OSP vs. Okami = Rumble vs Yoshida?

mkt

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Huge size discrepancy. Contrary to what some are saying, Okami isn't a big MW. Big MWs can't cut to WW. Imagine Rockhold, Romero, Chael or Bisping trying to make 170.

Pound for pound, prime vs.prime, I think Okami is a better fighter. But OSP is a huge LHW who KO'd Shogun and Cummins, and gave Volkan a very competitive fight. Okami lost to Fitch at WW and has been KO'd by Branch, Boestch and others. He was never the same after the Anderson fight.

Like Yoshida at WW, I seriously doubt Okami will cut anything to make LHW.

I know they wanted to keep OSP on the card, but this isn't good matchmaking.

Subtle racist thread

When was Okami last at WW?
Serious question, has he been back down there since Rumble on the Rock?

Okami isn't a big MW. Big MWs can't cut to WW. Imagine Rockhold, Romero, Chael or Bisping trying to make 170.
Imagine Rumble cutting to WW bro.
Or better yet, imagine Whittaker or Gastelum moving up to MW from WW?! They're certainly too small to compete with the opposition.

Imagine Rumble cutting to WW bro
Or better yet, imagine Whittaker or Gastelum moving up to MW from WW?! They're certainly too small to compete with the opposition.

It wasn't pretty, but when you walk in 30 pounds heavier and a you're a strong wrestler and much bigger/better striker against a small judo guy, it's like an early UFC mismatch (before weight classes).

Cause Whittaker/Gastelum are so comparable to a past-his-prime, 36-year old, chinny grappler with zero KO power?

Last edited:
When was Okami last at WW?
Serious question, has he been back down there since Rumble on the Rock?

Late 2015 vs. Fitch. I think he may have been at WW in his latest 2 fights, but I'm not 100% sure.

Just say it out, he sucks.

Big, strong guy who's mediocre at best in all areas...but a huge size advantage and so-so modern MMA skills are all you need when fighting a much smaller fighter who can't KO you and probably can't get you to the ground (or keep you there for long).

Late 2015 vs. Fitch. I think he may have been at WW in his latest 2 fights, but I'm not 100% sure.
Thanks, for some reason I thought he (Fitch) moved up but apparently that was just for one fight

Thanks, for some reason I thought he (Fitch) moved up but apparently that was just for one fight

I'm happy to see Okami back, but I'd like to see him fight someone his size. GSP would make a lot more sense than OSP.

Ummm no. OSP has nowhere near that much KO power and Okami isn't a can.

Ummm no. OSP has nowhere near that much KO power and Okami isn't a can.

OSP has way more than enough power to KO Okami, though, and the weight difference will be similar. If Cummins (D1 wrestler and full-size LHW) couldn't implement his game plan long enough to last a round with OSP, please tell me what Okami is supposed to do?

Okami better land a knee (ala) tanner fight or he is screwed.

OSP has way more than enough power to KO Okami, though, and the weight difference will be similar. If Cummins (D1 wrestler and full-size LHW) couldn't implement his game plan long enough to last a round with OSP, please tell me what Okami is supposed to do?

Okami by UD. He's the more fundamentally sound fighter.

Okami by UD. He's the more fundamentally sound fighter.

Like I said, I think Okami is (or was) better P4P, but size and style match-ups are huge factors in MMA. By your reasoning, a top 10 FW should beat a Top 20 WW.

If Okami has no success with his grappling, what do you expect him to do?

Like I said, I think Okami is (or was) better P4P, but size and style match-ups are huge factors in MMA. By your reasoning, a top 10 FW should beat a Top 20 WW.

If Okami has no success with his grappling, what do you expect him to do?

I have not seen Okami fight in years, I think since his last UFC bout, so I don't know how much he still has or how much he's declined therefore I'm not predicting a victory for him.

OSP is not a great fighter though. Best win is a flash KO of past prime Shogun. The only reason he's top 10 is a weak LHW division.

Back