funny that you used that example, because high-level writing can't be fully appreciated in more than one language either and it's been a problem in literature circles for centuries.

The problem with translations in litterature isn't as much two languages colliding and someone not "getting it", as much as it's the simple matter of words in different languages not sounding the same or meaning the exact same. It's (i.e) far more difficult to translate poems than it is novels.

In combat sports a punch is a punch. It doesn't really have to be translated. The sound of people punching each other is the same. The aggression at display (by which you're judging) is the same. It doesn't have to rhyme - nothing is lost in translation, as long as you've got the basic grasp of it.

Looking at the guys no bullshit personality, I would say Roach would be the first guy to tell you that he is not qualified to judge mma. That alone gives him a leg up over a lot of people in my opinion.

I am not sure how they select judges but it is probably just apply and go through some training, learn the rules and work your way up, just like any other job. There is no excuse for such inconsistent judges in either sport. Corrupt or incompetent are both unacceptable, especially when they are supposed to be experienced to work at that level.

Back